Brexit discussion (EU referendum)

Should the United Kngdom remain a member of the European Union or leave the European Union

• Remain a member of the European Union

Votes: 17 85.0%
  • Leave the European Union

Votes: 3 15.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

NSY

Celestial Guide
Today is a pretty big the for us in the United Kingdom as people are voting on wherever or not to stay or leave the EU In case you've never heard of it, the EU is an organisation comprised of many European Countries that work together to maintain the economy, create political peace and tackle moral issues. Many people have argued we should leave the EU however.

this link should take to the main arguments regarding the situation

Re: EU referendum

I've heard a lot of angry things from a lot of angry British people, so before I say anything dumb, would someone be able to briefly sum up the for & against sides?

just follow the link in nsy's post, it tells you everything you need to know

I was a bit iffy on staying, but I think we're better off if we stick around for just a bit longer

also, if you're still on the fence, word of advice: vote remain, that way we can keep things the way they are, and you can make a proper decision come the next referendum

Time Turner said:
I've heard a lot of angry things from a lot of angry British people, so before I say anything dumb, would someone be able to briefly sum up the for & against sides?
Main arguments for remain: EU benefits economy and workforce, keeps moral issues in tact, allows anyone to go and work abroad

Main arguments for leave: Britain pays a lot of money to EU, immigration could be controlled better, allows Britain to make own laws

if you want more in depth just follow link. i personally support remain and most world leaders and economists do.

To be honest

I think the EU in it's current state is a failed concept. I mean, the economic part of it is still intact I guess but recent developments have just shown me that the EU as a whole is unable to act together as a nation.

I still think the UK should stay in the EU (in the long run the effects would be more negative than positive), but idk possibly the people in Brussels need a sign like that to start making actual improvements.

Whatever the result of the referendum, it will bring about drastic change in how the EU is run, maybe not immediately but certainly over time.

The leaders of the EU will hopefully take this as a sign that we're not entirely happy with how this Union is run and how it works. We'll be able to bring our concerns to them, and they will hopefully act on them, which will make the EU a better place to live in.

also we might get the united states of europe which is a pretty sexy idea

General Neptune said:
also we might get the united states of europe which is a pretty sexy idea

yeah as long as the government stops being stupid

then again the us government is usually stupid as well so

Oh boy, there is no perfect choice here. If you leave, you'll be able to govern your own country freely and without the intervention of the EU; on the other hand, your economy will struggle for years aa you retake negotiations of your trade agreements with EU countries and the rest of the world. During that time, imported products will sharply rise in price and the British exports will suffer greatly.

If you stay, you'll still have everything you complain about (and fully right so), but you'll have the chance to change it from the inside, and to me that makes voting remain the most sensible choice. You keep all your trade benefits and you can work to change what you don't like about the EU. This referendum is already a wake up call for the EU and they will surely take action. And you should be inside when they do.

Chiaki Nanami said:
Is there some site that has a fancy interactive map showing how people voted?

its not over yet i think

theres still 2 hours left i think

My best bet would be the news as the results start to come in, but that won't be for a few hours seeing as polling stations are still open, ergo vote counting hasn't began yet.

polls have now been shut

the long wait to see the how our country voted begins

watch as the brexit happens and scotland immediately annouces they want another independance referendum

Midna said:
watch as the brexit happens and scotland immediately annouces they want another independance referendum
UK leaves EU, Scotland leaves UK, then Edinburgh leaves Scotland.

I think that the UK should stay in the EU. This referendum should shake up the Union well enough to pay attention, otherwise they can have another referendum. The UK is major European power, without it, the EU will crack and dissolve, bringing the possibility of more political-economic conflicts and another war (it's always Europeans making World Wars what's up with that? :P). Fix and reform the system, don't break it without a replacement on hand.

so Gibraltar did NOT want to leave

96% wanted to remain, that's incredibly high, though since it is techincally in europe, it's to be expected

sunderland's the first area that's voted out

can't wait to see how my city voted

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-32810887

This article has the most pressing questions about everything related to the referendum; retirement funds, TTIP, vetoing the referendum... and this:

If we leave the EU does it mean we would be barred from the Eurovision Song Contest?

lel

currently, leave is leading by about 7,000 votes

that's expected to be reversed by the end of the referendum though

General Neptune said:
lel

currently, leave is leading by about 7,000 votes

that's expected to be reversed by the end of the referendum though
Don't underestimate the power of the leave side.

Back