Is the New Super Mario Bros. series underrated?

Is the New Super Mario Bros. series underrated?

• Yes

Votes: 11 39.3%
  • No

Votes: 17 60.7%

• Total voters
NSY said:
Then there's the boss battles, when you restrict your bosses to Koopalings and Bowser you can't do that much while the other games allowed to create whatever they want since they didn't have that barrier. Look at some the bosses in recent Kirby games and compare them to the Koopalings.
Lord Bowser said:
mario would benefit immensely by borrowing even a fraction of the creativity that kirby games have. I mean, look at the kirby final bosses (and bosses in general) as of late;

• king dedede, but massively upgraded to make him look like a badass (along with epic battle music)
  • a magic jester who betrays you and attacks with weird and powerful abilities
  • a pink version of meta knight who somehow manages to get more badass every time you see him
  • a dragon-hydra hybrid that's the guardian of what is essentially the key to ultimate power
  • a mage who asks you to help rebuild his ship so he can head back home, only to betray you and attack as a cruel, powerful wizard
  • a gigantic wasp queen who wants to make popstar her eternal substenance by controlling a magical beanstalk (and turning into a massive, beautiful yet intimidating flower in the process)
  • and best of all...
    a sentient supercomputer bent on the complete annihilation of history in the name of eternal prosperity
meanwhile, the nsmb series has...
  • bowser jr
  • bowser
  • the koopalings
  • kamek
  • more koopalings
  • more bowser
  • etc.
you see the difference?
If Nintendo didn't get creative with the Koopalings in the NSMB series, this doesn't mean that the Koopalings cannot have creative boss battles. That being said, I'd rather have them as NPCs or playable characters, I'm not very fond of systematically humiliating my favorite characters...

Dr. Alphys said:
MarioNSMBWii.PNG

This piece of artwork from NSMBW is great because it perfectly illustrates what happened to Mario in these games. The only way it could have been better is if he was in his T-pose. There's no charme or life to this render. Nobody stands like that, unless they're getting their prison mugshot taken or something. This Mario is dead, held up by strings and wires. You can move him around and make him do stuff, but other than that there's just nothing there.
I'll have to mildly disagree with you here that I don't think this picture is necessarily supposed to capture Mario's action and personality. This artwork seems intentionally basic and suited for promotional material. I think it's a great neutral pose, actually, and it suits very well for wikis and drawing and just as an illustration, yet it doesn't look zanky like a T-pose. I think singling out this render is not being really fair, especially when New Super Mario Bros. Wii has its own renders where Mario is in a more lively pose.

Anyway, I see your point otherwise that Mario is a bit... lifeless, but I have to blame it on Nintendo being a little too enthusiastic on trying to preserve Mario's appealing image, like they're scared of exaggerating Mario's face just like in a cartoon. Notice that his facial expressions rarely, if ever, grossly exaggerate. Mario always seems to go through these emotions: joy, neutral, disappointment, determined, some surprise. That's pretty much it (it's even worse in Paper Mario, that expressions aren't conveyed as much thanks to the lack of eyebrows, the most expressive part of the face), but the problem is that none of them are exaggerated as you see in the Rayman games. Maybe even Kirby too, but Kirby has kawaii cuteness while Mario's cuteness is... an acquired thing.

If you guys are really sick of stale world themes, you really oughta play Newer. Made me like New Super Mario Bros. Wii.

Striker Mario said:
Dr. Alphys said:
MarioNSMBWii.PNG

This piece of artwork from NSMBW is great because it perfectly illustrates what happened to Mario in these games. The only way it could have been better is if he was in his T-pose. There's no charme or life to this render. Nobody stands like that, unless they're getting their prison mugshot taken or something. This Mario is dead, held up by strings and wires. You can move him around and make him do stuff, but other than that there's just nothing there.
I'll have to mildly disagree with you here that I don't think this picture is necessarily supposed to capture Mario's action and personality. This artwork seems intentionally basic and suited for promotional material. I think it's a great neutral pose, actually, and it suits very well for wikis and drawing and just as an illustration, yet it doesn't look zanky like a T-pose. I think singling out this render is not being really fair, especially when New Super Mario Bros. Wii has its own renders where Mario is in a more lively pose.

Anyway, I see your point otherwise that Mario is a bit... lifeless, but I have to blame it on Nintendo being a little too enthusiastic on trying to preserve Mario's appealing image, like they're scared of exaggerating Mario's face just like in a cartoon. Notice that his facial expressions rarely, if ever, grossly exaggerate. Mario always seems to go through these emotions: joy, neutral, disappointment, determined, some surprise. That's pretty much it (it's even worse in Paper Mario, that expressions aren't conveyed as much thanks to the lack of eyebrows, the most expressive part of the face), but the problem is that none of them are exaggerated as you see in the Rayman games. Maybe even Kirby too, but Kirby has kawaii cuteness while Mario's cuteness is... an acquired thing.

If you guys are really sick of stale world themes, you really oughta play Newer. Made me like New Super Mario Bros. Wii.
I think Nintendo is trying to make Mario as neutral as possible, a blank character that fits with everyone and that everyone fills with his own personality.

He's not wholly blank. And I don't think it's a right approach to make Mario's personality commensurate with the player's because it deprives Mario himself as an individual character. People want interesting characters, not boring ones meant to be filled in. The few times where a silent character works are when players create it and are in charge with their design, allowing them to attach themselves to the game. Mario... isn't that. He's his own character and he should really be given a bit more of a personality.

But even then, you get Luigi and the two Toads in those poses as well. Just throwing that out there.

NSY said:
The things is New Super Mario Bros games aren't bad on their own but the problem is that when you start comparing those games to other modern 2D platformers, that these games could of been so much more. When you play the modern Donkey Kong, Kirby or Rayman games you realise that these are a lot less generic and do more with core elements set around them and it exposes New Super Mario Bros main issue, that it's just forgettable. It throws a bunch of levels that aren't bad but just make you go meh, and while you may be enjoying yourself playing those stages, your not gonna remember them while every level I played in DKCR I played had something unique and special about it.

Then there's the boss battles, when you restrict your bosses to Koopalings and Bowser you can't do that much while the other games allowed to create whatever they want since they didn't have that barrier. Look at some the bosses in recent Kirby games and compare them to the Koopalings.

You have a point about the levels generally not being unique from each other in the NSMB games, but at least all the Worlds in those games are different and unique.

It's not like these games are totally devoid of innovation. Me and another user has already pointed out the innovative aspects that the NSMB series has to offer.

I'm not saying the NSMB games are perfect or anything, but they are far from being bad games, and I still think they are underrated.

If anything it's starting to become overrated.

*cough*nsmbwandnsmbu*cough*

I think it deserves its praise for its solid gameplay and deserves criticism for being retreads that sit way too closely with nostalgia. That being said, New Super Mario Bros. is my favorite Mario platforming series, though, because I grew up with them, simply. I grew up with those character voice effects, for instance, and it feels very jarring that the older games lack those, something I can't really get used to. Even in Super Mario Bros. X, I wish for addition of voice effects. I also grew up with wall jumping, ground-pounding, multitudes of powerups, triple jumps, and probably the New Super Mario Bros. soundtrack, which I don't find any more forgettable than Super Mario Bros. 3's soundtrack or worse than Super Mario World's soundtrack.

There is also modding those games, but that's a different story and it's not really fair to rate New Super Mario Bros. highly for that because it wasn't intended to be modded. But it still stands, I am confident that Newer Super Mario Bros. may change your perspective of what kind of potential New Super Mario Bros. games have and it'll probably spoil you too. Just as long as you look past the somewhat sleepy soundtrack (I changed it myself, but it made me love the mod probably more than if I didn't change it) and the world map designs (though it's because the team's modelers weren't available).

Mister Wu said:
If Nintendo didn't get creative with the Koopalings in the NSMB series, this doesn't mean that the Koopalings cannot have creative boss battles. That being said, I'd rather have them as NPCs or playable characters, I'm not very fond of systematically humiliating my favorite characters...

New Super Mario Bros. U did try to make the Koopaling boss fights more diverse, though this doesn't exactly change the fact that they can easily be taken down if you time your jump attacks just right.

Striker Mario said:
Dr. Alphys said:
MarioNSMBWii.PNG

You missed my point there. I picked this artwork not to single it out, but because to me it perfectly illustrates the direction Nintendo took with the NSMB franchise and how lifeless and plasticy everything feels. I don't really care what it was intended for, or why it looks the way it looks. I'm taking it for what it is: A perfect metaphor.

Also, it's not really necessary to grossly exaggerate facial expressions to show life. Just do... anything but a full frontal shot staring directly into the camera while holding an unnaturally stiff pose, and you're usually good. Actually, if you want a good example, look at all the little scenes that Super Mario Strikers Charged did for their characters.

i've only played the first two, but i found them enjoyable enough. i didn't find many of the stages in the first game memorable but i liked how the castle bosses were all different and not just koopalings.

you can say these games are generic, and honestly i'd agree in a lot of regards, but they were a pretty good gateway for people who were new to the series or who didn't usually play video games in general. i mean, nsmb on the ds was the first mario game i played for a number of years back in ~2006. and back then a whole load of people i knew - whether they were massively into video games or not - had a ds and had that game.

also i'd also say co-op was definitely a large step for the series, and still gives the games that have it an element of replay value, if you have people to play it with.

but either way, definitely not underrated.

NSMB1 is unique because it brings back 2D Mario and introduces triple jumping, wall jumping, and the Mega Mushroom. It is also the only game in the series with unique boss characters, and even introduces a new recurring villain (Dry Bowser).

NSMBW is unique because it introduces simultaneous multiplayer in Mario platformers. However, it is far too focused on fixing NSMB1's issues (it was too easy, it looked like a flash game...).

NSMB2 is unique not because of what it introduces (there is not much to say on that side) but because of what it focuses on: Mario's arcade roots. Coin collecting and speed running. Also, the Super Leaf is back!

NSMBU is unique with the liberties it takes with the music and art (although it reuses some themes...) but also cares more about focusing on already existing elements: multiplayer, difficulty, alternate exits...

NSLU has the novelty of having every counter start too late, and focuses even more on difficulty and speedrunning. And the second Luigi game EAD makes, after Luigi's Mansion.

The series does get repetitive as there is much less diversity in the 4 games than in the original 5 classics. But not enough credit is given to what the games actually try to do and how they do it. NSMB2 might have the most sterile presentation it could, but it is my favorite NSMB game because of what it focuses on and because of the more vertical level design and tightly-packed levels. I just hope that with Mario Maker, they'll stop with the NSMB brand, but I still think the games tend to be underrated (and NSMB1 tends to be overrated).

Lord Bowser said:
mario would benefit immensely by borrowing even a fraction of the creativity that kirby games have. I mean, look at the kirby final bosses (and bosses in general) as of late;

• king dedede, but massively upgraded to make him look like a badass (along with epic battle music)
  • a magic jester who betrays you and attacks with weird and powerful abilities
  • a pink version of meta knight who somehow manages to get more badass every time you see him
  • a dragon-hydra hybrid that's the guardian of what is essentially the key to ultimate power
  • a mage who asks you to help rebuild his ship so he can head back home, only to betray you and attack as a cruel, powerful wizard
  • a gigantic wasp queen who wants to make popstar her eternal substenance by controlling a magical beanstalk (and turning into a massive, beautiful yet intimidating flower in the process)
  • and best of all...
    a sentient supercomputer bent on the complete annihilation of history in the name of eternal prosperity

meanwhile, the nsmb series has...
  • bowser jr
  • bowser
  • the koopalings
  • kamek
  • more koopalings
  • more bowser
  • etc.

you see the difference?

It's not who they are that matters but what they do with them.

Any chance I get to post a Dunkey video, you know I'm gonna.

Anyway, here's his thoughts on the Wii U installment.

Mcmadness said:
Lord Bowser said:

the kirby games do indeed do a lot with their bosses and final bosses; if anything, they're rather well known for going all out with their finales. sure, they tend to be on the easy side, but they all have a large amounts of really cool-looking attacks, and it really feels like they're giving it their all.

in kirby, you get stuff like paint rain, black holes, massive lasers, sentient flowers, bosses using your super abilities against you, explosive robots, and (most important of all to me imo) health bars. they all need several hits to defeat, while in nsmb, three jumps or a switch and that's it.

nsmb bosses mostly consist of shooting balls of magic, jumping around, and breathing fire. after that, there really isn't much of anything at all.

Dr. Alphys said:
You missed my point there. I picked this artwork not to single it out, but because to me it perfectly illustrates the direction Nintendo took with the NSMB franchise and how lifeless and plasticy everything feels. I don't really care what it was intended for, or why it looks the way it looks. I'm taking it for what it is: A perfect metaphor.
I see. Though "plasticy", "stiff", and "generic" might be a good representation, it still doesn't really represent "lifeless", so apt, but not perfect. I think Paper Mario and Brawl Mario play those roles. This Mario render still stands out as "fun and inviting" to me.

Striker Mario said:
I think it deserves its praise for its solid gameplay and deserves criticism for being retreads that sit way too closely with nostalgia. That being said, New Super Mario Bros. is my favorite Mario platforming series, though, because I grew up with them, simply. I grew up with those character voice effects, for instance, and it feels very jarring that the older games lack those, something I can't really get used to. Even in Super Mario Bros. X, I wish for addition of voice effects. I also grew up with wall jumping, ground-pounding, multitudes of powerups, triple jumps, and probably the New Super Mario Bros. soundtrack, which I don't find any more forgettable than Super Mario Bros. 3's soundtrack or worse than Super Mario World's soundtrack.

There is also modding those games, but that's a different story and it's not really fair to rate New Super Mario Bros. highly for that because it wasn't intended to be modded. But it still stands, I am confident that Newer Super Mario Bros. may change your perspective of what kind of potential New Super Mario Bros. games have and it'll probably spoil you too. Just as long as you look past the somewhat sleepy soundtrack (I changed it myself, but it made me love the mod probably more than if I didn't change it) and the world map designs (though it's because the team's modelers weren't available).
I think this clarifies why I'm a bit alien about part of the comments on this thread: I grew up at the end of the NES/SNES era (where the Koopalings were naturally part of the cast, even in other media) and followed the Mario games and franchise until the GBA/GCN era, then the university and the need to focus on other aspects of life made me skip the Wii/DS era. I came back in the Wii U era only because I won a Wii U at the end of 2013. When I bought MK8, the interest in the Koopalings (that, remember, were featured in M&L:SS so I pretty much left with them and Bowser Jr., although the last Mario game I had at the time was PM:TTYD) rose again and in fact I'm here because of Mario Kart first, and then because of the Koopalings (I really liked the Koopalings#Family_relationship section that thoroughly expalined that my friends and I weren't visionary nor victims of bad translations at the time with the Koopalings being Bowser's children).

Actually, my interest in the NSMB series grew because of the Koopalings, as remember, I had skipped it completely and frankly, its presentation - even in the naming! - was so uninspiring I wouldn't have touched it until much later if it wasn't for them.

So, yes, part of the complaints here about the Koopalings are alien to me, like for real :bowjr: .

Regarding the games I played (NSMBW and NSMBU, I have yet to begin NSMB seriously), I think they do what they are meant to do, offering a gameplay and a simplicity similar to that of the older games while offering some important modern additions (physics, moveset, simultaneous multiplayer and so on). They don't seem to have the aim of being as groundbreaking as SMB, SMB3, SMW and SM64 were at the time (I was in most of that time!). And quite frankly, even SM3DW doesn't seem to have that aim, in my opinion. I think the last game that legitimately had that aim was Super Mario Galaxy.

This does not make them bad games, though, I now find them neat (well Dry Bowser isn't very neat especially since Bowser fell in the lava many times before and nothing happened while NSMB had that Super Metroidesque cutscene at the end of the first boss, but you get the point...), with a decent difficulty level - except for the a-bit-dreadful 9-7 in NSMBW - not to say that NSMBU even tried having some decent not-too-generic backgrounds, and since now the main series Mario games rightfully don't use most of the classic cast - no problem with that, as long as we have interesting characters and species like King Bob-Omb, Dorrie, Petey Piranha, the rabbits, Piantas, Lokis, Tanukis, Plessie, the Toad Brigade with Captain Toad, the penguins, Gobblegut, Rosalina, Pom Pom, the Hisstocrats and indirectly, Wingo and Draggadon coming out of them - it's nice to see Mario platform games with the classic cast - but really, give some stamina to the Koopalings, they are painfully easy since SMB3!

Lord Bowser said:
the kirby games do indeed do a lot with their bosses and final bosses; if anything, they're rather well known for going all out with their finales. sure, they tend to be on the easy side, but they all have a large amounts of really cool-looking attacks, and it really feels like they're giving it their all.

in kirby, you get stuff like paint rain, black holes, massive lasers, sentient flowers, bosses using your super abilities against you, explosive robots, and (most important of all to me imo) health bars. they all need several hits to defeat, while in nsmb, three jumps or a switch and that's it.

nsmb bosses mostly consist of shooting balls of magic, jumping around, and breathing fire. after that, there really isn't much of anything at all.

Well Kirby gameplay does allow more complex bosses in general so thats to be expected.

Mario is all about simplicity and while they could still do more than they have, it will never be on the same level as Kirby due to fundamental gameplay differences.

Koopalmier said:
NSMB1 is unique because it brings back 2D Mario and introduces triple jumping, wall jumping, and the Mega Mushroom. It is also the only game in the series with unique boss characters, and even introduces a new recurring villain (Dry Bowser).

NSMBW is unique because it introduces simultaneous multiplayer in Mario platformers. However, it is far too focused on fixing NSMB1's issues (it was too easy, it looked like a flash game...).

NSMB2 is unique not because of what it introduces (there is not much to say on that side) but because of what it focuses on: Mario's arcade roots. Coin collecting and speed running. Also, the Super Leaf is back!

NSMBU is unique with the liberties it takes with the music and art (although it reuses some themes...) but also cares more about focusing on already existing elements: multiplayer, difficulty, alternate exits...

NSLU has the novelty of having every counter start too late, and focuses even more on difficulty and speedrunning. And the second Luigi game EAD makes, after Luigi's Mansion.

The series does get repetitive as there is much less diversity in the 4 games than in the original 5 classics. But not enough credit is given to what the games actually try to do and how they do it. NSMB2 might have the most sterile presentation it could, but it is my favorite NSMB game because of what it focuses on and because of the more vertical level design and tightly-packed levels. I just hope that with Mario Maker, they'll stop with the NSMB brand, but I still think the games tend to be underrated (and NSMB1 tends to be overrated).

Yeah, all the NSMB games brought at least a couple things to the table. When people say the series never changes, they are over-exaggerating. That's one of the exact reasons I find the NSMB series to be underrated.

When people say the "New Super Mario Bros. series never changes" they don't really mean it literally. They mean to say that each installment doesn't stand out from the other games in the same series, in which case they are correct.

All games that are released with barely any changes (like the yearly Madden, Skylanders, etc.) suffer a similar problem: yes they do offer some new elements, but not enough to be something worthwhile, something you want to spend an extra 60 bucks on. If the game doesn't offer anything substantial outside of new levels, then why should I spend full price if the game I have currently offers virtually the same experience?

Baby Luigi said:
When people say the "New Super Mario Bros. series never changes" they don't really mean it literally. They mean to say that each installment doesn't stand out from the other games in the same series, in which case they are correct.

All games that are released with barely any changes (like the yearly Madden, Skylanders, etc.) suffer a similar problem: yes they do offer some new elements, but not enough to be something worthwhile, something you want to spend an extra 60 bucks on. If the game doesn't offer anything substantial outside of new levels, then why should I spend full price if the game I have currently offers virtually the same experience?

Yeah, I guess you can make the case that each game shouldn't cost $60 (I don't even like having to pay $60 for games in the first place). But even then, NSMBU was the only one that actually costed $60 at release, while NSMB1 was $35, NSMB Wii was $50 (still close to $60 though) and NSMB2 was $40. Besides, these weren't yearly releases either. With the exception of NSMBU, these were all released three years apart. But while some may disagree, to me, all the NSMB games were unique enough to warrant purchase of each of them.

New Super Mario Bros. 2 and New Super Mario Bros. U both had very little new content, for the most part being only a few music tracks, level design and 1 new power up.

Both copy New Super Mario Bros. Wii to the point where if you own one of them, there isn't much point owning one of the others.

Lord Bowser said:
Mcmadness said:
Lord Bowser said:

Only text about some awesome series or something

While Kirby does have more unique bosses and more interesting characters, I agree with what Mcmadness said about what you do with them. For example:
When you fight Galacta Knight for the third time in the series, the fight itself actually isn't all that interesting. Aside from giving a cool Lor Starcutter reference, all of his attacks are the same, which makes the fight somewhat uninteresting. This doesn't change the fact that Galacta Knight is awesome, however it shows that character design isn't always everything.

The New Super Mario Bros. series likewise hasn't had very many creative battles since New Super Mario Bros. Wii. Wii and DS (Wii in particular) have creative boss battles for reused battles. Who doesn't forget the fight with Bowser Jr. where you hop into your own car?

Also Mario is more simplistic than Kirby, again what Mcmadness said. But then again, character design does amount to something so you gotta give Kirby that.

Striker Mario said:
Dr. Alphys said:
I see. Though "plasticy", "stiff", and "generic" might be a good representation, it still doesn't really represent "lifeless", so apt, but not perfect. I think Paper Mario and Brawl Mario play those roles. This Mario render still stands out as "fun and inviting" to me.

The Paper Mario art style is simplistic, not lifeless. That's a huge difference. That Mario still emotes and works just fine even with the art style. There's nothing dead about it (as long as you disregard SS, that Mario looks like someone drained the blood from his face).

I also couldn't find any Brawl images where Mario looked unnaturally stiff. He just seems to be pissed off most of the time, though to be honest I'd probably be too if I had to live through the Subspace Emmissary.

That NSMBW render on the other hand looks like a mannequin. "Lifeless" is a perfectly valid way to describe it.

I don't mean stiff (which the New Super Mario Bros. Wii artwork reasonably qualifies), I meant lifeless, in Brawl and Paper Mario. And I don't see the difference between Sticker Star Paper Mario and the Mario before it, but I've never honestly played Sticker Star. Still makes the same neutral face, though, and the occasional mild surprise and determination.

But eh, opinions and interpretations. I just don't like Paper Mario's depiction.

The difference is that the shading they added in SS sucks the saturation right out of his face.

Paper_mario_sticker_star_box-art.png

It's meant to be a shadow from the hat, but the way it interacts with the colors around it, it makes Mario look very pale and unhealthy (which I also find similarly amusing considering what game this is). Like, the shadow needs some more saturation, then it would look less zombified. The base color could use some too, to be honest.

PMTTYD.jpg
SuperPaperMarioBoxart.jpg

Compare that to the previous incarnation of PM Mario, who used saturated base colors and shadows (see the area behind his mustache) which gives his face a much more vibrant and lively peach color.

The whole thing makes me think that either whoever designed the new look had no idea about how different colors interact with each other, or they WANTED it to look this way for... whatever inane reason. Maybe because of some shitty conception that everything is paper and paper is hurr hurr dead, completely missing the point of the previous games which had worlds made from paper that were filled with life.

But anyway, last comment from me regarding this. I've kinda derailed the topic enough.

Back