post any random Mario thought on your mind

Super Mario Land 2 needs more love

MnSG said:
Baby Luigi said:
it wasn't random, if you pressed a certain shoulder button before the animal crossing track, you get a certain season. the button layout corresponds with the seasons on screen ex: ZR is Winter.

Technically, it IS random for Grand Prix and online races. You can only choose the season in offline VS Race mode, since the season is fixed in Time Trials.

no wonder why i never knew that, i never played both of those modes

Super Mario Maker is an amazing game and it's so fun to make levels and watch streamers play them blind. Sometimes I'll make bullshit troll levels to see the reactions to each new troll after progress :D

I try not to make run-of-the-mill troll levels though (like tons of Lakitus above and stacked Bowsers). I only have one level like that and it's a parody titled "GOOD LEVEL DESIGN"

Speaking of SMM, I hope a future 2D/3D Mario, Paper Mario, or Mario & Luigi game has a triple-stacked Bowser boss as a reference to it. Story-wise they could say Bowser used two Double Cherries.

Today, I went to a bar/restaurant/arcade called Pints and Pixels. It had all the classic arcade games, including Donkey Kong and Mario Bros. Supposedly, it also had Vs. Super Mario Bros., but it was being rotated with Vs. Duck Hunt, so it wasn't there. I played Donkey Kong, Mario Bros., Q*bert, Frogger, Galaga, Pac-Man, Ms. Pac-Man, and Tetris. While I am not old enough to order alcohol, my older brother ordered a drink called Mario's Power-up, which purportedly consisted of rum with cranberry and raspberry. Other drinks included Luigi's Liquid Green, Peach's Cosmopolitan, and Donkey Kong's Banana Barrel. It was cool.

Luigi 64DD said:
While I am not old enough to order alcohol, my older brother ordered a drink called Mario's Power-up, which purportedly consisted of rum with cranberry and raspberry. Other drinks included Luigi's Liquid Green, Peach's Cosmopolitan, and Donkey Kong's Banana Barrel. It was cool.

i want to try those out

not sure if i'll like it in the same way i like hard soda though

I found these on the Mario Kart 8 page on TV Tropes, and I felt like posting them.

[quote author=Mario Kart 8/YMMW]
Americans Hate Tingle: Metal Mario, Pink Gold Peach and the baby characters have a pretty big fanbase in Japan, while overseas, they're by and large seen as uninspired clones that steal slots from more deserving characters

Base-Breaking Character: Morton. Thanks to the way weight and acceleration classes interact with one another, Morton is often considered the best character in the game with the right kart set up, often running circles around the competition. While some don't mind, especially with how unnotable the Koopa Kids tend to be from one another in games they show up in, others despise Morton because of it, often citing him as 8's version of Funky Kong.

Memetic Mutation: Morton Kart 8", often referring to how Morton has become 8's version of the infamous "Funky Bike Wii" meme in regards to Funky Kong being the most picked character in Mario Kart Wii.
[/quote]

I actually see Wario quite often online.

Pink_Gold_Peach said:
I found these on the Mario Kart 8 page on TV Tropes, and I felt like posting them.

[quote author=Mario Kart 8/YMMW]
Americans Hate Tingle: Metal Mario, Pink Gold Peach and the baby characters have a pretty big fanbase in Japan, while overseas, they're by and large seen as uninspired clones that steal slots from more deserving characters

Base-Breaking Character: Morton. Thanks to the way weight and acceleration classes interact with one another, Morton is often considered the best character in the game with the right kart set up, often running circles around the competition. While some don't mind, especially with how unnotable the Koopa Kids tend to be from one another in games they show up in, others despise Morton because of it, often citing him as 8's version of Funky Kong.

Memetic Mutation: Morton Kart 8", often referring to how Morton has become 8's version of the infamous "Funky Bike Wii" meme in regards to Funky Kong being the most picked character in Mario Kart Wii.

I actually see Wario quite often online.
[/quote]

Unless Morton has a smaller hitbox than other heavyweights, he is completely the same, so there is not one character clearly above everyone else in Mario Kart 8, unlike Funky Kong who had the best speed.

Seeing as Bowser, Wario, Morton, and Dry Bowser have the exact same stats in Mario Kart 8, it's completely stupid to claim that Morton is the best character when you can have the exact same kind of success with the other three fastest characters. And it should also be noted that all four of those characters have the same body frame size.

My theory is that Morton is the most popular of the fastest heavyweights, hence why he's claimed by TV Tropes to be used so often. I also found this:

[quote author=Video Games / Americans Hate Tingle]
Trope Namer: The hate of Tingle has also carried over into the Super Smash Bros. games:

Tingle has a cameo in Melee, in which it is quite possible to drop him into the ocean. It is not uncommon for players to declare a brief truce for this purpose.

Sakurai himself has openly acknowledged the American fanbase's hatred for him as a reason why he won't be a playable character.

Super Mario Bros.:
Waluigi. In America, Waluigi is a Base-Breaking Character who pends between Scrappy and Darkhorse often. In Japan, he is more generally liked, to the point that some Japanese gamers were upset about Waluigi's disappearance in Mario Kart 7 (though this isn't unique as his Western fans were similarly upset).

Metal Mario. Americans think he's a worthless and unoriginal Mario clone, while Japanese players love giving him Alternative Character Interpretation, playing as him in Mario Kart 7 and Mario Kart 8, and treating him as The Rival to Mario. It's also the case in Mario Kart 8 with Pink Gold Peach (a completely new addition that left a lot of American and European players dumbfounded).

Paper Mario: Sticker Star is the best-selling game in the Paper Mario series in Japan and is very popular over there. Now ask the American Paper Mario fanbase about it....or better yet, don't.
[/quote]

wait, people use morton more than dry bowser?

also, can someone explain to me why weight in mk8 is overpowered? i hear people saying it all the time but never get an explanation as to why.

Nyrie said:
wait, people use morton more than dry bowser?

also, can someone explain to me why weight in mk8 is overpowered? i hear people saying it all the time but never get an explanation as to why.

Not everyone bought Mario Kart 8's DLC.

As for the weight ordeal, heavier weight makes the vehicle less likely to get pushed around. However, high weight is typically offset by low acceleration, as the heaviest possible combos also have the worst acceleration stats.

MnSG said:
As for the weight ordeal, heavier weight makes the vehicle less likely to get pushed around. However, high weight is typically offset by low acceleration, as the heaviest possible combos also have the worst acceleration stats.
okay, so how is this overpowered? weight seems like a lot less useful stat than acceleration.

Nyrie said:
okay, so how is this overpowered? weight seems like a lot less useful stat than acceleration.

While it's true that weight has little use when you're all alone, it does have benefits in a crowd in that you can mess up the other racers by pushing them off-road or even into an abyss.

Cirdec said:
Weight true benefit is it comes with high speed.

Yeah I forgot to mention that high weight combos also tend to have high speed statistics as well. However, the heaviest combos can't have more than 5/6 ground speed, while the fastest ground speed combos can't go heavier than 5.25/6 weight.

I am trying to learn how to tas on Mario Party, and I discovered the outcome of a dice block is not determined when you hit the block, but far before (possibly at the beginning of the turn, I have to do more testing), more precisely at that moment, it choose a random vector of length 4 with each component beetween 1 and 10 and the results will be the outcome of the dice block no matter what input you press during the turn.

That's a shock to learn the actual truth, when I was a kid I always thought you could change the number of the dice block depending of the time you hit the block.

Save states taught me that so.......

Sorry for being late. First of all, while bumps are definitely important, weight doesn't seem to be the most important stat of MK8, speed seems to be, since the speed is the same as MK7 but the course models are way larger (apparently up to three time larger), hence making acceleration much less relevant - you very often drive at full speed.

Now, every time you "go up on a weight class" in the characters, you lose 1 point of acceleration - hardly relevant since with Morton/Bowser/Dry Bowser/Wario/Mii you can still reach tier 4 acceleration -, 1 point of traction - a bit more important, but only in some tracks -, 1 point of Mini-Turbo - interesting, but not enough to be a deal-breaker - and 2 points of handling - completely pointless in 150cc for the reasons stated above about the course models' size. What you gain is 2 points of weight, but also 2 points of speed, making the maximum weight characters the most powerful.

From what I read in the competitive community forum, the reason Morton is chosen more than Bowser and Dry Bowser has to do with the character's size - his shell occupies less screen real estate and allows to see some parts of the tracks that are otherwise covered by Bowser's and Dry Bowser's big shells. Of course, it's more difficult to get the floating coins with him, but this doesn't seem to be a big problem.
Now, also Wario and the big Miis have this "property", so it would be interesting to know if there is actually a preference for Morton and if there is, why does it exist.

I think it's an aesthetic bonus. Morton is a brand new character to Mario Kart whereas Bowser and Wario have been there seemingly forever.

From what I've seen online when playing, Streetle/Blue Falcon paired with Slick tires and a non-stat boosting glider is quite popular, even among middleweights.

Magikrazy said:
I think it's an aesthetic bonus. Morton is a brand new character to Mario Kart whereas Bowser and Wario have been there seemingly forever.

Yeah but it's Bowser, the greatest thing since......ever!

Pink_Gold_Peach said:
From what I've seen online when playing, Streetle/Blue Falcon paired with Slick tires and a non-stat boosting glider is quite popular, even among middleweights.

I still remember those times where I like to beat those Slick tire abusing combos with my favorite vehicle combo.

The video below is simply one of my old online races, where I was able to get past a Morton + Blue Falcon + Cyber Slick user after an incident that begins at around 0:27.

Rosalina + Biddybuggy + Azure Roller: 1
Morton + Blue Falcon + Cyber Slick: 0

Back