What games would you consider to be the pinnacles of the Mario series?

Which ones do you think are the most deserving of being the pinnacles of the Mario series?

• Super Mario Bros. 3

Votes: 10 25.6%
  • Super Mario World

Votes: 17 43.6%
  • Super Mario 64

Votes: 21 53.8%
  • Super Mario Sunshine

Votes: 7 17.9%
  • New Super Mario Bros.

Votes: 3 7.7%
  • Super Mario Galaxy

Votes: 24 61.5%
  • Super Mario Odyssey

Votes: 5 12.8%

• Total voters
Nah, more like I enjoy it fine, think the first is better and that I don't hold it on a golden plate.

Samus Aran said:
SpinyMaster347 said:
Samus Aran said:
SpinyMaster347 said:
the true best, never been topped game is TTYD. Great open world exploration, great dialogue, hours of gameplay just for the MAIN plot, awesome soundtrack, fantastic characters, and a comfy postgame

what postgame

theres like nothing interesting in post game
Pit of 100 Trials
return to the Glitz Pit
Trouble Center
Pianta Game Corner
Filling Up Tattle Log
Leveling up partners
Recipes, Badges, Star pieces

feel like im forgetting something

you can do that in the main game
iirc some troubles only become available post game

I don't think Sunshine could be considered groundbreaking anyways. I think it is too mediocre of a game.

Mario bros 1, 3, world, 64, Kart, SMRPG, Paper Mario 1 & 2 and the galaxy series. Those games that pioneered genres and everything are the biggest pinnacles in the series of Mario in my book.

I added Super Mario Odyssey to the poll.

Yup, I'm definitely gonna vote for that game thats not out yet.

Hype's such a great substitute for actual games.

Well, in terms of what games are the most important to the Mario series and are must-plays, it'd go to:
Super Mario Bros.
Super Mario Bros. 3
Super Mario World
Super Mario 64
Super Mario Galaxy

As far as Odyssey goes, I could see it becoming one of those, but it's way too early to know for sure.

Luigi 64DD said:
Well, in terms of what games are the most important to the Mario series and are must-plays, it'd go to:
Super Mario Bros.
Super Mario Bros. 3
Super Mario World
Super Mario 64
Super Mario Galaxy

As far as Odyssey goes, I could see it becoming one of those, but it's way too early to know for sure.
So The Lost Levels, US SMB2 (a.k.a Doki Doki Panic Mario edition for the Japanese audience as Super Mario USA), and Sunshine aren't that important or must plays? Those games did introduce some elements that would be part of many Mario games to come.

Not in the Top 5 at least. Nearly every Mario game introduces some elements that are reused later on. I'm thinking like this: if someone who had never played a Mario platformer wants to get the essentials of the series but doesn't want to play every single game, which games should that person play? I think those 5 are the ones.

As far as the things I personally like the most in the series, Thousand Year Door for gameplay and Super Paper Mario for story. Super Mario Odyssey will most likely take it for platforming gameplay, this is currently held by Mario 64.

I'll say Super Mario Bros. 3, Super Mario 64, and Super Mario Sunshine. Time will tell if Odyssey joins the ranks, but I feel confident it will.

Back