Do you consider Cat Mario & Cat Peach to be distinct characters (from regular)?

winstein

Justice is not limited, it is a universal quality
Awards Committee
MarioWiki
winstein
Now, I know what you might be thinking: when are power-up influenced characters considered their own characters?

Actually, there is a precedent. Metal Mario, as much as he is a power-up influenced character, managed to find distinct roles ever since his debut in Super Mario 64. For one, Super Smash Bros. (Nintendo 64) has him as a boss character, and even has the occasional playable role, with early examples dating back to Mario Golf (Nintendo 64) and Dr. Mario 64. Despite the lack of distinct personality from Mario's, Metal Mario managed to forge his own identity (and that leads to Pink Gold Peach, which is a love or hate character).

You might think that this would apply to other Mario power-ups or outfits, but they don't really amount to much since they didn't get to develop their own identity beyond an extension of Mario's. Quite a few managed to do it, such as Tanooki Mario (since he's included in Mario Kart 8 ) and Dr. Mario (who became known as his own character due to Super Smash Bros. Melee). Cat Mario is a bit more special in this case because, although he's introduced in Super Mario 3D World, he's got a main starring role outside of that game: "The Cat Mario Show".

If you are not aware, Cat Mario and Cat Peach have their own show called the "Cat Mario Show". In this show, Cat Mario and Cat Peach, as puppets, do some commentary about Nintendo games. In terms of personality, perhaps they don't quite have the same personality as the regular Mario and Peach, because for one, they have different voices compared to their regulars. Even in the US version of the show, Mario is not voiced by Charles Martinet that you might even think this version of Mario is distinct from regular Mario, much like the live-action film Mario, Captain Lou Albino version of Mario, and maybe Baby Mario (voiced by the same person as Mario, but have a different voice).

In terms of relevancy to the Mario fan, they might be pretty obscure, and this is understandable. Their exposure is limited to Nintendo videos, as they can only be viewed from Nintendo-based avenues, namely the Wii U/3DS eShops and their Youtube channels. Adding to this, they don't have as many episodes featured in US and Europe, as compared to Japan, which has already have 52 episodes so far (and they had a celebratory 50th episode, I must add). As such, they likely are most well-known in Japan compared to other places.

That's why it's interesting that Cat Mario is presented as a costume in Super Mario Maker, as although it's Mario in another costume, it's added in based that show rather than being from Super Mario 3D World, if the level that you have to beat to get this costume is any indication (read that level's description). Even Cat Peach is a separate character in Mario Kart 8, in addition to being a Super Mario Maker costume.

Although Cat Mario isn't treated as distinct in any game, I felt that Cat Mario is a character that is different from Mario, and the same goes for Cat Peach.

So, would you say that Cat Mario and Cat Peach are distinct characters from their regular counterparts, and why?

Thanks for reading.

Not really. I mean, Baby Mario and Luigi appear as separately playable characters at points despite literally being just Mario and Luigi from another time. So whatever questionable sorcery is letting those two appear in the same time frame as their adult counterparts, it can pretty much be surmised that the same thing applies to Cat Mario and Metal Mario; They are just regular old Mario supplanted from a time when he was wearing the suit/cap.

Although I don't really remember playing SM64 and a giant hand snatching me through a time portal and demanding that I kart race, I assume Lakitu just cut that part out in post.

As for Pink Gold Peach: She's a kart-racing demon that draws sustenance from Nintendo's apathy. They accidentally summonned her after opening one too many time portals to look for alternate instances of the same characters instead of new ones they could use. They've been stuck with her ever since and she's slowly eating them. The less is said about her, the better.

Well, the same could be said about Dry Bowser, who is Bowser, yet he's seen alongside him in many games, even the latest Mario Tennis: Ultra Smash. Not to say that since online play is a thing in Mario Kart, the same character can be seen used by multiple players in the same race. I don't think this makes them separate characters, so I wouldn't read too much into this. The Double Dash!! manual even underlines this total absurdity of having Mario and Baby Mario in the same game, which means that spin-off games don't even try making sense regarding their roster.
Regarding the Cat Mario show, you can guess that they just couldn't hire Charles Martinet and Samantha Kelly for all these shows, especially because they are in different languages (yes, even Italian!). I've actually seen these episodes and it seems that Cat Mario considers himself to be Mario, saying for example that he's the good guy when Bowser comes up.
So, as a TL;DR I'd say that Cat Mario is separate from Mario as long as it makes sense from a gameplay/brand management point of view, but this doesn't make him a distinct character.

Raigh said:
They're literally Mario and Peach in a cat suit. They're the same as Mario and Peach.
It's like every superhero: person + suit = hero = still the person just now they show their powers and hide their faces and go by a fake name

I consider Dry Bowser to be witchcraft or whatever everytime he appears alongside the real Bowser. Metal Mario etc. are also not the actual Mario, but like, a separate entity taking his form; baby characters are time travel; and SSB is a fever dream hence there's Mario as well as his pharmacist alter-ego. Alternatively: holograms, and/or all the modern race games and whatnot are just VR since the early, actual races were environmentally unfriendly, costly and created lots of traffic problems and property damage.

Walkazo said:
I consider Dry Bowser to be witchcraft or whatever everytime he appears alongside the real Bowser.
Dry Bowser is 100% withcraft. How many times did Bowser fell in the lava and had only moderate burns, if anything at all? Then, one day he falls into the lava and BAM! He becomes a living skeleton. I smell some Kamek sorcery went wrong.

Cat Mario and Cat Peach are definitely not their own characters. Even if they have different voices in some stupid show thing, it's like, the same reason Mario received a different voice in cartoons, they probably couldn't get Martinet or something.

As for Metal Mario, we have a headcannon that he's just a living metal thing created from Bowser and stuff, I don't know.

For appearances in Mario Kart 8, you can race as 4 Warios, so.....Cat Mario isn't too weird. I guess Mario tinkered with inter-dimensions and pulled his other timeline selves into the race.

Now, let me go back to my corner and keep uttering something about Baby Luigi if you don't mind.

Nope. Just them in suits.

Also it's tanooki Mario, not cat Mario.

While the hypothetical Peach species remains elusive, we have already documented evidence of a Mario species which explains for the multiple Marios

And with the discovery of the Costume Mario power-up, we can also extend our conclusions to the entire Super Smash Bros. cast, that they are all ultimately members of the Mario species under the guise of the Mystery Mushroom although we haven't yet confirmed that all members of the Mario Kart 8 cast are also disguised Mario species, but it would be safe to assume that they are too, and the Peach species are perhaps just multiple Mario creatures in the guise of other Peachs.

It doesn't matter if it isn't Martinet or Kelly.

Back