Favorite All-Time Mario game?

Magikrazy

Donkey Kong
What is your favorite Mario game of all time?

Mine is definitely Luigi's Mansion. It's the oldest Mario game I still have and the first Mario game I got on a physical copy (I could argue that Game & Watch Gallery 4 holds that distinction, but I consider that more a Game & Watch game than a Mario game). It's very fun, and I enjoy the spookiness to it. I've completed that game so many times, but I still come back to it again and again.

super mario world cause of all the memories i have with my snes and playing with friends/family/etc. or even just by myself and trying to find secrets and just progressing through the world.

it taught me a lot of things, like the words "dome", "valley", and "illusion"
i was still like 5 or younger probably when i played this game so i didnt know what they meant but then like when the word popped up in literature or something later on in school i just sorta remembered from the game and was like "oh ive seen that word before" (i guess it sounds kinda dumb but w/e)

and also made you use your brain to solve problems (games like smb3 back then were just linear most of the time, not saying it was a bad thing, but smw was more complex)
like, once again from 5 year old me perspective(i still remember me sitting there paused trying to think this out lol), the exit in choco-ghost house was pretty tricky, and you had to use perch block boos to help you stair up. i dunno but that was pretty complex for me back then playing the game, cause i literally thought the only way was to fly up there with a cape but it was hard or i kept losing the power up to the string of boos that would bounce along the walls.

ive also completed it many times and the replayability is pretty high for me from time to time

super paper mario

was the most enjoyable game with the second highest replay value, for me (first would be super mario galaxy, which is also second place in enjoyability for me.)

Super Mario 64, easily. There are so many ways to play the game which opens up for so my replayablilty. I don't think a single Mario game has given the player as much manoeuvrability as Super Mario 64 has, ever. I always enjoy finding new ways to obtain stars. Hell, even just moving around is fun. Everything in Super Mario 64 is just pure, distilled fun.

Nothing will ever beat Super Mario Sunshine in my eyes. That game was and still is so much fun that it's ridiculous. I think FLUDD was a great mechanic, all the worlds were so memorable and neat to travel around, the secret levels without FLUDD were so, soooo good, and the music was fantastic.

I used to say sunshine but I've been rather enjoying a lot of them lately.

Mario Kart 8, if they're not modded.

Hard to count Wii games thanks to homebrew, which makes Mario Kart Wii and New Super Mario Bros. Wii (Newer in this case) a totally different experience.

New Super Mario Bros. Wii if you factor in mods, especially Newer Super Mario Bros. Wii.

Without mods, probably Mario Party 6, but I hardly play Mario games without mods nowadays, so *shrugs*.

super mario galaxy
the levels are really fun and well designed, amazing soundtrack, and rosalina is an awesome character
those storybook feels

I like so many, especially the GameCube games only because of nostalgia, but I think I've finally settled on Paper Mario The Thousand Year Door. The unique atmosphere, characters, and dialogue were all great in my opinion. Glitzville and Excess Express were some of the most different levels, and we probably won't see any more like them again. And so be it, it makes TTYD greater than the others in comparison.

I'd say paper mario.

For my first rpg it was really a grand adventure for more, seeing the badge system with its impressive battle customization, its variety in action commands, the very fitting story but still enjoyable, making peach more interesting and useful than previous games, lots of personality, a very fun soundtrack, and just an overall good game.

Sure it has its flaws of course like its side content, or the paper sprites not looking the best, and chapter 6 sucking, but overall the positives absolutely outweigh the negatives.

It was my first rpg and it was glorious to play, i do go back to it on occasions though and love it then as well, i think the game has aged well too and it will always stay in my heart for its grand entry for my love for rpgs.

The whole Galaxy and Paper mario series. Also, inside story is fun too.

Grahh, that's like choosing between my mom and dad! It's soo hard, grrr ;)

Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island.

I loved the setting, the platforming, the Yoshi. Plus it was the game that got me into the overall Mario series.

2D Mario games: Yoshi's Island (SMW is in close second due to the great nonlinearity)
3D Mario games: Super Mario 64 (again, the openness of the levels and of the gameplay makes it even better than Super Mario Galaxy)
Mario Kart games: Mario Kart: Double Dash!! (here in reality my evaluation is a bit more complex: I think MKDD and MKW are more complete than MK8, however MK8 200cc is definitely my favorite way of playing Mario Kart, and of course I couldn't be happier that the Koopalings are finally playable)
Mario RPG: I should play more Mario & Luigi RPGs, however PM:TTYD is easily my favorite (never seen something as beautiful as Boggly Woods and Riverside Station, the characters' art direction is terrific as well, the partners are really nice, especially Mini-Yoshi, and the game and battle mechanics are arguably the best of the series, M&L: SS and the first Paper Mario deserve their own mention, however)

super mario sunshine for me 8)

Either Galaxy or M&L: Dream Team. Galaxy is an amazing platformer and the better game overall, but I love Dream Team just as much because of all the memorable characters, excellent music and fun battles.

Super Mario All Stars: Or how to make Super Mario Bros. 3 even better.
Mario Kart 64: I played this too much time, it has excellent courses and the best mechanics.
New Super Mario Bros. Wii: Great level design, this game is like the ultimate fun if you can play 4 players.

Back