What was up with Toadette's complete absence from 2009 to 2013?

warelander

Goomba
After her debut in Double Dash!! Toadette became a pretty notable character for the remaining GameCube and early Wii eras, apprearing in a sizable amount of spin offs and even getting an appearence in Thousand Year Door and a cameo in the opening of the first Super Mario Galaxy, after Super Sluggers thought, she just suddenly vanished, with no further appearences for several years.

Now granted several characters vanished or made fewer appearences after that game, but Toadette is a particulary strange case for me, because ever since last year she has appeared in:

Mario Golf: World Tour
Mario Kart 8
Smash For Wii U (Trophy cameo)
Captain Toad Treasure Tracker
Mario Party 10
and will appear in the upcoming Mario Tennis Ultra Smash and Mario & Luigi Paper Jam.

If anything she is now getting better treatment then ever before, finally becoming playable in Camelot's games and getting two non-spin off appearences in the span of two years.

As a fan of the Toads I'm obviously very happy about this, but on other hand it just perplexes me even more. Nintendo clearly isn't opposed to having her around and giving her exposure, so what was it with those five years of nothing?

sometimes characters are in games and sometimes they aren't

True, but for a character that appeared so frequently before vanishing for five years and getting thrown out of every series she was ever in, only to return later and make even more appearences then before the hiatus is pretty strange.

It's not even like with the Koopalings where they had Bowser Jr to take their place and take it even further, Toadette was just gone from one game to the next and that was pretty much it.

There was an overall lack of spin-offs in that era, and there's ndcube acting like a dumbass.

i dont think theres any behind the scene drama or event that explains why toadette "dissapeared" and was "brought back". sometimes thing just happen.

though if I had to hazard a guess, I suppose it could be because 3DS/Wii U development is more expensive and toadette's design is so blatantly similar to toad that they figured it would be cheaper and quicker to use her and still have a technicaly "unique" character, but, yeah

Surprised you didn't hear about this, but there was a huge controversy surrounding several players after the release of Super Sluggers.

Apparently, these players were using performance enhancing power ups. And not the legal ones like Super Mushrooms, either. These people were injecting themselves with concentrated Stars two or three times a day during production of this game. When the Mario Sports League found out, Lakitu (the commissioner) banned all people who tested positive. However, he realized his lapse in judgment when it turned out some of the accused produced false positives due to ingesting 1-up Mushrooms, a legal enhancer. These folks came back relatively quickly.

Toadette wasn't one of these people. She confessed to taking Stars at a press conference in mid 2010. She also stated she would become clean and off Stars. Come 2013, she challenged her ban and it was lifted.

Unfortunately, there wasn't happy endings for everyone. King K Rool, noted villain of the Donkey Kong Country series, denied all accusations despite security tapes catching him "powering up" several times. He claimed that was his brother Kaptain K Rool in the tapes, but records show that Kaptain is simply one of King K Rool's many personalities. He cut off all ties with the Mario Sports League as well as Donkey Kong Island, and on July 8, 2013, K Rool was found dead in his lair in the Northern Kremisphere from a self inflicted cannonball wound. He was 37.

i misread "toadette" as "toadbert" at first, and this confused me

but yeah there's no ulterior motive behind it, this is just The Year Of Toadette™

you see toadsworth has a second personality and....

This kind of reminds me of Rosalina, but with a shorter duration of absence and an even bigger surge in popularity.

Yeah, yeah, my wording is terrible. The caffeine rush is not letting me think.

Back