Brexit discussion (EU referendum)

Should the United Kngdom remain a member of the European Union or leave the European Union

• Remain a member of the European Union

Votes: 17 85.0%
  • Leave the European Union

Votes: 3 15.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Re: EU referendum

The United Kingdom: The America of Europe, where misinformation is rampant and where proportionate voting results don't matter.

I'm worried now, it feels that Europe is devolving into old school nationalism. If the EU falls apart we'll be back to the political 1920s.

Midna said:
watch as the brexit happens and scotland immediately annouces they want another independance referendum

called it http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-36621030

i really hate nicola sturgeon, she's an annoying shrew of a woman

anybody wanna buy my old clothes

please, i need the money, my country's in the shitter

its time to abandon this continent

lets all move into the australian outback and create a new nation

the "MarioWiki Free State" or something

I haven't even read the body text of this but, look at this: http://arstechnica.co.uk/tech-policy/2016/06/brexit-google-search-trends-tech/

The gist of it all is Brits don't fucking know what they voted for.

so there's this petition that was started up like three or four hours ago for the government to reconsider the way the votes are counted: if the general consensus is not over 60% of the votes based on a turnout of 75% of the overall population, the referendum must be taken again

there's been over 100,000 signatures in these hours alone, and they're still counting. 100,000 signatures is enough for them to discuss it in parliament. if the votes keep climbing, they'll see that britain as a whole is not happy with what's been happening

with that, only about 75% of the nation actually voted yesterday, and that's cause for concern alone within the public. since the votes were basically split down the middle, the petition is beginning to make a lot more sense

one more thing: the petition is crashing the site due to the amount of signatures it's getting

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/brexit-petition-for-second-eu-referendum-so-popular-the-government-sites-crashing-a7099996.html

Midna said:
its time to abandon this continent

lets all move into the australian outback and create a new nation

the "MarioWiki Free State" or something

i can see this working

badposter will make a flag for us

neptune will be supreme leader

and the australian users can show us how to survive in the wilderness

UK wants separates from EU, then Scotland and NI wants to seperate from the UK? What's going on here with the Matryoshka politics?

stunned that they actually did it. on the plus side maybe this'll male the EU get it's shit together now so that this doesn't happen again

well hopefully if that petition goes through, which it should, we won't have to leave, until britain makes a proper decision

this referendum was full of people who either didn't know what they were voting for, or decided to vote leave and regret their decision later because they're stupid hicks

there are people who genuinely believe that leaving is the right option, and i respect their decision, i don't however respect the people who deliberately fuck up the election because they're too damn stupid

i'm ignorant as to what this means for the uk, eu, and inevitably the us, so i'm not going to try and make speculation on this, but I hope you guys aren't hurt too hard by whatever fallout this may cause. here's hoping for a strong uk and a strong europe in the future you guys.

if you guys need to, you can always come visit me and hang out. my area knows a thing or two about dropping out of unions (it doesn't usually end well)

Here's the thing: we literally cannot forsee what will happen in the future.

David Cameron has officially resigned, which means we're gonna be getting another vote by October.

If this is truly what is going to happen, then we're gonna need someone in charge who isn't going to be backed by large corporations.

Boris Johnson, who has been favoured to take over from Cameron, is backed by these large corporations, which is pretty dangerous.

We'll want someone like Theresa May, who will be impartial against the fallout of the referendum, who will attempt to keep most of the laws that we've recieved from the EU intact, or else it could result in the country becoming a failed state.

Either way, it's incredibly likely that the Conservatives (Johnson or May) will once again be back in. Labour is apparently predicted to be finished as one of the two main parties, and either UKIP or the Lib Dems will take over as the second main party. However this is only speculation, it's probably got a 50/50 chance of happening.

Jeremy Corbyn, leader of the Labour Party, who also endorsed the Remain campaign, is receiving pressure from his party, and will also likely be stepping down before the end of the year.

Personally I'd rather that Labour were around for a bit longer, as UKIP is a very dangerous party, especially with Nigel Farage, who is basically the British Trump, in command. The Lib Dems aren't too bad, they share a lot of views with both the Conservatives and Labour.

Bearing in mind, it's still too early to tell, but this is the prediction of what will come of British Politics over the next few years, if Parliament decides that it wants to go through with leaving the EU, since it is ultimately their decision. If that does happen, Parliament will also face pressure from the recent petition, which they have to discuss in the houses.

I'd also like to remind everyone that we're still in the EU for the next two years before we finally leave. Over the next two years it is imperative that we make sure this is truly what Great Britain wants, considering it was an incredibly close vote, and only 75% of the public actually showed up to vote.

Am I scared of what's happening? Yes. Is there actually anything to be scared about? Only time will truly tell.

Roger Smith said:
Kanan Matsuura said:
after this, if any of you want to live in my basement, go ahead
I already live there why are you selling my shelter
what?

also: with the support of the petition, they will defiently look over their options. the future isn't hopeless

Stock markets around the world are having their worst opening since Lehman Brothers went bankrupt in 2008. Emerging currencies are falling sharply in value. Companies will have to see what they do about their foreign workers. Airlines need to renegotiate permissions to fly into the UK. Poor Gibraltar will be practically cut off from the world. Scotland wants another referendum. The UK is now out of the TTIP. British banks can't operate now in the EU. Hell, even the Premier League will suffer.

I don't know long-term how it'll look for the UK, no one knows, but in the short-term, it'll be pretty hard.

This was not a decision to be taken by the public, especially with that much misinformation. Nonetheless, Cameron is still one of the best politicians of the past decade.

On the "plus" side, Obama said the US can never ignore the UK.

the next few years is going to be period of maintenance for us living in the uk. most of the market impacts (ftse 100 and the pound sign) have already happened and should hopefully start to recover. It's also looking highly likely that Boris Johnson will be our Prime Minister. It's going to be survival but I hoping we can get through this period and prove we can be like Canada, Switzerland or Australia and become strong in the long term. It won't be easy and if not probably we could be in serious trouble.

@Neptune, I don't think we're going to have a general election. There wasn't one when Tony Blair resigned as PM and Gordon Brown replaced him, there'll just be an election within members of the Conservative Party, unless I missed Cameron calling on another general election.

So I heard on the radio that billions of pounds have been wiped from British businesses.

Grim said:
@Neptune, I don't think we're going to have a general election. There wasn't one when Tony Blair resigned as PM and Gordon Brown replaced him, there'll just be an election within members of the Conservative Party, unless I missed Cameron calling on another general election.

So I heard on the radio that billions of pounds have been wiped from British businesses.
pretty much all the stock markets have been wiped off. ftse 100 has gone down by 3%, ftse 250 down by 7%. worst casuaity isnt even in the uk where nikkei 225 (tokoyo) has suffered really badly.

it's likely a panic reaction to brexit

General Neptune said:
so there's this petition that was started up like three or four hours ago for the government to reconsider the way the votes are counted: if the general consensus is not over 60% of the votes based on a turnout of 75% of the overall population, the referendum must be taken again

there's been over 100,000 signatures in these hours alone, and they're still counting. 100,000 signatures is enough for them to discuss it in parliament. if the votes keep climbing, they'll see that britain as a whole is not happy with what's been happening
ok so i fully realize that i'm not a brit and don't really have any say in this matter

but to me this just says "we're not happy with the result, so we're going to change the rules until we get a result we like"

i mean, if that's what you want then why bother voting in the first place
General Neptune said:
with that, only about 75% of the nation actually voted yesterday, and that's cause for concern alone within the public. since the votes were basically split down the middle, the petition is beginning to make a lot more sense
"only 75%" i was under the impression this was the highest turnout ever in the united kingdom

Javelin said:
but to me this just says "we're not happy with the result, so we're going to change the rules until we get a result we like"
the votes were very close, i think 2%? so it was very indecisive on this major issue, and that's why petitions are happening

Let's not forget that this was a vote based purely on age lines. The majority of people who voted leave were over 60, who don't have to live with the result of the vote afterwards. The majority of the leave campaign was based around fear mongering, which pandered to the fears of the every day man, i.e. terrorists not getting screened, and immigrants "stealing all of our jobs". Once the election was over, all of this fear mongering came to light, and the majority of people who voted leave realise that they made a mistake.

The vote was so closely split, meaning that the country is literally divided on the issue. The belief of the petition is that these splits should not decide our fate, it should be something that at least two thirds of the nation agree on. This isn't just electing some asshole who will come on for four years and be voted out then, this is a permanent issue which could result in an economic downfall. We cannot rejoin the union after this.

75% is rather low actually, we usually have around 85-90% of the nation voting.

Back