Worst gaming cliches

Eri Ayase said:
Not even with just video games.
Mario Party Σ said:
I think it's more awkward when there's a conversation with the silent protagonist.

Gawd, I hate the silent protagonist cliche. I know it's supposed to be "you", but it just doesn't work.
Like I said before, I totally like it. Maybe it's just because as a kid I would always imagine myself as, for example, Link doing all these quests and I just haven't lost that imagination.
Lyn said:
Final Bosses who are initially invincible and require plot to lose that invulnerability.
I actually kind of like this too, because it feels satisfying to kill something immortal.

Mario Party Σ said:
I think it's more awkward when there's a conversation with the silent protagonist.

Gawd, I hate the silent protagonist cliche. I know it's supposed to be "you", but it just doesn't work.

But at the same time when they try to make the characters talk it goes terribly (looking at YOU Other M)

supermariofan said:
Lyn said:
Final Bosses who are initially invincible and require plot to lose that invulnerability.
What games use that?

Forced loss battles? Literally pretty much all the Mario RPGs have one, not even counting the numerous times it appears in other rpgs

Sapphire said:
I actually kind of like this too, because it feels satisfying to kill something immortal.
There's a way to do this properly, though.

I would cite games but I don't want to spoil them slightly.

Lyn said:
Sapphire said:
There's a way to do this properly, though.

I would cite games but I don't want to spoil them slightly.

TTYD has it. If it's forced loss battle, Chapter 4, and if it's the "oh I can't defeat you until the plot says so but you just have to survive a few turns) the final boss has that too.

supermariofan said:
Lyn said:
What games use that?
While he's not a final boss, Mega Man X does this with Vile. Zero removes his invulnerability by blowing his ride armor up.

along with himself

The silent protagonist thing can work if the protagonist is a character you created, and who interacts with other people through multiple choice answers. So basically the western RPG approach.

It usually doesn't work with pre-made characters like Mario though. I am not able to project myself into a tiny overweight plumber who bounces off of walls, saves the same princess three times a week without getting even a little annoyed, and communicates in exclamations of "Yahoo!!!" and variations of that. There will always be a disconnect between me and the character, and I will always assume the role of a guiding observer, not that of Mario himself. So if they made him talk, I wouldn't care, because I've never projected my personality onto him in the first place.

Similar deal with Link, pretty much, though moreso in later Zeldas where the scenarios get more complex, and thus playing a silent potato becomes more and more jarring.

Ability Loss (Symphony of the Night, Kingdom Hearts, Star Fox Adventures): Having fun with your cool weapons and awesome powers? You do? Well it's a shame they get taken away later. Not so fun is it?

Yooka-Laylee said:
Mario Party Σ said:
Perhaps it's not a cliche, but I can't stand how game designers design women, especially those "armed" for combat.
THIS ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Tropes of women in gaming in general is awful all-around.

The vast majority of them are slender, attractive, and are scantily dressed. That's not diverse. It doesn't represent women at all.

I like Bayonetta, Alyx, Jade, and Samus tho.

Forced Tutorials are terrible in all means, they slow down the flow of the game and force the player to go through shit that they can easily figure out themselfs.

Also save points is another bad one, you can not force a player to travel all the way across the map to just so you save your game and quit playing, it's fucking bullshit and it should't even because games should have manual save or autosaving.

Forced grinding in any form is a terrible way of padding. I don't mind when it in some RPG's because it's done encourages you to fight enemies o then map and help gain experience buts some RPG's have it where even if you fight all the enemies, you still have to grind to beat certain bosses and which is stupid. But the worst form of grinding is where games force you buy for a particular item so you could advance the game. They often force you to buy ridiculously high prices to make sure you don't have enough money to buy it no matter what so you have to go back and save up money before you can progress. I hate it when games do this.

Peridot said:
The silent protagonist thing can work if the protagonist is a character you created, and who interacts with other people through multiple choice answers. So basically the western RPG approach.

It usually doesn't work with pre-made characters like Mario though. I am not able to project myself into a tiny overweight plumber who bounces off of walls, saves the same princess three times a week without getting even a little annoyed, and communicates in exclamations of "Yahoo!!!" and variations of that. There will always be a disconnect between me and the character, and I will always assume the role of a guiding observer, not that of Mario himself. So if they made him talk, I wouldn't care, because I've never projected my personality onto him in the first place.

Similar deal with Link, pretty much, though moreso in later Zeldas where the scenarios get more complex, and thus playing a silent potato becomes more and more jarring.
That's true too. I do agree that it's hard to relate to Mario or Link, so I think they should have their own personalities. Heck, I'm a female, they're male. I can't comprehend male psyche.

I played Spore, I'm not bothered that your creature doesn't talk (in text; their actual language is Simlish), even though they're pretty expressive (of course, if your mouth and eye parts are hidden, less so) and the responses you can make are pretty amusing ("Bigfatstupidlaliensayswhat?").

supermariofan said:
Ability Loss (Symphony of the Night, Kingdom Hearts, Star Fox Adventures): Having fun with your cool weapons and awesome powers? You do? Well it's a shame they get taken away later. Not so fun is it?

also in every metroid game and most final fantasy games (especially 6 with the magitek armor)

Eri Ayase said:
supermariofan said:

also in every metroid game and most final fantasy games (especially 6 with the magitek armor)

Technically Super Metroid doesn't do this.

Lyn said:
I like how they handle it in Fusion.

Yeah but technically it doesn't happen in-game there either. It happens due to the plot but the player never experiences these beforehand unless you've played a game before. So technically even though it's there the player isn't affected by it. However Super wins for me because nostalgia probably and you should play as soon as they put it on 3ds VC

its been in 3ds vc since 2011 though

:dk:

wait no i thought you meant fusion nvm

well technically theres snes emulators for 3ds if you do homebrew :yoshi:

rpg game starting character waking up

main male characters best friend is a future girlfriend

Stealth missions (Assassin's Creed): This kind of cliche can be forgiven if done right, if I'm trying to follow someone without making a scene that's fine, but when I'm trying to get to another point of a certain level just let me fucking kill someone!!!

that sounds more like game system complaint then a cliche

Tutorial Levels in games where you can fly where you have to go through rings

best example superman 64
also starfox 64
and harry potter 1&2
oh god i hated the broom missions in those games lol

Artificial lack of checkpoints to inflate level difficulty.

Back