Paper Mario: Color Splash

Mister Wu said:
The game will come out on the 7th of October and tomorrow a demo will be played at Treehouse Live, so hopefully we will know more about the game.

oh god my newest torturing device has a release date now

help

Midna said:
Mister Wu said:
The game will come out on the 7th of October and tomorrow a demo will be played at Treehouse Live, so hopefully we will know more about the game.

oh god my newest torturing device has a release date now

help

Just don't cry over me, fan tears are terrible for my blood pressure.

Remind me not to be on the Internet for the next few days.

we should start a kickstarter to buy him that game

Well, they're showing this game on the stream right now and confirmed its a sequel to Sticker Star...

I'll wait for the bargain bin for this game. Fool me once, etc.

At the least the game looks really nice.

i

must say

that didnt look half bad actually

i hope theyre fixing the main issues i had with the battle system because i couldnt quite make out how big of a role thing stickers are playing/how theyre handled in this game (if it works just like in sticker star then it sucks)

else i really, really looked promising compared to sticker star, at least.

since i have to buy this game anyways better be optimistic right?

There is a bar that increases by collecting the items obtained after each battle, wonder what it is.
Anyway, I like Paper Jam Morton's dialogue more than Paper Morton's (and not because of that German version's line). I think it was less cliché with that clumsy poem, although of course caveman's dialogue still fits Morton's personality very well.
Also, Paper Draggadon. Nice, I really liked Wingo and Draggadon, I hope to see both in Color Splash.
By the way, until the last 3-5 minutes they managed to show ALL the bad aspects of the game very well, including Toads as only NPCs, generic enemies, Koopalings as bosses instead of some interesting role for them, Bowser as obvious final boss and boss battles that require a Thing to be won... do they really want us not to buy this?

-Paint theme was chosen because the kids of the IS producer were "really into painting"

-Feels Mario & Luigi already covers the RPG base so they want PM to be "something different"

I don't think this will be as bad as Sticker Star but it's brought back a lot features that I really don't like. The game look amazing but that's it sadly. I'm going to skip this one,

This game makes me afraid that we won't get any more Mario spinoffs or new characters with their own charm or personality. Even IS managed to pull through and managed to put some wit and charm into Paper Jam despite the character restriction; maybe that will be gone once we get Mario & Luigi: Toad Patrol.

Watch as :bowser:'s the main villain again and has a few lines of "generic villain dialogue" to address the complaints about his depiction in Sticker Star.

yeah and the more bitching you do about the game the more negative your gonna see it as.

Actually be neutral about it for once, if they can do decently on paper jam then they can do decently about this game.

Zae Eildus said:
yeah and the more *bleep*ing you do about the game the more negative your gonna see it as.

Actually be neutral about it for once, if they can do decently on paper jam then they can do decently about this game.

Personally, I prefer Mario & Luigi over Paper Mario, but one of my fears is that the Mario subseries will continue this game's formula, and we could say get M&L6 where Bowser and the Koopalings are rehashed as bosses and the game's special gimmick is collecting and recruiting Toads for special attacks.

At least we have Breath of the Wild. I hope that game is a massive hit, so that Nintendo learns what happens if you actually try to make fans happy.

To be fair, developers at AlphaDream said that they pretty much screwed up with the story and ended up with no new characters because of that. They didn't talk about particular restrictions on them. They also said they would like original settings like Toad Town to be back.
Since Paper Jam has elements showing that it was rushed (many glitches generated by improperly created objects, as Dream Team uses the same engine but doesn't have as many glitches), I'd tend to believe them.

Ryu said:
Zae Eildus said:
yeah and the more *bleep*ing you do about the game the more negative your gonna see it as.

Personally, I prefer Mario & Luigi over Paper Mario, but one of my fears is that the Mario subseries will continue this game's formula, and we could say get M&L6 where Bowser and the Koopalings are rehashed as bosses and the game's special gimmick is collecting and recruiting Toads for special attacks.

yeah but even if the game is good, that kind of mentallity is gonna bite you in the ass. I mean your expectations are just too much for one game to handle, and ill admit, sticker doesnt sound that great, but thats just ONE game. Sticker star is FAAAAAR from the worst rpg ever made, and really its just barebones, but that shouldnt distract you from being neutral at least. I mean i see gameplay, screens, opinions, and maybe it is deserved, but again, its one game, if this was happening several times in a row, then it would be justified, but a lot of paper mario fans just explode out of the ass because of this one average jrpg. I mean id hate to see what would happen if paper mario fans were treated with quality equalizing the shit that was tales of symphonia dawn of the new world, or final fantasy mystic quest. Basically my point is, stop being so negative, its really stopped people from enjoying a franchise, ive seen it a lot tbh, and like i said its just one game, every franchise, has a bad apple, and sticker star is that apple. Just calm down and just be a little more neutral or positive, not enough to be excited, but to rather think of what could happen or not happen, rather then OH GOD THIS GAME IS GONNA BLOW MORE CHUNKS THEN GODZILLA BLOWING CHUNKS HIMSELFF

tldr; calm down and be neutral for once, paper mario fans need to chill out.

Mister Wu said:
To be fair, developers at AlphaDream said that they pretty much screwed up with the story and ended up with no new characters because of that. They didn't talk about particular restrictions on them. They also said they would like original settings like Toad Town to be back.
Since Paper Jam has elements showing that it was rushed (many glitches generated by improperly created objects, as Dream Team uses the same engine but doesn't have as many glitches), I'd tend to believe them.
I see what you mean. For sure I hope that's the case. It's far better than IS dealing with the same issue for Color Splash, where their rep just kinda seemed to avoid talking about the whole issue and diverted attention to how "all the Toads are different".

It would be great to see some of the seldom-used "main" Mario characters in an RPG, like Wario, Waluigi, Rosalina and DK. If Alphadream manages to do that in the next game, that'd be just as good as making an original setting with new characters.

Zae Eildus said:
Ryu said:
Zae Eildus said:

yeah but even if the game is good, that kind of mentallity is gonna bite you in the ass. I mean your expectations are just too much for one game to handle, and ill admit, sticker doesnt sound that great, but thats just ONE game. Sticker star is FAAAAAR from the worst rpg ever made, and really its just barebones, but that shouldnt distract you from being neutral at least. I mean i see gameplay, screens, opinions, and maybe it is deserved, but again, its one game, if this was happening several times in a row, then it would be justified, but a lot of paper mario fans just explode out of the ass because of this one average jrpg. I mean id hate to see what would happen if paper mario fans were treated with quality equalizing the *bleep* that was tales of symphonia dawn of the new world, or final fantasy mystic quest. Basically my point is, stop being so negative, its really stopped people from enjoying a franchise, ive seen it a lot tbh, and like i said its just one game, every franchise, has a bad apple, and sticker star is that apple. Just calm down and just be a little more neutral or positive, not enough to be excited, but to rather think of what could happen or not happen, rather then OH GOD THIS GAME IS GONNA BLOW MORE CHUNKS THEN GODZILLA BLOWING CHUNKS HIMSELFF

tldr; calm down and be neutral for once, paper mario fans need to chill out.

I'm not a big Paper Mario fan, but the thing is, this is happening twice in a row, which isn't a good sign.

Zae Eildus said:
where is it happening twice in a row

They make Sticker Star, people don't like it. They make Color Splash, which apparently repeats a lot of the things people didn't like about SS, and they simply gloss over them in interviews.

Other Mario subseries have also been becoming more simplistic and casual, playing things "too safe" (3D Land/World, Paper Jam, Galaxy 2 to a lesser extent).

Looks fun to me.

Ryu said:
Watch as :bowser:'s the main villain again

Watch as I have zero problem with that.

yeah but paper jam was fine, i played like 5 hours and thought it was great. 3d land i can agree is rather dull, but 3d world looks freaking awesome, infact its THE MAIN REASON im getting a wii u in the future.

And besides your points on the platformers are like who cares, the platformers always have little to no character or story, the biggest example is galaxy and that was something that was entirely optional.

Besides, the mario games have never been complicated, EVER, the most complicated it ever got, was in paper mario and paper mario ttyd with the badge system, and really that wasnt hard to understand, even those games are insanely simplistic. Maybe because im an rpg fan, i mean compared to various other rpgs such as final fantasy 5, knights of the old republic, darksiders 2, or secret of mana 2. All mario games in GENERAL are simplistic, its marios style to be simplistic, but ya know what? who gives a shit, because just because its simplistic, doesnt mean its bad, i mean i can say the same for mother 3, its a simple game, but guess, its amazing, and everyone agrees, or dragonquest games, also really simple but lots of people, especially japan, love those games.

Mario games will ALWAYS be simplistic even if they return to the formula of paper mario or ttyd, of course that may just be me, because im experinced in rpgs. The problem with paper mario fans or ones seeking to play paper mario games, is that they continue to torture themselves with these games, sticker star, i mean like i said, ONE GAME, who gives a shit. Do you know how many other rpgs that are more complicated, that are FAR worse then sticker star? It doesnt matter if the games are more simplistic or casual. Even the most simplistic and casual games, can be enjoyed, even future ones. I mean galaxy was very casual, very simplistic, but people love it, and ive already listed examples.

fans of paper mario and people seeking to play them are just making excuses at this point, they're making excuses, to diss this game. I swear the name color splash made fans cringe, THE NAME. People just need to lighten up and be neutral, consider the positives and the negatives. I mean if you're just the average complainer, then the rest of the fans are just gonna be so negative, that even if it is good, they're gonna dislike because its not ttyd or some shit.

You're lucky, i mean all mario rpgs are localized, but not all tales of, half the series is unlocalized, we didnt even get to enjoy the roots, since phantasia was on the gba, and its much worse then sticker star, and all mario rpgs in general. But ya know what, that didnt stop me from enjoying the franchise, infact its my favorite franchise, one bad game, two bad games, big deal man. Just be patient, some franchises start as utter shit. But they get better, you see since mario & luigi are more rpgish then paper mario at this point, they're experimenting, is what im getting, so experiments can be good or bad, but thats no reason to not be neutral about it.

Mcmadness said:
Ryu said:
Watch as :bowser:'s the main villain again

Watch as I have zero problem with that.

I actually think he was handled pretty well in Paper Jam. I'm just predicting that his character will be handled badly yet again, and he'll have a few lines of generic dialogue to superficially address Sticker Star complaints, though maybe (and hopefully) that's me complaining too much.

Zae Eildus said:
yeah but paper jam was fine, i played like 5 hours and thought it was great. 3d land i can agree is rather dull, but 3d world looks freaking awesome, infact its THE MAIN REASON im getting a wii u in the future.

And besides your points on the platformers are like who cares, the platformers always have little to no character or story, the biggest example is galaxy and that was something that was entirely optional.

Besides, the mario games have never been complicated, EVER, the most complicated it ever got, was in paper mario and paper mario ttyd with the badge system, and really that wasnt hard to understand, even those games are insanely simplistic. Maybe because im an rpg fan, i mean compared to various other rpgs such as final fantasy 5, knights of the old republic, darksiders 2, or secret of mana 2. All mario games in GENERAL are simplistic, its marios style to be simplistic, but ya know what? who gives a *bleep*, because just because its simplistic, doesnt mean its bad, i mean i can say the same for mother 3, its a simple game, but guess, its amazing, and everyone agrees, or dragonquest games, also really simple but lots of people, especially japan, love those games.

Mario games will ALWAYS be simplistic even if they return to the formula of paper mario or ttyd, of course that may just be me, because im experinced in rpgs. The problem with paper mario fans or ones seeking to play paper mario games, is that they continue to torture themselves with these games, sticker star, i mean like i said, ONE GAME, who gives a *bleep*. Do you know how many other rpgs that are more complicated, that are FAR worse then sticker star? It doesnt matter if the games are more simplistic or casual. Even the most simplistic and casual games, can be enjoyed, even future ones. I mean galaxy was very casual, very simplistic, but people love it, and ive already listed examples.

fans of paper mario and people seeking to play them are just making excuses at this point, they're making excuses, to diss this game. I swear the name color splash made fans cringe, THE NAME. People just need to lighten up and be neutral, consider the positives and the negatives. I mean if you're just the average complainer, then the rest of the fans are just gonna be so negative, that even if it is good, they're gonna dislike because its not ttyd or some *bleep*.

You're lucky, i mean all mario rpgs are localized, but not all tales of, half the series is unlocalized, we didnt even get to enjoy the roots, since phantasia was on the gba, and its much worse then sticker star, and all mario rpgs in general. But ya know what, that didnt stop me from enjoying the franchise, infact its my favorite franchise, one bad game, two bad games, big deal man. Just be patient, some franchises start as utter *bleep*. But they get better, you see since mario & luigi are more rpgish then paper mario at this point, they're experimenting, is what im getting, so experiments can be good or bad, but thats no reason to not be neutral about it.

Maybe I used the wrong term - basically, it feels like the newer entries have less "heart", "charm" and "love" put into them than the old ones, which is hard to explain objectively (one objective thing is the lack of original characters and settings in the newer RPG's, but PJ apparently managed to squeeze through). Even with 3D World, there's a bit of a broken base as to whether it's a masterpiece or still a step down from the older games.

Hmm, I guess I'll see how the final game turns out like you said. I really hope they have some surprises in store.

Back