Things that you really hate in Mario Kart games

rpg content being represented in any mario spin games is less likely than ted cruz reentering the presidential race and then going on to win

Don't worry, I'll forget about all of these as soon as a Baby Luigi centric track gets made.

You guys are forgetting that King Goomba was in Mario Kart DS.

Honestly, it would be refreshing to see RPG characters appear in spin-offs, that way people who like those characters would be happy, and we would get more newcomers who aren't baby/clone versions of other characters.

Getting struct by lighting while going over the infamous jump in Wario Stadium in Mario Kart 64.

It's glorious schadenfreude when it happens to Wario, though. Twice.

1. Coin item when I need a defensive item in first place

2. A Blue Shell that costs me the race

3. Thundercloud item

4. The lack of Diddy, Bowser Jr, Birdo, Dry Bones, King Boo, and Petey Piranha in MK8

5. Cutting Petey after one game

1) MK8's roster
2) The battle stages for said game
3) Playing with people who have to watch the highlights after EVERY RACE
4) The new wing system with blue shells
5) Being hit with a shell in mid-air on a hang gliding jump

SpearGuy729 said:
5) Being hit with a shell in mid-air on a hang gliding jump

I sometimes prolong the glider, as I think spinning out saves more time than flipping over.

Here's 1 thing i ''hate''.

The rocket start boost timing is different in ALL THE GAMES.

So basically , everytime i hop into MK8 , and then suddenly i feel like replaying Wii or DD or DS the timing kinda gets me and it ends up being a failure.

Baby Luigi said:
I sometimes prolong the glider, as I think spinning out saves more time than flipping over.
If you're hit by a Blue shell while gliding you still go on until you touch the ground, so it is a smart thing to do. I think he meant the sections where the blue shell makes you fall down forcing a Lakitu recovery.

Anyway, while MK8 has plenty of filler characters and characters from different franchises, let's not forget that it wasn't that game that started the various traditions:

• characters from other franchises? Even when not counting the arcarde Mario Kart games, MKDS had R.O.B.
  • babies that weren't featured in other Mario games? Mario Kart Wii introduced Baby Daisy
  • power-up versions of existing characters? Metal Mario was introduced in Mario Kart 7
  • a roster featuring less characters than the previous version, including characters that appeared in more than one game? Mario Kart DS started the trend with Koopa Troopa.
MK8 just took these sad concepts to the next level. And still, without counting different version of the characters (even babies and Dry Bowser), there are 22 different characters from the Mario universe in it, MKW had 19, while Double Dash had 18. And, unfortunately, the other spin-off games on the Wii U didn't offer better choices in terms of roster. Minecraft Super Mario Mash-Up Pack pretty much did, with the important exception of the "official" babies, but it wasn't even an idea of Nintendo...

- Bikes R 2 OP (MKWii only)

- The POW Block and Thundercloud in MKWii.

- The blue shell in MKWii is too much present (and that thing still appears in battle mode !).

- MK8's roster, which is even worse than MK7's roster (despite having more characters than any MK game).

- Being hit by a lightning/(blue) shell/banana at the wrong moment...

- Cataquaks.

- The downhill section of Rainbow Road (Wii), especially when you start the race.

- Rosalina's current voice in MK8 (and every games portrayed by this voice actress (except SM3DW) ), i really miss her voice in MKWii and SMG(2)... ;-;

SpearGuy729 said:
1) MK8's roster
The Green Maskass said:
- MK8's roster, which is even worse than MK7's roster (despite having more characters than any MK game).
Might I ask you to explain the reason why you don't like Mario Kart 8 roster? This is not the first time I saw unmotivated MK8 roster bashing and sincerely I'm not fond of it at all, as it is becoming more like a mantra.
I for once, as much as I don't like the filler characters (power-up/metal versions, plus Baby Rosalina that doesn't follow the actual Baby Roasalina shown in the storybook), the holes (Bowser Jr., Diddy Kong, King Boo, Dry Bones and Birdo, who had appeared in at least 2 Mario Kart games) and the characters from other franchises, don't think at all it's the worst roster ever, as the holes were already in Mario Kart 7, that even had more of them like Waluigi, Toadette, Baby Mario and Baby Luigi. The characters I don't like are just ignored by me most of the time, it's not like the character selection screen is particularly troublesome for me, even when I don't use the GamePad's touchscreen.
On the other end, I was happy to finally play as the Koopalings 25 years after their introduction, it was an incredible chance to redicover them that I'm glad I didn't miss.

- Casuals
- Casualising snaking
- Giant balance differences between karts and bikes. Not individual ones but literally bikes being better in Wii and karts being better in 8.
- Not making every sequel an improved Double Dash

Toad. There was a race yesterday I had that was fucking rigged. If you look in the highlights of the reel and slow it down, you'd see that I beat Toad, but it still gave me the BS that Toad won. In Mario Kart 8, he is always a problem. Toad also always has the stupid grin on his face and this stupid little "WEEWHOOOOOOOO!" that you get sick of hearing. It's always either him, his female counterpart, Donkey Kong, one of the Warios, one of the shitty Metal characters(another thing. If Metal Mario wasn't such a dick to me in the games, then I wouldn't exactly hate him), or a baby(Baby Daisy annoys the fuck out of me with that loud-ass voice and I swear she's always hating on me. Look at her fucking slanted eyebrows). Also, everyone likes to cause the most trouble on the last lap.

Highlights use the client simulation rather than the server one but the server is the true one so you lost :b

Mister Wu said:
SpearGuy729 said:
1) MK8's roster
The Green Maskass said:
Might I ask you to explain the reason why you don't like Mario Kart 8 roster? This is not the first time I saw unmotivated MK8 roster bashing and sincerely I'm not fond of it at all, as it is becoming more like a mantra.
I for once, as much as I don't like the filler characters (power-up/metal versions, plus Baby Rosalina that doesn't follow the actual Baby Roasalina shown in the storybook), the holes (Bowser Jr., Diddy Kong, King Boo, Dry Bones and Birdo, who had appeared in at least 2 Mario Kart games) and the characters from other franchises, don't think at all it's the worst roster ever, as the holes were already in Mario Kart 7, that even had more of them like Waluigi, Toadette, Baby Mario and Baby Luigi. The characters I don't like are just ignored by me most of the time, it's not like the character selection screen is particularly troublesome for me, even when I don't use the GamePad's touchscreen.
On the other end, I was happy to finally play as the Koopalings 25 years after their introduction, it was an incredible chance to redicover them that I'm glad I didn't miss.
Most of the new drivers (and even some veterans from older MK games) that i like in MKWii are not present in this game, and i don't like how the roster is mostly filled by clones (5 Marios ? 4 Peachs ?) or useless characters (Pink Gold Peach ? Baby Rosalina ?) and unfortunately, the inclusion of clones is a common thing since Double Dash.

The only good thing about this roster is the Koopalings (even though i hate how Bowser Jr. is not present in this game), the return of Waluigi and Lakitu.

I don't really get why people think that karts are better than bikes in Mario Kart 8. They both work out equally well, though the bikes are thinner, and are more handling focused (only the Master Cycle offers a positive ground speed boost, and it's an inside drifting bike).

Inward drift bikes can't firehop. Aside from that, it's just preference: you might as well say Morton is better than Bowser because he's used more often.

The Green Maskass said:
Mister Wu said:
SpearGuy729 said:
1) MK8's roster
The Green Maskass said:
Most of the new drivers (and even some veterans from older MK games) that i like in MKWii are not present in this game, and i don't like how the roster is mostly filled by clones (5 Marios ? 4 Peachs ?) or useless characters (Pink Gold Peach ? Baby Rosalina ?) and unfortunately, the inclusion of clones is a common thing since Double Dash.

The only good thing about this roster is the Koopalings (even though i hate how Bowser Jr. is not present in this game), the return of Waluigi and Lakitu.
Thanks for the reply! It's good to hear the motivations behind the sentence! They are also pretty valid points too!

Mario Kart: Double Dash!! and Mario Kart Wii had arguably the best roster. Funky Kong is sadly a one-game character so far in the series, which is a bit of a missed opportunity as it fitted well the game and the Mario Kart series as a whole.

Unfortunately, unless the devlopment of new Mario Kart games follow a different trend from the one observed at the end of the Wii U era (which might happen, as Kimishima reorganized even the development teams with the creation of the EPD), unexplicable holes, clone characters or characters with controversial design might become more common in the future as developers have to face tight deadlines with modern graphics requiring more and more time consuming modeling and animations; if the worst-case scenario becomes real let's hope that they at least reuse the multi-slot introduced in Mario Kart 8 for Villager (the one for Yoshi and Shy Guys doesn't affect stats)...

Anyway Toadette needs more love. And Baby Mario and Baby Luigi are the most "legit" babies since they were originally introduced in Yoshi's Island and then Mario Kart: Double Dash!! ;)

MnSG said:
I don't really get why people think that karts are better than bikes in Mario Kart 8. They both work out equally well, though the bikes are thinner, and are more handling focused (only the Master Cycle offers a positive ground speed boost, and it's an inside drifting bike).
I think it is mostly referred to inside drifting bikes. Outside drifting bikes in Mario kart 8 behave very similarly to karts, to the point that, if I am not mistaken, at least the City Tripper was used more than once in the last World Cup.

MnSG said:
Well, it IS Mario KART, isn't it?

There's only one nonMario Kart entry

Funky Bike Wii.

Johnny Boy said:
Well, it IS Mario KART, isn't it?

Bikes are more balanced in Mario Kart 8 though, as they can't perform wheelies to get speed boosts anymore.

MnSG said:
They are much better in terms of speed compared to bikes (except in the corners), especially with a heavyweight.

Not to mention that karts can fire-hopping and demon-sliding.

Mister Wu said:
The Green Maskass said:
Mister Wu said:
SpearGuy729 said:
1) MK8's roster
The Green Maskass said:

Thanks for the reply! It's good to hear the motivations behind the sentence! They are also pretty valid points too!

Mario Kart: Double Dash!! and Mario Kart Wii had arguably the best roster. Funky Kong is sadly a one-game character so far in the series, which is a bit of a missed opportunity as it fitted well the game and the Mario Kart series as a whole.

Unfortunately, unless the devlopment of new Mario Kart games follow a different trend from the one observed at the end of the Wii U era (which might happen, as Kimishima reorganized even the development teams with the creation of the EPD), unexplicable holes, clone characters or characters with controversial design might become more common in the future as developers have to face tight deadlines with modern graphics requiring more and more time consuming modeling and animations; if the worst-case scenario becomes real let's hope that they at least reuse the multi-slot introduced in Mario Kart 8 for Villager (the one for Yoshi and Shy Guys doesn't affect stats)...

Anyway Toadette needs more love. And Baby Mario and Baby Luigi are the most "legit" babies since they were originally introduced in Yoshi's Island and then Mario Kart: Double Dash!! ;)
I agree with everything you say.

Back