Mario & Sonic at the Rio 2016 Olympic Games

Well, at least Toads and Pom Pom, along with the Chaos and some kind of silver Egg Pawn, are playable:
One event only but it's not like the other characters aren't restricted either (with the exception of Mario, Sonic and Miis)...

P.S.: it's actually the Japanese characters' page that revealed that characters are restricted to certain events, so there is actually an official source.

Threek said:
Dr. Mario said:
then it's only fair that the Eggman fans get it too. : D

but i don't want it
You're not a true Eggman fan.

Threek said:
One event only but it's not like the other characters aren't restricted either (with the exception of Mario, Sonic and Miis)...
Speaking of Miis, are you forced to use Miis in Story mode or what? Because the story is you choose between Team Mario and Team Furry.

800px-M%26SR2016OGFinalRoster.PNG

Why are they still using GCN renders? Does it cost them too much to get a model, pose it, put lighting, enable render effects, and then take several minutes to fully render?

Dr. Mario said:

Why are they still using GCN renders? Does it cost them too much to get a model, pose it, put lighting, enable render effects, and then take several minutes to fully render?

Well at least I think Daisy render is a new one.

Mister Wu said:
Speaking of new renders...
extra_chara01.png

Quick! Let's calculate Bowser Jr.'s real life height from this image!

Using a head-to-toe measurement (and not counting his ponytail), he's slightly shorter than the horse. Since the average showriding horse is about 64 inches, I'd say he's...maybe 62, 63 inches-ish.

jr's head looks very.....weird in that artwork.

Mcmadness said:
jr's head looks very.....weird in that artwork.
Well, he's even more kiddish this time, also because I don't think Peach, which should be as tall as Bowser Jr. since SMG, is that short (the horse should be an Haflinger, with height at withers of around 150cm)!

Cirdec said:
Dr. Mario said:

Well at least I think Daisy render is a new one.
She looks out of place in recycled artwork, recycled artwork everywhere.

And it sucks because Sawnic has new artworks (I think)

Mister Wu said:
Speaking of new renders...
extra_chara01.png

Quick! Let's calculate Bowser Jr.'s real life height from this image!
You can't be sure how tall the horse is actually. It could be a young horse too.

A pony probably.

You wanted it...
It seems that those are regular obstacles, whose height should be equal or less than 160 cm (two obstacles must have an height of 160 cm: http://www.fei.org/sites/default/files/Jump_CHs%2BGames_Rules_25thEd_modifs-2016_approved_2015GA_mark-up.pdf). So I don't know if it really is a pony (one 1.47 m tall pony actually raced in the Olympics, anyway: http://www.rio2016.com/en/equestrian-jumping).

Side note 1: look at the horse having the same mane's and tail's color as Larry's main color, complete with blue eyes!
Side note 2: is it just me or the Mario Kart 8 voice clips have been recycled again?

not surprised, Mario vs Sonic games tend to recycle voice clips

http://nintendoeverything.com/mario-sonic-at-the-rio-2016-olympic-games-for-3ds-out-in-north-america-on-march-18/

And also confirmed that the Wii U version will be released later this year.

Double post.

Now that the 3DS version was released in Japan, here's the default roster:
aMDm8i2.jpg

And from other gameplay footages (besides GameXplain and NintenDaan), here are the 2 out of 20 newcomers' stats:
AZUB8Bw.jpg

She's "Power" type.

8nK48sH.jpg

"Speed" type, duh.

The story mode for this game since a bit short compared to the one in the Winter games , but at least there's some more to do rather than play with restrictions like in the London 3DS one.

Then again i'm very displeased with Rosalina and her terrible voice acting .

It should have been like this (Made by me , not official and not my footage):

When the 3DS mods become more accesible like the DS ones , i'll be the first one to correct that terrible mistake.

Now that's... odd...

Nabbit for the first time talks in this game

BUT

Mario and Luigi don't talk and Toad talks on their behalf instead!

Oh, the Koopalings talk too, and Larry even gets dizzy after spinning like in Paper Jam:

I think that what is being done to Mario and Luigi is strange to say the least, but at least I find it very nice that Paper Jam doesn't seem to be an isolated case and recurring characters like Nabbit and the Koopalings are starting to have more personality.

And. Bowser. Talks.

infinite8 said:
Mister Wu said:
Also Diddy Kong's trademark hat doesn't have a Nintendo logo on it.
Odd.
This is interesting, maybe since it was SEGA that developed the game...

anyway, footage and information from the arcade version is here (in Japanese!):
http://www.olympicvideogames.com/mario_sonic_ac/

Here's "part of" the cinematic opening for the Wii U version.

EDIT: I think this is not the full intro yet, just like the first trailer for London 2012. We'll wait for the next trailer showing the full intro.

Love the prerendered CGI, Mario games in general should make more of these

The trailer is very confusing.

At first i wanted to believe they were showcasing the Newcomers more.

Then again , i noticed THE TOAD and Boom Boom in the platform along the other competitors

Rosalina apparently stuck in 1 outfit as of today , which is getting on my nerves. We get it Nintendo , Rosalina now has a swimsuit Woopi Doo , now please tell me she plays other events aside from what looks like the most boring event in the game.

The lack of Roy Koopa.

The lack of Cream.

Toad included in many parts yet he isn't even in gameplay as of today , not even in the trailer itself he plays something.

It's very confusing, However IIRC Bill said before the trailer was showed that it was just ''part of it'' so i guess there's more?

Swiftie_Luma said:
Rosalina apparently stuck in 1 outfit as of today , which is getting on my nerves. We get iit Nintedo , Rosalina now has a swimsuit Woopi Doo , now please tell me she plays other events aside from what looks like the most boring event in the game.
Tails can be seen in the Soccer event, the Equestrian event (in the box art) and in the Rhythmic Club (in-game footage) so there shouldn't be character restrictions in the Wii U version. You even see Bowser in the 100m Dash event in the introduction...

Back