[Rejected pitch] Diddy Kong Racing Adventures

Glowsquid

Shine Sprite
Retired Forum Mod
Retired Wiki Staff
'Shroom Consultant
In 2004, British racing game developer Climax pitched a Diddy Kong Racing sequel to Nintendo for the Gamecube, which was rejected for unknown reasons. The pitch proposed the return of Wizpig and DKR's story mode strucutre, the ability to change vehicles mid-race and special moves for each characacters.

Absolutely nobody heard of this until yesterday, when video game archivist Borman acquired the prototype and made a video about it.

What a great discovery! Does this mean there are 3 sequels to Diddy Kong Racing (Diddy Kong Pilot, Donkey Kong Racing and this)?

didnt play all the way through the story mode in dkr but i thought the game was pretty damn good and to see that a rather interesting sequel like this didnt come to light is rather sad, as it sounds really neat and even the prototype doesnt look too bad in appearance either, what a shame but rather a neat find all the same.

Wow, why is it only today did we hear about this concept? I like the ideas in this concept, sounds really interesting as I love Diddy Kong Racing.

Man, you can also change the weather and day/night conditions. Plus, there were going to be several kinds of vehicles, including bikes and buggies I believe?

With the whole vehicle customization, changing position on your vehicle, and changing vehicles mid-race, already sounded better than Mario Kart is right now.

GmanSir said:
You have a higher chance of a new F-Zero game than a new DKR .

Every attempt to make a Diddy Kong game after DKR got shitcanned. He is well and truly cursed.

what about diddy kong racing ds? :P

what is so bad about diddy kong racing ds anyway?

I've never played it or done any real research on it so im kinda curious and this seems like a pretty good topic to ask that question.

Diddy Kong Racing DS forced you to use a stylus to spin the tires or helicopter propeller or blow into the microphone to get a boost start from the race unlike the original where you just have to time it right. I don't have too much problems with it, but that is the most forced touch screen control I've ever experienced, and it's extremely intrusive to the entire game.

The Silver Coin missions were replaced by a touch-screen Balloon thing, although I actually prefer the touch-screen Balloon thing because I really hate Silver Coins, but both are pretty awful; one is too ridiculously difficult while the other is boring as hell; it peddles into both areas of unfun gameplay.

Character voices are butchered beyond all belief (what the hell did they do to Diddy Kong, Tiptup, Taj, and Drumstick's voices?) and some of the music in the game got replaced by inferior songs, with Pirate Lagoon's and Jungle Falls songs being replaced entirely (and Pirate Lagoon/Treasure Caves was one of my favorite tunes from the original Diddy Kong Racing).

You don't get character-specific colors for vehicles any more, you just use a slider that changes the hue of your car. It's a very lazy way to introduce custom colors in the game, rather than just make your vehicle white by default and pick colors from there using either color pickers or how Garry's Mod handled it when some objects use custom materials to custom-color some vehicles.

I did really love the vehicle customization system, though, but even so, only the speed upgrades are really useful and some upgrades are downright useless, such as upgrades that increase a plane's acceleration (all planes share the same acceleration no matter what). The rest can look nice but won't win you as much races as the speed increasing ones. What also makes it worse that you have to grind a lot of races endlessly for coins, that wasn't nice at all.

Oh and did I mention that Diddy Kong Racing DS got rid of barrel rolls and doing flips with planes? Those were fun to do in the original. Magic Codes are also gone as well, and I hate that too, because they were also fun to mess with. They also messed up controls for the plane and hovercraft but I think I eventually got used to those controls.

I also like how you can get special items such as Triple Missiles Surrounding you or Fake Coins. That's a plus I say for the game.

The level editor is so cheap and stupid that I'd rather not mention it. It may as well not be in the game.

The new tracks are all forgettable and bland. That's all I can say about them.

All of that being said, it's not a bad game since it's still mostly Diddy Kong Racing and I had fun with it. It's still a really botched port of a fine game, though.

Back