so the Super Mario Wiki is banned in China

Glowsquid

Shine Sprite
Retired Forum Mod
Retired Wiki Staff
'Shroom Consultant
No, really. According to several Chinese internet users, the wiki and several others owned by Porplemontage are inexplicably blocked by China's infamous firewall.:

http://www.mariowiki.com/User_talk:Porplemontage#A_message_from_another_user

Hey Porplemontage, I have a message from A gossip-loving Toad, a member from China that has this wiki blocked.

Hi Porplemontage, It has been confirmed that the Super Mario Wiki, as well as several other wiki of yours, is blοcked in Сhina. There is a discussion about it in a Сhinese Mario forum: http://tieba.baidu.com/p/4158963159

I myself has joined the Wiki on August 2014, and since then the Wiki is blocked on May 2015 but then unblocked in a week, on June 2015 but then unblocked on about August 2, on August 8 but unblocked then on an unknown time, and blocked again two weeks ago. I miss this Wiki very much.

- User:A gossip-loving Toad

--Zootalo (talk) 13:01, 22 November 2015 (EST)

http://tieba.baidu.com/p/4158963159

Clearly the wiki was too dangerous and subversive.

I hope this is a false positive and the situation is resolved soon. Sucks for our Chinese readers.

Is China still attacking Userpedia?

I sense a pattern here.

The Chinese government has a troublesome past of blocking sites for little to no justification. I doubt that any block or unblock is going to stay for long, most notably the unblocks.

China's lifted their ban on video games too, so censoring MarioWiki makes even less sense.

BUT...

China banned Google, then made Baidu.
China banned YouTube, then made Youku.
China banned Facebook, then made Seina Weibo.

Chinese MarioWiki confirmed.

It makes me wish I understand and read Chinese so I can contribute. I'm betting on a false positive on this, though. Are there similar sites blocked like that? There might be justification for Google and Youtube, but MarioWiki? Can't think of anything other than maybe its crappy community. ;)

Andymii said:
China's lifted their ban on video games too, so censoring MarioWiki makes even less sense.

BUT...

Apparently, the Chinese seem to make knock-offs on major sites and companies with how they have their own Google, Facebook, and YouTube.

Viper26 said:
Andymii said:

BUT...

Apparently, the Chinese seem to make knock-offs on major sites and companies with how they have their own Google, Facebook, and YouTube.

Yeah. They're not letting major companies in, and in turn making their own "versions" (in that I mean identical). You'd think if they were censoring websites to keep people from inappropriate material, they wouldn't create their own app that serves the same purpose. Like seiously, they banned the government discourages texting, then there's WeChat, a Chinese texting app that is completely legal.

Frustratingly, though, it's boosting their economy.

Andymii said:
Yeah. They're not letting major companies in, and in turn making their own "versions" (in that I mean identical). You'd think if they were censoring websites to keep people from inappropriate material, they wouldn't create their own app that serves the same purpose. Like seiously, they banned the government discourages texting, then there's WeChat, a Chinese texting app that is completely legal.

Frustratingly, though, it's boosting their economy.

I think that's actually main reason they're banning those sites.

This is why I think censorship is wrong. It takes freedom away from people.

freakworld said:
Clearly that was a serious comment and not just me trying to ridicule conspiracy theorists

heeeeeeey look everyone, it's me, freakworld! did you know i love zelda wind waker more than anything else on earth? it's truuuuue

The Chinese government needs to stop their shit censorship laws if they keep banning sites that can be very popular there. I know China needs an economy, but the Chinese government seem so dam selfish with how they have their own knock off versions of sites and companies.

kfc-obama.jpg

Presidential service and quality?

220px-KFC_Home_Base.jpg

At least Australia doesn't make knock offs. Any company that gets ripped off with Chinese knock offs should do something against the knock off.

yeah dude uh... how are you gonna force them, lol

My extended family members all live in China.

They have no idea what Tank Man is. That stuff's censored. It's not just businesses that are hidden to the Chinese people.

Andymii said:
My extended family members all live in China.

They have no idea what Tank Man is. That stuff's censored. It's not just businesses that are hidden to the Chinese people.
Pretty much the Chinese government wants to ban stuff from outside their country.

do we even have any readers in china? considering china bans video games (or at least used to, not sure where they stand on that rn), i wouldn't imagine we'd get too many hits

I checked the PollDaddy voter location tool. Only rarely are there voters from China. But once in a while, there are (and by that I mean one Chinese vote every few months. So yeah, one in every 10,000-15,000 votes is Chinese. Pretty small).

Andymii said:
I checked the PollDaddy voter location tool. Only rarely are there voters from China. But once in a while, there are (and by that I mean one Chinese vote every few months. So yeah, one in every 10,000-15,000 votes is Chinese. Pretty small).
Which makes me thinking this site really is banned in China. Very unfortunate for our Chinese readers and members.

Back