Theory About Toadette

garridk

Goomba
I was just thinking about this one day, and it's something I found interesting.
So, Toadette's first appearance was in Mario Kart: Double Dash, released in 2003. A thing very interesting I noticed is that she wears her regular pink outfit in-game, but in her artwork she's wearing an orange dress. This orange dress is the exact same dress she wears in her next appearance, Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door, released a year later in 2004. Now you gotta remember, spinoff characters like Toadette don't usually appear in Mario RPGs. In fact, the only other Mario RPG that had a spinoff character in it is Mario & Luigi Paper Jam, which coincidentally also featured Toadette. So why is Toadette in TYD and with her orange dress, and why did Toadette's artwork from MKDD have the orange dress? Well, I got a theory. A GAME THEORY! (sorry, I couldn't resist)

Well, for MKDD they needed to give Toad a partner. They didn't wanna use Toadsworth or a generic colored Toad, so they needed someone else. Someone on the team was probably looking at progress of TYD and saw Toadette, who was a supporting character in that game. They thought it would be cool to use her in the game, so she was put in. Further backing up my theory is that the two games were likely in development at the same time, as their release dates are only a year apart. But that doesn't solve the fact that Toadette wears pink in MKDD while her artwork shows an orange dress. Well, I believe they were originally going to keep her orange dress for the game, but sometime after they finished the artwork they changed it to pink for aesthetic purposes.

What do you guys think?

Or: they based the sprite on the double dash artwork

Glowsquid said:
Or: they based the sprite on the double dash artwork
That could be it too, but I'd be questioning why they would be using Toadette for TYD of all characters.

It was foreshadowing of things to come - of when Toads would become all the random NPCs as of Paper Mario: Sticker Star.

Walkazo said:
It was foreshadowing of things to come - of when Toads would become all the random NPCs as of Paper Mario: Sticker Star.
Haha you're probably right! XD

I think the pink dress goes better than the red-orange one, it's better fitting

I can see the vague resemblance but that's as far as I can tell

Back