Should Mario become photorealistic or go the photorealistic route?

Should he?

• Yes, it's about time Mario should move on from the cartoony style and have realism to keep up with m

Votes: 3 6.5%
  • No, the cartoony style is fine as is.

Votes: 41 89.1%
  • I don't care if it's cartoony or realistic.

Votes: 2 4.3%

• Total voters

Dr. Peach

Rest in Peace Walkazo 1991-2016
Banned User
Hey folks. I had this one thought about Mario going the photorealistic route after seeing Project Cars and the realism it had. I mean, I see photorealistic games as the way of the future.

What do you folks think about it?

The Mario franchise's charm comes from that cartoony feel you get in each game, and taking it away is like taking guns out of Call of Duty..it just won't work. It's an interesting idea though.

Long answer: No.

i might be the only person who thinks this but i wouldn't be opposed to a "realistic" take on mario

that said there's no reason to get rid of the cartoonish style it has right now

Yes because that worked so well for Bomberman Zero

I'm inclined to say "no", but I'm actually going to say "yes", because it sounds like it'd be really funny.

For all the wrong reasons, of course. But still, It'd probably be really entertaining.

On second thought, it'd probably just look a lot like the Super Mario live-action movie.

Phyllis said:
On second thought, it'd probably just look a lot like the Super Mario live-action movie.

Or worse!

Short answer: no.

Long answer: nooooooooooooo.

Mario games (and Mario) are supposed to be cute and cartoony. Realistic Mario is grotesque and disgusting.

No, it will cause nightmares as stylized characters can be creepy looking if they are made realistic looking. Even if Nintendo tries to make Mario look like a correctly proportioned human, he is no longer Mario.

No.

Not only do I like Mario all cartoonish as it is now, but we already have so many realistic games it's taking away from the creative and unique styles people can come up with. Cartoony games, surprisingly, almost seem to be rare these days. I didn't like when Zelda games tried to be realistic looking, quite honestly. I'm still waiting for another fully 3D Wind Waker styled game. But on the other hand, photorealistic Mario can look hilarious. But I'd rather that only have the fandom stick with that.

If Nintendo ever decided to do it, it's probably be only within one, awful, horrible sub-series. :dk:

Blue the Raptor said:
Pi said:
Realism is dumb because it makes games look dated after only having been out for six months.
Realism kind of looks dumb in the first place.
Mario games still need an ounce of realism such as lighting effects, but in terms of model and character designs, yeah.

In the other hand, I still like to see Mario in a weird Unreal Engine kind of thing like this (video).

The main problem with realism is the fact that realistic-looking noses can make a human cartoon character look uglier when you add nostril definition to the mix.

Sometimes, if you want a cartoon human to look good, his/her nose would probably want to look more anime-styled. There can be some exceptions to this rule, however, since the Mario Bros. are supposed to have large round noses. For someone like Rosalina, however, her nose is designed to look small without any visible nostrils.

rosalina_by_coconcrash.jpg

I think nostril definition and fingernails tend to be unnecessary additions to cartoon characters. They also tend to lessen their appeal for some reason.

Applying the anime style really isn't a surefire thing. Cartoon humans don't generally have terrible noses; in fact, large exaggerated noses are a common aspect of cartoons.

Dr. Mario said:
Cartoon humans don't generally have terrible noses; in fact, large exaggerated noses are a common aspect of cartoons.

Understandable for the male characters, but not so much for the females, unless they're designed to look ugly to begin with (such as Gruntilda, from the Banjo-Kazooie series, along with Koume and Kotake, from the The Legend of Zelda series).

Back