Rosalina: character development or character derailment?

Mary Berry said:
Everything starts some sort of controversy nowadays, so yes I'm with Magikrazy here.
Things_People_Find_Offensive.jpg

I like a little skin now and then.

MnSG said:
It often feels disturbing to see Rosalina artworks that are beyond borderline. Sometimes I feel like her own dress should cover a lot more of her shoulders, because I see a lot of artworks where the dress is so loose that it exposes a lot of her upper torso; Rosalina basically risks exposing her private areas. If the dress was modified so that it covers Rosalina's entire body, instead of exposing her shoulders, then we probably wouldn't see those kinds of artworks so often.
You have to expect that. It's the Internet. I have to endure with Mario on drugs or being super overweight and it bothers me a lot, but I try my best to ignore it. I feel your pain, though, finding decent Rosalina art is painful and damages my perception on humanity and I can't take it for long, and that's browsing with the filter ON. Mario's not as bad.

Striker Mario said:
You have to expect that. It's the Internet. I have to endure with Mario on drugs or being super overweight and it bothers me a lot, but I try my best to ignore it. I feel your pain, though, finding decent Rosalina art is painful and damages my perception on humanity and I can't take it for long, and that's browsing with the filter ON. Mario's not as bad.

At least the one thing saving Mario is the fact that he's a man. Females are often more prone to being oversexualized.

MnSG said:
Striker Mario said:

At least the one thing saving Mario is the fact that he's a man. Females are often more prone to being oversexualized.

At least in terms of fanart, yes.

Effie said:
she should just show it all

who cares about standards

Be careful what you wish for. Frankly, Rosalina looks a lot better while she's wearing her dress.

MnSG said:
Effie said:
she should just show it all

who cares about standards

Be careful what you wish for. Frankly, Rosalina looks a lot better while she's wearing her dress.

well considering ive already seen it, wish was good.

MnSG said:
Striker Mario said:

That's true. And I don't get men.

Iggy Waffles said:
I din't believe what this thread turned into.

Technically, the recent discussions do have some involvement with the character derailment that Rosalina has been dealing with.

MnSG said:
Iggy Waffles said:
I din't believe what this thread turned into.

Technically, the recent discussions do have some involvement with the character derailment that Rosalina has been dealing with.

How exactly does a one-piece swimsuit mean Rosalina has lost all her character and turned into a blatant sex object?
By that logic, Peach and Daisy have as well.

YoshiCookie said:
How exactly does a one-piece swimsuit mean Rosalina has lost all her character and turned into a blatant sex object?

I guess it mostly has to do with Rosalina being like a cosmic goddess. It just looks odd to see Rosalina not wear a dress, but I can understand why she had to wear a biker suit to use bikes and ATVs.

You know Rosalina isn't a goddess. She's in charge of the lumas and what not but is by no means a goddess.

Mcmadness said:
You know Rosalina isn't a goddess. She's in charge of the lumas and what not but is by no means a goddess.
He said like a goddess.
Still wonder how she can survive for centuries though.
MnSG said:
YoshiCookie said:

I guess it mostly has to do with Rosalina being like a cosmic goddess. It just looks odd to see Rosalina not wear a dress, but I can understand why she had to wear a biker suit to use bikes and ATVs.
What's wrong with her letting loose a little though? Otherwise, it feels like you're shaming her body. It's also understandable why she has to wear a tennis outfit and shoes (maneuverability) and a swimsuit/leotard (once again, maneuverability and easier to dry).

They're quite modest anyways. Her swimsuit is much more modest than say, a bikini and her tennis outfit has full-legged stockings. Her...less modest portrayals come from fanart, which is inevitable and has nothing to do with Nintendo.

I'm not sure how anybody can say she's like a goddess either. She has magical powers and is in charge of the observatory but that hardly screams goddess.

I think what happened was Rosalina enjoyed hanging around the Mario gang, so Lubba offered to watch over the Comet Observatory in her place.

Mcmadness said:

I didn't say that Rosalina "is" a goddess. I'm only saying that her powers make her feel like a goddess.

And I still don't see how she feels like one either. She displays fairly basic magical powers.

MnSG said:
YoshiCookie said:

But Rosalina isn't only a goddess, she's also a woman who likes to spend time with her friends, which includes Mario and Luigi. Women always wear sports wear when playing sports (although I doubt men always wear overalls but it's more practical in overalls than a long dress when you're running around or swimming). What Rosalina wears is very modest, same thing with Peach and Daisy, although I'm not really a huge fan of Strikers (where their stomach is a bit too revealing but it's not terrible, and the guys don't really wear armor over their stomachs anyway, just a shirt) or Daisy's mini skirt which doesn't suit her as much as shorts.

The thing is, Rosalina typically levitates, so she can potentially play tennis while wearing her typical dress. She never wore a sports outfit while playing golf after all.

Yeah, she was able to fight in Smash Bros. with a dress, same for Peach. I think sport is a different case. Now that I think about it, it's probably to maintain consistency with the other women like Peach and Daisy since the three have similar (but subtly different) builds and outfits. In the end, though, I don't hate Rosalina and I don't mind her outfit additions. What I don't like is people gawking at her.

Mcmadness said:
I'm not sure how anybody can say she's like a goddess either. She has magical powers and is in charge of the observatory but that hardly screams goddess.
Good point. She could have easily defeated Bowser if that was the case. I see her more as a human who somehow ended up in space and got some powers do to exposure to star children(Star Cubs, Starlings, whatever.)

Back