2001: A Mario Odyssey

Hallefuckinglujah!!!! I have been waiting for a new open world Mario platform game for years! I'm so tired of all the homages of the 2D games! Finally an original Mario game and it looks amazing!

Just as long as we don't start getting a billion 64 homages.

id rather them focus entirely on new stuff.

We've had enough homages over the years.

Fresh Bowser said:
I do want to see a level from 64 appear here like Whomp's Fortress appeared in SMG2.

Bob-omb Battlefield as a secret level pls.

One thing I want from this game...I want it to be challenging as the game progresses. That's another big problem I have with these games recently is they're too damn easy. I think I've beaten New Super Mario Bros U in 3 days! And it's not because "I feel like a God", no these games were basically designed this way and I'm tired of it! I hope this one doesn't constantly hold your hand. And I don't mean throw everything but the kitchen sink challenging.

supermariofan said:
One thing I want from this game...I want it to be challenging as the game progresses. That's another big problem I have with these games recently is they're too dang easy. I think I've beaten New Super Mario Bros U in 3 days! And it's not because "I feel like a God", no these games were basically designed this way and I'm tired of it! I hope this one doesn't constantly hold your hand. And I don't mean throw everything but the kitchen sink challenging.

You are right about the new games being too easy. I think they are still enjoyable, but they need to be at least a little hard. And honestly, seeing the trailer, I feel like it is going to be a pretty difficult game. I have my hopes up.

Mario games have never ever been particularly difficult, and they've been designed that way all the time. Even though they are trying to appeal to the core audience now, it will probably retain difficulty levels of 64 and Sunshine, and neither are difficult games.

well a game can be fun without hard difficulty, real problem is that sometimes marios features dont quite add enough for that to matter, especially with its awful boss fights that arent fun to fight, just kinda there in the way.

Mario's history with lame boss fights is why I'm not thrilled to see that pink bird thing or those dumb rabbits, because most likely they'll be there for one fight, you obliterate them, and they never show up in another Mario game again.

yeah ive found the boss's underwhelming in every game and you could argue thats how its always been but that doesnt mean they should make the bosses more interesting. They're many games where boss fights are the best part of the game(like castlevania or later metroid games).

It's gotten kinda old that bosses just kinda exist there to make progress and not deliver an impacting fun time.

Agreed.

Like does anyone remember Sorbetti?

Or Rodollio?

Or King Ka-Thunk?

They're all bosses that have incredibly lame and boring boss fights and thus, very forgettable.

supermariofan said:
You want a game with impactful boss fights? Try Kingdom Hearts.

i dont want kingdom hearts, i want mario.

and that doesnt really have any relevance whatsoever.

Baby Luigi said:
Agreed.

Like does anyone remember Sorbetti?

Or Rodollio?

Or King Ka-Thunk?

They're all bosses that have incredibly lame and boring boss fights and thus, very forgettable.

They should bring back King Ka-Thunk and his whole gimmick is that nobody takes him seriously.

Zae Eildus said:
supermariofan said:
You want a game with impactful boss fights? Try Kingdom Hearts.

i dont want kingdom hearts, i want mario.

and that doesnt really have any relevance whatsoever.

Nobody wants Kingdom Hearts, the game and fandom is dead now until 3 is released. Not that I care about Kingdom Hearts.

Fukanōna said:
You are right about the new games being too easy.
Mario games were never hard.

And Super Mario World's difficulty is on par with 3D World and New Super Mario Bros. games.

Mcmadness said:
They should bring back King Ka-Thunk and his whole gimmick is that nobody takes him seriously.
That's a swell idea. Shows that Nintendo is actually aware how lame and forgettable a lot of their bosses are.

In Super Mario 3D World's case, exactly zero of them.

General Shy Guy and Crystal King get a pass for their memorable themes, but it also had its share of bosses that were lame.

Thousand-Year Door had Smorgs. Who remembers Smorgs???

Back