Brexit discussion (EU referendum)

Should the United Kngdom remain a member of the European Union or leave the European Union

• Remain a member of the European Union

Votes: 17 85.0%
  • Leave the European Union

Votes: 3 15.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Towns that voted overwhelmingly in favour of leaving the EU are among the first victims of post-Brexit manufacturing job losses.
Last week Forterra, one of Britain’s biggest brick makers, said it would mothball plants in Accrington and Claughton, both in Lancashire, ahead of a potential downturn in construction. The towns are in boroughs that voted 66% and 63%, respectively, for Brexit.
Lush Cosmetics, a maker of soaps and lotions, has offered to shift workers from its factory in Poole after the Dorset town voted 58% to leave the EU. Co-founder Mark Constantine said last week that the poll had shown many of Lush’s 1,400 workers, who come from 38 countries, that they were “not welcome and not wanted in Poole”.
The company imports ingredients from around the world and exports many of its products. It said sterling’s fall and customer unrest since the referendum had created a “living nightmare”.
Staff have been given the option to fill vacancies at a new factory it will open in Dusseldorf. Forterra blamed its decision to temporarily shut its plants on “current economic uncertainty”.
Stephen Rawlinson, an analyst at Whitman Howard, said: “There is some irony in that the plants to be mothballed are in the parts of Lancashire that voted ‘leave’.”
The brick factory closures could put more than 60 people out of work.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'm finding it hard to feel any sympathy here to be honest. A part of me wants to just point and laugh.

So Theresa May is officially the next British Prime Minister following David Cameron's resignation. She'll be taking office this Wednesday, and is the second female Prime Minister, the first being Margaret Thatcher of course.

I'm liking this to be honest. I'm just glad it wasn't Crabbe or Gove getting in. In case you didn't know, Stephen Crabbe has ties to a group that believes it can "cure homosexuals", while Michael Gove absolutely decimated the education system. I don't know much about Liam Fox, so I can't form an opinion on him.

Andrea Leadsom seemed like a nice lady, but I don't think she was as strong as May, and at a time like this, we need somebody as strong as May.

On the other side of politics, Jeremy Corbyn, who has faced a lot of pressure in the past few weeks to step down as leader of the Labour party, has stood his ground fantastically. I consider myself as Conservative, but I do like the cut of Corbyn's jib. He's shown strength, which is contrary to what a lot of the media has been saying about him, and I honestly think, come the next general election, that I'll be 50/50 on whether to vote Conservative or Labour.

Also I like how the two parties both have Remain Leaders, and we're actually leaving the EU.

Ironyyyyyyyyyyy!

Wasn't a fan of Andrea Leadsom, she ended up voting against gay marriage because "it'd hurt Christians", or something similar. Plus, she was only a minster of state, rather than a secretary of state, so I didn't feel like she'd be qualified enough.

I consider myself a floating voter, with Labour tendencies, but I'm really starting to dislike Corbyn at the moment, when you get a vote of no confidence like that, you should stand aside.

I still support Corbyn and a sizeable amount of the party members do. He's been a much stronger leader than Brown and Milliband (and managed to mobilise both young and Labour voters in the referendum) yet has still received a much harsher treatment than either from the party's MPs. It's like they've only just learnt how to lose confidence, or something.

Time Turner said:
I mean, there's still a large number of people within those towns who didn't vote to leave. I'd feel sorry for them.
I suppose, but I'm still finding it really hard to sympathise with all these people who voted leave who are now getting fucked over.

Anyway, Corbyn's alright, and I'd prefer him to most of his contenders in the Labour party, but I really wish a lot of his supporters would fucking calm down. I've had so many friends that seem to think he can do no wrong. Also, his soft touch on organisations like Hamas, Hezbollah, and the IRA really rub me up badly.

I'm probably gonna go Lib Dem after their pledge to fight Brexit, and more importantly now that Nick Clegg's gone.

Exactly, Corbyn's doing well, vote of no confidence means shit all, he's staying

i'd rather have him leading the party than discount tilda swinton over there

We now officially have a new Prime Minister. I'm going to really miss David Cameron, but Theresa May is going to be absolutely pro at this.

Welcome aboard, Mrs. Prime Minister!

Don't worry - all the Labour Circlejerkers and Conservative haters will come around and shove thousands of lovely Theresa May memes in our faces while she attempts to save Britain

May is Bae ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Probably an ironic punishment. He wanted to get us out of the EU, and now he has to converse with the very people he abandoned. Sucks to be Boris!

what the shit? this makes no sense

he didn't even support her leadership campaign! christ

There's now a brexit minister who's specific job is to get us out of the EU. The person in charge is called David Davis. I'm hoping that the Tories don't fuck this up but knowing them they obviously will.

Well David Davis is the former home (probably shadow home, I can't really remember) secretary and was candidate for Conservative leader against David Cameron in 2005, so he knows his shit. Haven't looked at May's Cabinet, but obviously reading Boris is quite a surprise.

Fun fact: Theresa May is the country's second prime minister after Margaret Thatcher. Margaret Thatcher's initials are MT, whilst Theresa May's are TM.

NSY said:
There's now a brexit minister who's specific job is to get us out of the EU. The person in charge is called David Davis. I'm hoping that the Tories don't fuck this up but knowing them they obviously will.
Conservatives will do just fine, I guarantee it. Once we leave the EU, Davis will be dropped, and we can carry on. May's a pro at this, she'll make things ok.

Of course the public won't accept that a Conservative can actually do good, despite the fact that they've cut takes and doubled wages in the workplace, as well as creating millions of jobs around the country.

But no, obviously they suck.

Grim said:
Fun fact: Theresa May is the country's second prime minister after Margaret Thatcher. Margaret Thatcher's initials are MT, whilst Theresa May's are TM.
We've only had two Prime Ministers? How did we survive before?

From what I was reading, Boris is highly regarded among Tory voters, and is quite influential, so having him on-side rather than a critic will make her government more stable.

Plus Boris hasn't ruined the government from inside parliament yet, while Gove has. I also think May is giving Boris a chance to put his money where his mouth is and actually negotiate a good deal.

If he succeeds, May can take the credit for the deal and she'll be praised. If he fails, May will sack him and negotiate a better deal herself while she passes off Johnson as a soft brexit fail. Either way, Johnson's career in politics will essentially be over.

It's really just Theresa May (who voted to stay, might I add) punishing all the Tory members for all the suit they've pulled these past six years.

She's already fired Osbourne, who I think was just as slimey as Gove. Boris in the end is just a moron, so we'll see what happens with him.

JonTron said:
Plus Boris hasn't ruined the government from inside parliament yet, while Gove has. I also think May is giving Boris a chance to put his money where his mouth is and actually negotiate a good deal.
But Boris isn't in charge of negotiating our exit, that's Davis's job.

Also, Elizabeth Truss as Justice Secretary? Is this so she can bring all those people who import cheese to justice? I also question Andrea Leadsom as Environment Minister, I get Theresa May is including her so the party seems united, but Leadsom thinks that bringing back fox hunting would increase animal welfare, personally I think she should've just been promoted to Energy Secretary, seeing as she was already a minister for it.

Boris is in charge of maintaining relations through Europe, among other countries. If he fucks that up, he's toast. If he actually makes good on his deal, then May will be credited. It's basically about whether he can make a good deal to stay friends. If not, May the Bae will swoop in and save the day.

I so hope that May the Bae is how all other politicians will start addressing her.

I can't see having a man who thinks black people are inherently stupider than white people and East Asians and referred to Obama as "half-Kenyan" and having an "ancestral hatred of Britain" and that women go to univesrity to find men to marry as our foreign secretary going well at all.

What really really amazes me is that there's still people drinking the fucking kool aid and acting like Brexit's gonna turn is into some big economic power again whilst our economy's already being buggered by the potential of even leaving the EU, or trying to downplay it as "the damage hasn't been that much".

Aye, because we've not even fucking left yet, dickhead. Once the Brexit knickers drop, the real fun begins.

Back