John Romero uploads footage of PC SMB3 port

It really was a SMB3 port! Very interesting to see what they had done, although many mechanics had yet to be fleshed out.

i would've welcomed the smb3 version of the dos megaman game

Should we add this to the wiki?

YoshiCookie said:
In some ways it looks better than the SNES version; in some ways it looks worse.
Super Mario's form looks hideous for starters...

Nintendo said:
The thing is, id, while this is certainly very impressive, it just doesn't live up to our high high standards. Now, as much as I'd like to keep y'all around, we're due for a meeting with the Software Toolworks soon. Wanting to put Mario's face on some piece of garbage no doubt. It's like I always say: 'why not?'

Hey imagine growing up with Ocarina of Time 3D and being shown the original

EWlF8hD.png

Now I know the NES version of SMB3 came first but you can't judge a game because of the limitations of the system it's on. This was the best DOS could do at the time, except scratch that it was one step better than what DOS could do because the whole point of the demo was to show that they'd introduced smooth scrolling backgrounds to a PC game. Remember how SMB Special awkwardly jumped from one screen to the next? Yeah that's why and that was on two different computers. That color palette was the best they had and they couldn't accurately recreate the original sprites because ripping sprites wasn't a thing and it was a prototype and if Nintendo gave them the okay they probably would've said "here use these instead" and given them more fitting graphics. So shut up it was the best it was a revolution if not for this you probably wouldn't have been born.

SiFi said:
Nintendo said:
The thing is, id, while this is certainly very impressive, it just doesn't live up to our high high standards. Now, as much as I'd like to keep y'all around, we're due for a meeting with the Software Toolworks soon. Wanting to put Mario's face on some piece of garbage no doubt. It's like I always say: 'why not?'

Nintendo would soon regret saying this I swear

Back