post any random Mario thought on your mind

I was thinking more like what happens in the Red Coin Field when you get 100 coins. It counts as part of Delfino Plaza, meaning you can get the hundreth coin there. In the Japanese version, the game crashes; however, in other versions it was patched to actually spawn a Shine Sprite. Since the Red Coin Field counts as part of Delfino Plaza, the 100 coin shine is actually the one in Delfino Plaza.

Something similar happens in Delfino Airstrip. Unlike the Red Coin Field, this works in all versions of the game. Get 100 coins there, and a Shine Sprite appears. However, like the Red Coin Field, that is actually the 100 coin shine for Delfino Plaza.

However, Corona Mountain is a main level in the game. It’s not a bonus area like the Red Coin Field, and it’s not a tutorial level like Delfino Airstrip. But there is only one Shine there. Instead of giving Corona Mountain its own Shine counter like the other levels, that one Shine in Corona Mountain is counted by the game as a Delfino Plaza shine. This may mean that the game considers Corona Mountain part of Delfino Plaza. So it would spawn the plaza's 100 coin shine.

However, that’s not the case. The developers obviously had no intention for the player to get 100 coins in that level. Because of this, the game may try to spawn a Shine, but it will crash because there’s no spawn point in Corona Mountain.
If you chose not to read the above, I basically said that in theory, Super Mario Sunshine would crash if 100 coins were collected in Corona Mountain.

i don't know. all games have different rules. the rules for spawning a shine sprite could be universally applied so it always happens when you get 100 coins, even if there is no actual event in the game so a crash or be scripted for specifically some levels, so the game ignores you when you get 100 coins unless there is an event.

DDR Mario Mix is still one of the dumbest Mario stories I've ever seen in my life.

And I kinda love it.

bowser stole the music keys because he was tone deaf

see that's the type of stories i love in my mario games. especially mario spin-off titles like mario party.

And Waluigi stole them because it will make everybody hapless with music and be so amazed by his dancing moves that he'll conquer the world.

How the fuck does that work?

You know, it's occured to me that in many ways Kamek could be called a villainous Merlin to Bowser's villainous King Arthur. Of course, continuing from that the Koopalings after the retcon could be called a villanous Knights of the Round Table.

Qayin said:
You know, it's occured to me that in many ways Kamek could be called a villainous Merlin to Bowser's villainous King Arthur. Of course, continuing from that the Koopalings after the retcon could be called a villanous Knights of the Round Table.
At first I thought you were talking about Merlon.

Princess Mario said:
I really dig the alternate outfits Mario can wear, and his hat and body clothes don't even have to match. I kinda hope there is a dress option for Mario as a joke because idk, I'm weird like that.
I said this waayyy before I realized that was an actual option

I'm still very delighted my wish, my far-fetched wish, came true

I am suffering from this big split as to whether to get Mario Sunshine or Mario Galaxy. On the one hand, Mario Galaxy 2 was fantastic and I'd love to get the original (everyone who posted on a thread I made unanimously agrees that I should get it). On the other hand, I want something new and different, and Sunshine is going to give me the difficulty I long for in a Mario game (that’s not mentioning Lost Levels, which is also on my wishlist). I know most people criticize Sunshine for FLUDD, but it looks like a nice addition to me. I've watched YouTube videos of both and they both look fantastic.

I've looked into Mario 64 DS as well, and while it looks like a fine game, I was never quite sold on it to the extent of Mario Sunshine and Galaxy. And the original N64 version is out of the question.

So which one should I get: 64 DS, Sunshine, or Galaxy?

Between Sunshine and Galaxy, I enjoyed Galaxy more. Sunshine is definitely a good game, but it has more filler and more frustrating levels. It is more difficult than Galaxy though. I consider Galaxy to be the better game, but I think you should play both eventually. Which one to get first really depends on whether you want more of SMG2's gameplay that's potentially even better than SMG2 or you want to try something different. I haven't played 64 DS so I can't help you there.

Galaxy also has its share of filler (post-game is ridiculous, being play the entire game again as Luigi) and very frustrating levels (garbage cleaning anyone?), just a heads up.

i love 64 ds to death

All I can say is that, if you do play Sunshine, you're probably better off not getting 100% and just reaching the normal ending. You can cut out a good chunk of the frustration if you do that.

https://www.reddit.com/r/papermario/comments/56mwj3/isnt_the_sticker_stars_universe_established_since/

This post makes an interesing point in that it notes details suggesting that the world we see in SPM is more line with the PMs from Sticker Star onward (no signs of Kammy, all koopas work for Bowser with the Koopatrols just koopas under Bleck's control, a world where nobody can moves in a 3rd dimension).

Qayin said:
https://www.reddit.com/r/papermario/comments/56mwj3/isnt_the_sticker_stars_universe_established_since/

This post makes an interesing point in that it notes details suggesting that the world we see in SPM is more line with the PMs from Sticker Star onward (no signs of Kammy, all koopas work for Bowser with the Koopatrols just koopas under Bleck's control, a world where nobody can moves in a 3rd dimension).
Well, 99% of Super Paper Mario takes place in another dimension, so the only part that really holds water is Kammy being missing.
Even the whole "2 Dimension" thing is more likely just related to Flipside and its related areas considering that it barely gets any focus outside of World 1 (Not to mention, characters only moving in 2 dimensions was never really a thing in later Paper Marios, they were just more self-aware of the world being made of paper).
Also, Mario's House looked the same way it did in previous games (whereas Color Splash redesigned it).
SPM_Marioshouse.png

The existence of Koopatrols alone puts it more in line with what came before than what came after. Kammy should've made some sort of appearance I agree, but if it was only going to be for that small intro cutscene I can understand not wanting to waste her character on just standing there with no lines for the whole scene. I don't think she had been entirely retconned yet, given how heavy the previous games and their versions of the Mario world were referenced in both the small glimpses we see of the Mushroom Kingdom's design, and in Fort Francis with even the likes of Tubba Blubba and Grodus having TV shows and whatnot. They just didn't have a good place to put Kammy with Bowser being fully playable. I think a good place to reference Kammy in SPM would've been as the final Catch Card in place of Toad. Would even make sense to have a card of Twink as well, maybe even Luigi's partners from TTYD, so all 4 playable characters in SPM could have their past partners in there.

ThatGuy62 said:
Even the whole "2 Dimension" thing is more likely just related to Flipside and its related areas considering that it barely gets any focus outside of World 1 (Not to mention, characters only moving in 2 dimensions was never really a thing in later Paper Marios, they were just more self-aware of the world being made of paper).

The point is that SPM started the habit of PM games more or less revolving their worlds around the game's gimmick.

Fawfulthegreat64 said:
The existence of Koopatrols alone puts it more in line with what came before than what came after.
They were Bleck's minions though.

Qayin said:
The point is that SPM started the habit of PM games more or less revolving their worlds around the game's gimmick.
That doesn't have much to do with the game's world being more in-line with Sticker Star and Color Splash. Especially since, again, it only comes up once or twice at the beginning whereas SS and CS were self-aware throughout.

They were Bleck's minions though.
They were more than likely Bowser's minions brainwashed by Bleck, like the rest of the Troop. I don't remember if Bleck even had actual forces outside of the Koopa Troop and other potential brainwashed enemies.

They were definitely brainwashed minions.

And apart from maybe those monsters hanging around the castle itself, Bleck had no real army of his own.

I imagine the Magiblots and Mega Muths, and other enemies original to Super Paper Mario were never Bowser's minions. Whether they were in Castle Bleck under their own free will or not is another thing.

Back