Mario & Sonic at the Rio 2016 Olympic Games

Mister Wu said:
Swiftie_Luma said:
Rosalina apparently stuck in 1 outfit as of today , which is getting on my nerves. We get iit Nintedo , Rosalina now has a swimsuit Woopi Doo , now please tell me she plays other events aside from what looks like the most boring event in the game.
Tails can be seen in the Soccer event, the Equestrian event (in the box art) and in the Rhythmic Club (in-game footage) so there shouldn't be character restrictions in the Wii U version. You even see Bowser in the 100m Dash event in the introduction...

yeah but correct me if im wrong , all the newcomers are playing 1 specific event in the trailer as if they were like Rivals or sub-bosses. Others such as Cream don't even appear.

I saw Peach and Daisy playing volleyball and we know Daisy also does the Baton event and Peach was shown Playing in a Mario Team.

Those are Veterans , the newcomers however are stuck in 1 event in the trailer.

Swiftie_Luma said:
Mister Wu said:
Swiftie_Luma said:
Rosalina apparently stuck in 1 outfit as of today , which is getting on my nerves. We get iit Nintedo , Rosalina now has a swimsuit Woopi Doo , now please tell me she plays other events aside from what looks like the most boring event in the game.
Tails can be seen in the Soccer event, the Equestrian event (in the box art) and in the Rhythmic Club (in-game footage) so there shouldn't be character restrictions in the Wii U version. You even see Bowser in the 100m Dash event in the introduction...

yeah but correct me if im wrong , all the newcomers are playing 1 specific event in the trailer as if they were like Rivals or sub-bosses. Others such as Cream don't even appear.

I saw Peach and Daisy playing volleyball and we know Daisy also does the Baton event and Peach was shown Playing in a Mario Team.

Those are Veterans , the newcomers however are stuck in 1 event in the trailer.
Still better than Larry and Wendy: the former doesn't play at all, the second is stuck on a parade float...

Swiftie_Luma said:
you aren't even adressing the nature of my post , but ok.
I'm sorry that my point wasn't clear. Larry and Wendy are newcomers, who don't appear in any event in the trailer we saw. This reinforce the concept that the trailer is just to show some events (not even all, equestrian is still missing) and some newcomers. Even if the trailer doesn't show newcomers in more than one event, this doesn't automatically mean that the newcomers won't be playable in more than one event, especially considering that the veterans aren't restricted. We cannot jump to conclusions yet. Remember that the 3DS version of Mario & Sonic at the London 2012 Olympic Games had character restrictions for the playable characters while the Wii version didn't have them.

So i don't get 1 thing.

In the Wiki page , Birdo has been removed as a character yet Boom Boom and Toad are added?

What's the logic in that?

Toad hasn't even shown playing ANYTHING , meanwhile Boom Boom appears as a species in the in-game footage with more that one in the Rugby event.

The Red Birdo was a goalie in-game ; Yet the actual BIRDO is a goalie in the trailer , but she is still playing.

I don't agree with removing Birdo just yet and adding those 2 since there's nothing that supports they are fully playable as today , they are in the same boat as Birdo if we are being fair.

Edit:

This video spots DRY BOWSER flag so it means he is still playable ; It also spots TOAD'S so it confirms him as playable too

Swiftie_Luma said:
So i don't get 1 thing.

In the Wiki page , Birdo has been removed as a character yet Boom Boom and Toad are added?

What's the logic in that?

Toad hasn't even shown playing ANYTHING , meanwhile Boom Boom appears as a species in the in-game footage with more that one in the Rugby event.

The Red Birdo was a goalie in-game ; Yet the actual BIRDO is a goalie in the trailer , but she is still playing.

I don't agree with removing Birdo just yet and adding those 2 since there's nothing that supports they are fully playable as today , they are in the same boat as Birdo if we are being fair.
Red Birdo, Birdo, Boom Boom as a species and the egg Pawns are there, as supporting characters (i.e. playable but not selectable characters). Toad and Boom Boom appear with Team Mario in the trailer, among all playable characters that greet the public in the introductory night scene (Red Birdo cannot be seen, nor are Egg Pawns seen with Team Sonic, suggesting that supporting characters are not in those teams in this introductory scene). We make this distinction between playable characters and supporting characters in the wiki, and since the information we have from footage of Soccer and Rugby gameplay suggest us that we cannot choose the goalies and the rest of the team in the Rugby event, we have put those characters among the Supporting Characters.

I'll never understand why Lemmy, Iggy, and Morton got the cold shoulder. A generic Dry Bones made very little sense if you asked me, but I guess it was implemented because of its involvement in the past Olympic Game installments.

MnSG said:
I'll never understand why Lemmy, Iggy, and Morton got the cold shoulder. A generic Dry Bones made very little sense if you asked me, but I guess it was implemented because of its involvement in the past Olympic Game installments.

After Paper Jam and those three's pathetic boss battle, I'm convinced Nintendo hates those three.

MnSG said:
As surprising as this may sound, Dry Bones is so popular that merchandise based uniquely on him is sold in the UK Nintendo Store:
http://store.nintendo.co.uk/cool-stuff/characters/dry-bones.list
The Koopalings and Bowser Jr. don't have such merchandise yet.

And of course your point is the most likely reason why he was inserted.

Regarding Iggy, Morton and Lemmy, I really can't see the actual reasons, I can only point out that other teams on Sonic's side are incomplete in the 3DS version of Mario & Sonic at the Rio 2016 Olympic Games:

• Chaotix Detective Agency (Charmy Bee is not playable)
  • Babylon Rogues (Storm the Albatross is missing)
  • Deadly Six (only Zazz and Zavok are playable)

Oboro said:
After Paper Jam and those three's pathetic boss battle, I'm convinced Nintendo hates those three.

The same question can also be asked about the other Deadly Six members, but I'm probably guessing that Master Zik would be the odd one out if Team Mario didn't have an additional teammate.

Mister Wu said:
MnSG said:
As surprising as this may sound, Dry Bones is so popular that merchandise based uniquely on him is sold in the UK Nintendo Store:
http://store.nintendo.co.uk/cool-stuff/characters/dry-bones.list
The Koopalings and Bowser Jr. don't have such merchandise yet.
But Baby Mario and Baby Luigi get more merchandising than Dry Bones...

I'm not even interested in this game, but the boxart for the Wii U version is just too good-looking to not mention it:

MSRio2016_OlympicGames_boxart.png

LOL at Rosalina being on the boxart and not Luigi or Peach

Anser said:
I'm not even interested in this game, but the boxart for the Wii U version is just too good-looking to not mention it:
What I like is that Bowser seems to be half closing his eyes due to the shadows, generating an expression which is even cooler. Also Tails riding the horse is beautiful. And Yoshi in that pose defying gravity is terrific as well.
Anser said:
LOL at Rosalina being on the boxart and not Luigi or Peach
New super Mario Bros. NX will have Mario, Rosalina, Blue Toad and Yellow Toad as characters. And a New Rosalina NX DLC pack. Super Mario 3D World is just the beginning...

The cover is clearly not better than the 3DS one , or better than the past games.

That one looks like a bad phothoshop with everybody flying for no reason , it's awful.

so this is kinda off topic but it just occured to me that its pretty likely mario and sonic will be (possibly official) mascots at the 2020 olympic games in japan.

that and the inevitable game to go along with that is actually something to look forward to i guess

I know that I already mentioned how some characters are getting the cold shoulder, but what if they did somehow make it in. Their stat categories could go like the following...

All-Around
Mario
Luigi
Rosalina
Birdo
Dry Bones
Ludwig
Amy
Blaze
Rouge
Wave
Eggman Nega
Zor

Skill
Peach
Daisy
Waluigi
Toad
Larry
Wendy
Tails
Dr. Eggman
Silver
Cream
Sticks
Zeena

Speed
Yoshi
Diddy Kong
Bowser Jr.
Nabbit
Iggy
Lemmy
Sonic
Shadow
Metal Sonic
Espio
Jet
Zazz

Power
Wario
Donkey Kong
Bowser
Dry Bowser
Morton
Roy
Knuckles
Vector
E-123 Omega
Storm
Zomom
Zavok

Master Zik would be the odd one out, likely because of his old age. Of course, another question comes to mind when it comes to the sporting events that involve horses. How can the horses handle the weight of a heavy character, such as Zomom? Another question would be Zor's negative attitude, as he's never happy at all, which would mean that even if he wins an event, he'd still act like the event was very pointless.

Midna said:
so this is kinda off topic but it just occured to me that its pretty likely mario and sonic will be (possibly official) mascots at the 2020 olympic games in japan.

that and the inevitable game to go along with that is actually something to look forward to i guess
Sorta unlikely. Mascots are meant to represent the host city/country.
Other than that, Mario and Sonic would make a perfect sponsors for the 2020 Tokyo Olympics.

MnSG said:
I know that I already mentioned how some characters are getting the cold shoulder, but what if they did somehow make it in. Their stat categories could go like the following...

All-Around
Mario
Luigi
Rosalina
Birdo
Dry Bones
Ludwig
Amy
Blaze
Rouge
Wave
Eggman Nega
Zor

Skill
Peach
Daisy
Waluigi
Toad
Larry
Wendy
Tails
Dr. Eggman
Silver
Cream
Sticks
Zeena

Speed
Yoshi
Diddy Kong
Bowser Jr.
Nabbit
Iggy
Lemmy
Sonic
Shadow
Metal Sonic
Espio
Jet
Zazz

Power
Wario
Donkey Kong
Bowser
Dry Bowser
Morton
Roy
Knuckles
Vector
E-123 Omega
Storm
Zomom
Zavok

Master Zik would be the odd one out, likely because of his old age. Of course, another question comes to mind when it comes to the sporting events that involve horses. How can the horses handle the weight of a heavy character, such as Zomom? Another question would be Zor's negative attitude, as he's never happy at all, which would mean that even if he wins an event, he'd still act like the event was very pointless.
Actually, the stats of the 3DS version characters are known, and although there is no types in that version, it seems that...
Espio, Sticks, Zazz and Larry are all-around; Rouge, Dry Bones, Eggman Nega and Ludwig are skill type; Wave is speed type; Wendy is an all-roundish power type (!):

Mister Wu said:
Actually, the stats of the 3DS version characters are known, and although there is no types in that version, it seems that...
Espio, Sticks, Zazz and Larry are all-around; Rouge, Dry Bones, Eggman Nega and Ludwig are skill type; Wave is speed type; Wendy is an all-roundish power type (!):

Character stats seem very redundant in the 3DS version when the characters can only be used in specific events. I mean, what's the point of giving someone a high power stat if he or she can't even participate in any of the power-oriented events!?

MnSG said:
Character stats seem very redundant in the 3DS version when the characters can only be used in specific events. I mean, what's the point of giving someone a high power stat if he or she can't even participate in any of the power-oriented events!?
I think it is to vary the gameplay a little, as Donkey Kong in the boxing event is much different from Sonic, as an example. I strongly suspect, however, that these stats will be reused in the Wii U version, where they should make more sense.

Mister Wu said:
I think it is to vary the gameplay a little, as Donkey Kong in the boxing event is much different from Sonic, as an example. I strongly suspect, however, that these stats will be reused in the Wii U version, where they should make more sense.

That's probably the only reason, since Mario and Sonic are the only characters who can participate in any event in the 3DS version.

What does tend to baffle me is why Espio isn't treated as a speedy character. He runs quite fast in Sonic Heroes after all.

Also, seeing Wendy with an above average power rating seems odd too, because last I've checked, she doesn't have the brute strength that Roy has, nor is she bulky like Morton. Then again, we have Zazz, where despite of his lanky appearance, he's able to lift a giant moon with very little effort (as evidenced in Sonic Lost World).

i don't think they'll reuse stats.

The previous game don't even have matching stats between versions , and the DS Winter games had 2 more stats which are jumping and technique.

infinite8 said:
Here's "part of" the cinematic opening for the Wii U version.

EDIT: I think this is not the full intro yet, just like the first trailer for London 2012. We'll wait for the next trailer showing the full intro.
*Takes a very long deep breath.* <very fast> WILL THIS MEAN WE GET TO SEE ROSALINA IN A FRICKING SPORTS OUTFIT LIKE PEACH AND DAISY'S IN THE TRAILER FOR THE FIRST FRICKING TIME?!?!?!? *faints.*

Back