Your opinion on Bowser's character development in the Mario & Luigi subseries?

Ryu

Koopa Troopa
Do you prefer Bowser as a goofy, bumbling side villain as he was in SS and PiT, a badass and competent main villain as he is in DT and PJ, or the circumstantial anti-hero of BiS?

Personally, I'd go with the latter. Bowser's always been one of my favorite Mario characters, being an evil dragon-turtle with a lovable, overly macho hot-blooded personality and all. I wasn't particularly a fan of how he spent most of SS either as an amnesiac sidekick or a passive vessel for Cackletta, but his portrayal and boss fights in DT and PJ - especially with Yoko Shimomura's epic soundtrack - rekindled my interest in the Mario franchise in general. Bowser's probably the most famous gaming villain of all, so he deserves to be a legitimate threat - even better since he's still as hammy and hilarious as always.

I prefer him as the antagonist that is taken seriously (within the context of the Mario world) then some bumbling idiot he's been in the past.

Though BiS probably had the best example of him being on the good side since he was never actually interested in helping anyone. He either did it for a reward or they just happened to benefit from what he was doing.

You know what I thought about in regards to Bowser recently was, people always point out how stupid it is he participates in Kart racing, Golf, Tennis, and so on. But if he wasn't playable in these games wouldn't his fans just be suggesting that he should be? Right? And are the subseries versions considered different universe versions?

Well technically it's because there is no canon but in my headcanon the kart stuff doesn't happen.

When Bowser has no power (like in BiS and early stages of DT), he acts pretty immature and idiotically. If you give him power then he can come off as a serious threat and later stages of DT did show this.

mario party is the best bowser

I like it when Bowser's funny but competent, so the more recent games definitely have SS and PiT beat, although the only one I've actually played so far is BIS, which still had some frustrating too-dumb-to-live moments, but overall, was a good depiction of him.

there are two sides to bowser: his fighter side (like my avatars) and his idiot, klutzy side (like a pic on his bjaodn section).

i prefer somewhere in between, because it reminds me of me. I'm a bit rough, but I also have like zero common sense and am a real klutz.

the best example of the in between is MP10 imo. he's still a fighter, but isn't exactly a complete idiot.

Lord Vader said:
I prefer him as an anti hero.
Pretty much this. As I've said many times in the past, I'm simply not all that impressed with him as a villain.

Baby Luigi said:
mario party is the best bowser
I agree with my sister. What a big surprise.

But seriously, it's the only time where he can pose to be a serious threat to Wario, and Wario often can't do anything about it. Aside from the original Strikers, I guess.

Back