What happened to Mario in the Smash Bros. Games?

freakworld

El Psy Kongroo
Banned User
12509042_1951232961769137_8292499672326956418_n.jpg

Basically ive been noticing the differences in tone between normal mario and brawl/smash4 mario for a while now (so did other people), but this picture makes it even more appearent.

He seems to be a lot more aggressive in Smash than in his regular games. Like seriously, this almost equals the change kirby undergoes in almost every NA boxart where they change him to look more angry or something.

I'm not quite sure why they're doing this but I always found this stylistic choice to be quite odd.

Discuss.

My personal headcanon is that Mario no longer enjoys Smash Bros, but feels that he has to do it because he's the mascot of Nintendo.

I've been complaining since day 1 of Smash 4's reveal that they should've just ditched the infamous Brawl scowl in Smash 4.

Anyway, you can technically make this argument for Mario Kart's Mario and some other games but the difference is that Mario makes cheerful noises and sometimes does make a cheerful face when he's boosting or making a stunt. But yeah, you need to mention the voice samples Mario makes, it's another remarkable contrast between Smash Bros. and the Mario games. Kind of how Donkey Kong, Bowser, and Diddy Kong have really strange noises. The reasoning behind these "realistic" noises is because "realism" but that's a terrible reason, akin to giving King Dedede penguin noises or Greninja frog noises or something.

Finally, although this is a Brawl thing, don't you think it's strange that Mario has gotten a post-apocalyptic wasteland for a stage as well? It's like a perfect compliment for Mario, lol. We also used to have Luigi being this angsty thing but that's been reduced, thankfully, even Sakurai wanted Luigi to be "everyone's favorite man in green" but Luigi could've benefited from new and cheerful voice samples.

Either way, I hope the developers change this or at least make it look like Melee or Smash 64's facial expressions because this is really out of character for Mario. It's almost like someone should tell him that he should get out and face the sunshine or smell some roses when he's supposed to be doing this on a daily basis.

Also, look at the freaking amiibo.
AMIIBODEMARIO.png
Mario_Amiibo_Artwork.png

Dr. Mario said:
Finally, although this is a Brawl thing, don't you think it's strange that Mario has gotten a post-apocalyptic wasteland for a stage as well?

was going to mention that but forgot.

also i never noticed the voice clips tbh, although its true.

also a similar argument could be made for bowser and yoshi in brawl/melee (they were changed to behave more like usual in smash4 though).

Hanayo Koizumi said:
one of the other smashers stole his spaghetti so hes out for revenge
Hope they made lots of spaghetti because there's gonna be lots of tomato sauce once Mario's done.

horses tbh said:
Dr. Mario said:
Finally, although this is a Brawl thing, don't you think it's strange that Mario has gotten a post-apocalyptic wasteland for a stage as well?

was going to mention that but forgot.

also i never noticed the voice clips tbh, although its true.

also a similar argument could be made for bowser and yoshi in brawl/melee (they were changed to behave more like usual in smash4 though).
I'd say Yoshi in Brawl was just a leftover from his previous builds, which was a lankier, longer, more dinosaur-like character, but they made some changes. I still feel Yoshi's changes are incomplete, but yeah, his stature is more like himself to say the least. Same kind of goes for Bowser, but I feel Yoshi's changed more.

Mario characters are strange in Smash, having different noises and sounds. That's so weird.
Bowser Jr. is the only exception.

I think Wario's overall demeanor fits him, as a strange, creepy gross, but stupid strong person, but it could be toned down a bit. I'm not sure why Smash 4 even removed the shoulder tackle fsmash. I also find it dumb that Bowser Jr. doesn't have "realistic" voices like Bowser too. I mean... why bother keeping those terrible Brawl voices especially when Smash 4 has intentionally, specifically, AND actively gone away from realism (slide 5)?

any old joe can reuse older voice clips like bowser jr. has

I, an old average joe, can do it, so a professional sound teams that develops smash bros. can do it as well

then why is he the only character with that face then?

I think money would be his least concern after New Super Mario Bros. 2 and having his own face in Mount Mushmore and a space station.

GalacticPetey said:
Maybe he has that look because he's participating in intense combat?
But so are Kirby, Ness, Luigi, Peach, and Bowser Jr. They don't have that face. And Mario Strikers Charged is arguably more intense (after all, Super Mario Spikers, its would-be successor, got canceled because it violated Nintendo's code of honor, implying that the game was a little too violent) and Mario still flashes a smirk or a grin.

ive been asking this since brawl came out, like whats your fuckin deal man you're not some bad ass little kids goggle over you

smash 4 made it better I guess but I dunno

also did you ever see the weird parallel between the way he held his hands in brawl and master/crazy hand? maybe he's channeling their EVIL

BEEEEEAAARRRS said:
ive been asking this since brawl came out, like whats your fuckin deal man you're not some bad ass little kids goggle over you

?

i literally said i wasnt the only one who noticed it or who are you referring to

BEEEEEAAARRRS said:
ive been asking this since brawl came out, like whats your *bleep*in deal man you're not some bad ass little kids goggle over you
Same thing for Master Chief, James Bond, Snake, Marvel heroes, Samus, and, well, guys from action movies. Kids love quality violent stuff. Like Mario games.

Also, you forgot young women.

horses tbh said:
BEEEEEAAARRRS said:

?

i literally said i wasnt the only one who noticed it or who are you referring to

this is old but I was referring to mario when I posted that lol

I hate Mario's personality in Smash. It's just not him. His voice is also raspier than usual and I don't like that. I liked his Melee incarnation better, honestly.

I'm indifferent to Mario's Smash personality. Ideally, he'd still have moments of anger/seriousness but show his usual jolly side for taunts and victory poses.

Though you know what would have been overkill? Having a Flying Mario palette swap. OW THE EDGE

Midna said:
12509042_1951232961769137_8292499672326956418_n.jpg

Basically ive been noticing the differences in tone between normal mario and brawl/smash4 mario for a while now (so did other people), but this picture makes it even more appearent.

He seems to be a lot more aggressive in Smash than in his regular games. Like seriously, this almost equals the change kirby undergoes in almost every NA boxart where they change him to look more angry or something.

I'm not quite sure why they're doing this but I always found this stylistic choice to be quite odd.

Discuss.

is this what i get for hotlinking from facebook?

I hate Bowser's smash voice.

Smash for Wii U modding has only started

I don't have recording equipment, but I did change Bowser's voice in Project M and he sounds a million times better.

Mcmadness said:
I hate Bowser's smash voice.
I hate his, Donkey Kong's, and Diddy Kong's voices with a passion.

I don't dislike Mario's and Luigi's as much, but I still think they're meh. Mario has a pretty funny star scream (sounds like a Mario version of the Goofy holler), but I replaced his voice in Brawl and he sounds better.

Mario sounds like he's 65 in smash.

Back