Do you think the Super Mario Galaxy games will become outdated eventually?

I think so. They will eventually become retro classics like GameCube and Dreamcast games.

How would Super Mario Galaxy "age", really? The games have reactive and simple controls, run smooth and look great, and are from a genre that sequels can't be made "obsolete" like realistic sport games and racing simulator games are made redundant by their sequels (and considering I see people wax nostalgic over earlier iterations of Gran Turismo and Madden, or w/e, even that is arguable).

I mean, when traditional input and display methods become obsolete and we start playing video games through neural implants, or if they release a Super Mario Universethat has literally everything from SMG 1 and SMG 2 with better grafx and more features, that'll be when Super Mario Galaxy becomes "outdated", I guess.

At this point it's questionable considering that they still look hella good and the controls are pretty normal since the Wii U still uses 2008 controllers , yep that's trashy.

There's also the fact that Nintendo barely improves graphics , and Galaxy Games have very good ones for a Wii game , like at least it looks a bit more polished than Sunshine.

They still have more depth than the 3D games , especially Galaxy 1 , so unless Nintendo stops being stupid and tries to actually do something interesting again , i guess they are gonna stick around longer.

As outdated as any other major Mario platformer.

Pretty much.

Glowsquid said:
How would Super Mario Galaxy "age", really? The games have reactive and simple controls, run smooth and look great, and are from a genre that sequels can't be made "obsolete" like realistic sport games and racing simulator games are made redundant by their sequels (and considering I see people wax nostalgic over earlier iterations of Gran Turismo and Madden, or w/e, even that is arguable).

I mean, when traditional input and display methods become obsolete and we start playing video games through neural implants, or if they release a Super Mario Universethat has literally everything from SMG 1 and SMG 2 with better grafx and more features, that'll be when Super Mario Galaxy becomes "outdated", I guess.
Tbh I feel like SMG2 was their attempt at trying to go the sports game model because the game feels so uninspired as a 'new' title. Same with the successive NSMB titles as well

I don't know what you mean 'genres' not becoming obsolete. Hell those sports titles aren't obsolete from their genre, it's from updated team lists and advances in technology

Like, I love SM64 to death but playing it now definitely makes it show its age with the crappy models and awful camera. If anything age will make SMG's problems stick out, like bad resolution and motion control gimmick challenges (that golf ball level oh man).

Let's be honest, Yooka-Laylee is gonna be the best thing since Banjo-Tooie and will be on equal footing and will obsolete the crap out of SMG. 100% true. For this and more game facts visit FantaFeed.com.

Asgore said:
Glowsquid said:

I don't know what you mean 'genres' not becoming obsolete.

Re-reading what I wrote, it's kind of clunky and a grammatical catastrophe, but basically my point is that even if Nintendo made a new 3D Mario platformer that was Way Better than the super mario galaxy games, it wouldn't make Super Mario Galaxy "outdated" because they'd still be unique experiences due to their format.

Like, Super Mario World makes many improvements to Super Mario Bros. It has better controls, a complex and interesting world map, etc. I think it's pretty uncontroversial to say most people think SMW is a better game than SMB. But Super Mario World doesn't make Super Mario Bros. "obsolete", simply because SMB has entirely different levels and moving through levels is the main experience in a platforming games, so SMB is still a different experience worth playing to some degree. This is different from sims and sport games where it's a lot more common to make iterative sequels that add more cars/players/tracks, while keeping all (or the vast majority) of stuff that was in previous games intact, making replaying previous games in the series far less appealing.

Or I could put it this way: There are way more people getting back to Super Mario Bros. after playing New Super Mario Bros. U than there are people playing Forza Motorsport 2 after playing Forza Motorsport 6. Of course reality is a lot more complex that, hence the parenthese.

eh not really i think its still early to say anything, i mean it sounds great, looks great, and has smooth controls, sure i dont like the game, but i dont feel like its gonna be outdated anytime soon.

It'll be "dated" eventually. It looks nice today, but it's inevitable that it will show its age at some later point, considering that it's already dated in terms of polycount, texture resolution (and detail such as bumpmap and specmap), and lighting, and its camera controls is probably going to remain its biggest issue in the future. Hell, the model quality is still good (although Ultra Smash's model is much, much better since bones are added to Mario's tongue, hair, mustache, and it is overall higher-poly and has better textures thanks to bumpmapping). But in terms of controls and how it plays, it's still pretty solid.

Swiftie_Luma said:
There's also the fact that Nintendo barely improves graphics, and Galaxy Games have very good ones for a Wii game , like at least it looks a bit more polished than Sunshine.
Eh?

Also, Sunshine is even more dated than Galaxy. It looks so yucky today.

Graphics are usually one of the last things I notice about a Nintendo game, since they usually do a fantastic job with the visuals. I can look back on Super Mario 64 and Super Mario Sunshine and say that they look great even if their texture or model quality is middling to a noticeable degree. As long as they can creatively and prominently use visuals to their advantage, updating their graphics shouldn't be a major concern. It's always nice if they can improve graphics, but I'd rather that they worry about everything else first.

Asgore said:
Let's be honest, Yooka-Laylee is gonna be the best thing since Banjo-Tooie and will be on equal footing and will obsolete the crap out of SMG. 100% true. For this and more game facts visit FantaFeed.com.
This wins the Thread.

Also B-K and B-T is already better than the Galaxies anyways.

I wouldn't say better, just different kinds of experiences.

I think both are great.

Time Turner said:
Graphics are usually one of the last things I notice about a Nintendo game, since they usually do a fantastic job with the visuals. I can look back on Super Mario 64 and Super Mario Sunshine and say that they look great even if their texture or model quality is middling to a noticeable degree. As long as they can creatively and prominently use visuals to their advantage, updating their graphics shouldn't be a major concern. It's always nice if they can improve graphics, but I'd rather that they worry about everything else first.
That's weird because when something is "dated" the first thing I notice are its visuals. When I see Mario's model in Super Mario Sunshine, his eye texture looks so low-res and ugly, and you know what they say, what's seen cannot be unseen. It gets jarring. If they do make a Super Mario Sunshine remake, one of the first thing they should do is to drastically improve the graphics. Just look what happened when Twilight Princess HD was announced; the graphical improvement is not immediately discernible and people harped on that.

If you allow me to elaborate on my previous point, I'm going to make a case point with Galaxy at least looking "dated" purely from a model quality standpoint; stuff like level composition, lighting, music, are left out, so don't tell me "oh, but the screenshots look good". They do. But even then, Mario looks ragged anyhow. I clearly remember this screenshot back in Galaxy's reveal days, and it looked amazing and beautiful. But now, it looks ragged. It's still nice, but just not as spectacular as the first time.

Galaxy renders
MLNPC.PNG
Ultra Smash renders
Mario_and_Luigi_%28render%29_-_Mario_Tennis_Ultra_Smash.png

Not only the Galaxy's textures look fairly low-res (look at Mario's emblem, it's actually pretty disgusting), the hands show that the game uses different hands rather than animate their fingers (3D World does the same thing too), and Ultra Smash has actually an additional layer of texture called a bumpmap that helps create the illusion that give the clothing apparent definition rather than appearing flat.

Don't get me started on Sunshine Mario's eye textures. Dear god, it's so awful.

On another note, Mario and Luigi's proportions were pretty different in Galaxy's time. Just look at the waist shape. Less circular.

Yes, I know I'm talking about Galaxy's from strictly graphical standpoint, but there has to be a point where it is indeed showing age, so going by a very broad definition of "dated", yes, it is dated. "Outdated" is a pretty vague term, so we could be arguing from multiple versions of how we perceive it, so there's that.

Striker Mario said:
Time Turner said:
That's weird because when something is "dated" the first thing I notice are its visuals. When I see Mario's model in Super Mario Sunshine, his eye texture looks so low-res and ugly, and you know what they say, what's seen cannot be unseen. It gets jarring. If they do make a Super Mario Sunshine remake, one of the first thing they should do is to drastically improve the graphics. Just look what happened when Twilight Princess HD was announced; the graphical improvement is not immediately discernible and people harped on that.

If you allow me to elaborate on my previous point, I'm going to make a case point with Galaxy at least looking "dated" purely from a model quality standpoint; stuff like level composition, lighting, music, are left out, so don't tell me "oh, but the screenshots look good". They do. But even then, Mario looks ragged anyhow. I clearly remember this screenshot back in Galaxy's reveal days, and it looked amazing and beautiful. But now, it looks ragged. It's still nice, but just not as spectacular as the first time.

Galaxy renders
MLNPC.PNG
Ultra Smash renders
Mario_and_Luigi_%28render%29_-_Mario_Tennis_Ultra_Smash.png

Not only the Galaxy's textures look fairly low-res (look at Mario's emblem, it's actually pretty disgusting), the hands show that the game uses different hands rather than animate their fingers (3D World does the same thing too), and Ultra Smash has actually an additional layer of texture called a bumpmap that helps create the illusion that give the clothing apparent definition rather than appearing flat.

Don't get me started on Sunshine Mario's eye textures. Dear god, it's so awful.

On another note, Mario and Luigi's proportions were pretty different in Galaxy's time. Just look at the waist shape. Less circular.

Yes, I know I'm talking about Galaxy's from strictly graphical standpoint, but there has to be a point where it is indeed showing age, so going by a very broad definition of "dated", yes, it is dated. "Outdated" is a pretty vague term, so we could be arguing from multiple versions of how we perceive it, so there's that.
The reason why Galaxy looks super outdated is because the Wii's hardware is basically a beefed up GameCube. It's also as weak as a PS2.

How can something be a beefed up gamecube and as weak as a PS2?

That makes no sense since the gamecube was more powerful than a PS2.

Mcmadness said:
How can something be a beefed up gamecube and as weak as a PS2?

That makes no sense since the gamecube was more powerful than a PS2.

By as weak as PS2, I mean that the Wii was the weakest console of it's generation, much like how the PS2 was the weakest console of its generation (the PS2 was in many ways weaker than the Dreamcast, PS2 had no texture compression and less VRAM while the Dreamcast from 1998 had it, it had hardly any anti-aliasing and so much more). The PS2's hardware was horrendously designed when compared to the rest of it's generation.

Zero said:
The reason why Galaxy looks super outdated is because the Wii's hardware is basically a beefed up GameCube.

{{citationneeded}}

Baby Luigi said:
Zero said:
The reason why Galaxy looks super outdated is because the Wii's hardware is basically a beefed up GameCube.

{{citationneeded}}
If you actually compare the Wii and GameCube together, you will see that the Wii's horsepower is equal to two GameCubes stacked together. It's just overclocked with a little bit of improvements to the GPU. Its 2X more powerful than the GCN but not a whole lot.

Back