Worst gaming cliches

How about last levels in video games where they throw everything but the kitchen sink in order to make "difficult" and "challenging" final levels?

Silent protagonists
Season passes
QTEs (beating a dead horse)
invincible heroes
regenning health
real is brown

and on and on and on...

Episodic games (Sonic 4, Conker's Big Reunion): Are you too fucking lazy to develop the whole entire game? Then release it episodically so you can make money quicker!

That reminds me: Pokemon versions. And event-only Pokemon.

Eri Ayase said:
Tutorial Levels in games where you can fly where you have to go through rings

best example superman 64
also starfox 64
and harry potter 1&2
oh god i hated the broom missions in those games lol

Amusingly if you lower the difficulty for superman 64 it turns the rings off.

Time limit (Nearly every single game ever made)- Time limits could work to some extent but not on levels where you're supposed to take your time.

prophecy stories

cutscene incompetence

Difficulty Spike (Kingdom Hearts, No More Heroes 2, Castlevania 1, 3, and Dracula X)- Now I like a good challenge in games, but some games take that just a little bit too far. Do you know how long it took me to defeat Maleficent in Kingdom Hearts? A year!!!

~Desert Levels - Especially in platformers if you're required to repeatedly jump out of quicksand.
~Cliffhanger Endings - Even worse when said cliffhanger is never resolved. (Sonic Chronicles)
~Knockback Damage
~Stealth segments in non-stealth games

Mario's world themes. Grass, Desert, Water, Forest, Ice, Mountain, Sky and Lava. Sometimes in that order.

Secret worlds that take place in outer space or another dimension.

Gimmick levels that have little to do with the rest of the game.

Back