post any random Mario thought on your mind

LeftyGreenMario said:
I don't get why people praise the N64 Mario Parties up the butt compared to Mario Party GCN games

I don't get why people praise Mario Parties.

No that's a lie I completely get it

Luigi 64DD said:
LeftyGreenMario said:
I find it worse, and I don't get why people praise the N64 Mario Parties up the butt compared to Mario Party GCN games, which I think are superior to the N64 games. N64 games are riddled with memorization and that kind of crap, and they don't even have that much minigames to boot. Their minigames aren't that special as people think they are. They're solid entries, but they aren't much better than the GCN ones. One thing I do like about the N64 ones are the minigame instruction screen where you're allowed to perform those moves before the minigame starts, but that's not a huge loss. Anyhow, the minigame selection screens in those Mario Parties also feel weird.
That's part of the trouble with comparing Pre-GCN games to Post-N64 games in general. There's either gonna be nostalgia or just that retro feeling that gives Pre-GCN games an automatic boost. For example, Mario Kart 64 has some good tracks, but it has bad graphics and questionable controls. Even though the later games improved upon it in pretty much every way, I still find myself wanting to put it high on the Mario Kart list sometimes. It's just harder to compare Pre-GCN games to newer ones because of the retro feeling and you feel like you're "disrespecting" the old games if you put them lower than the newer ones. (Of course, part of that comes from the fact that a lot of Pre-GCN games are better than certain newer ones.)

Unlike you however, I find myself having absolutely no reason to go back to the messy, sloppy crap that is Mario Kart 64.

4 introduced team battle, and also proper Bowser minigames instead of things like "Bowser's Face Lift". This was also the final Mario Party to feature hidden blocks with stars.

5 has Super Duel Mode, Bonus Mode and quite a few ways to play minigames (Minigame Circuit, Minigame Battle, etc).

6 has Speak Up and the day-and-night mechanic used extensively throughout the game.

7 has 8-player mode, Bowser Time and more minigames than any other Mario Party. It also removed Chance Time completely, and added three more bonus stars.

Can't believe you completely forgot about orbs/capsules.

Those were awesome to use.

Meh , i still love me some MP3

The other day played 2 again on the N64 and it was amazing , i'm very good at those games.

My favorite is the Bowser map for sure , gotta love the Parade and it's random cancelations.

This is some serious stuff

And in this one i would always pick Boo , no matter what.

Baby Luigi said:
Unlike you however, I find myself having absolutely no reason to go back to the messy, sloppy crap that is Mario Kart 64.
Keep in mind that some of its issues (like the empty enviroments) were probably due to technical limitations.

Well, Beetle Adventure Racing and Diddy Kong Racing had better environments and they were on the same console.

I will say that the first Mario Party was the most unfair, especially when you have to play the Control Stick rotation minigames. There's a reason why those kinds of minigames never returned in the sequels.

Ironically, in Super Mario 64, you do have to rotate the Control Stick, but only when trying to throw Bowser at one of the bombs.

Well, another reason it's not so bad is that you're not competing against other people who want to out-pace you. It's a reason Tug-o-War is extremely notorious.

Baby Luigi said:
Well, another reason it's not so bad is that you're not competing against other people who want to out-pace you. It's a reason Tug-o-War is extremely notorious.

Tug-o-War is pretty much the worst Mario Party minigame ever! Even when facing the easiest CPUs, you're very much going to lose.

I think Bash 'n' Cash is the second worst minigame in Mario Party 1. If you are the solo player, pretty much say goodbye to the minigame star.

Grunty Industries said:
I think Bash 'n' Cash is the second worst minigame in Mario Party 1. If you are the solo player, pretty much say goodbye to the minigame star.

But it feels so good when you're not the solo player.

Bash 'n' Cash "heavily" favors the team of three. If you're that solo player who's wearing the Bowser Suit, you might as well start crying for mercy, because you're pretty much guaranteed to get clobbered.

MnSG said:
Bash 'n' Cash "heavily" favors the team of three. If you're that solo player who's wearing the Bowser Suit, you might as well start crying for mercy, because you're pretty much guaranteed to get clobbered.

Even if you don't get clobbered at all in Bowser's version, he still steals 15 coins from you for no reason.

Grunty Industries said:
Even if you don't get clobbered at all in Bowser's version, he still steals 15 coins from you for no reason.

That's definitely a **** moment when you do everything right, and yet Bowser "still" punishes you. At least in Mario Party 7, surviving Bowser's minigames will keep him from stealing your coins or stars.

Here are also some other things Bowser can do in Mario Party 1:

He will give you 20 coins if you land on a Bowser Space with no coins or stars. If you have a star but no coins, he will give you 10 coins in exchange for that star.

If a tie happens in Bowser's Balloon Burst or Tug o War, everyone has to pay coins.

If everyone gets 90 points or higher in Bowser's Face Lift, Bowser will still steal coins from the player who landed on his space.

Source

Also, if you get Bowser through a hidden block and you do not have any coins, Bowser will give you 1 coin.

Source (at 2:39)

MnSG said:
There's a reason why those kinds of minigames never returned in the sequels.

Vicious Vending from Mario Party 5? Sure, you rotate the stick once, but the outcome is decided by pure chance.

Bash n' Cash is supposed to be meant as a punishment minigame and I'm glad as hell that minigames like it never returned in later Mario Party installments

Remember that Crane Game thing in the first two Mario Parties?

Whoever designed that needs to contemplate on his life.

Swiftie_Luma said:
Bash n Cash is the definition of bullying in the form of a Mario Party game.

And you often wonder why Melee has the Bully bonus. It's even more ridiculous when you only have one opponent, and yet you're still penalized with the Predator, Stalker, and Bully bonuses. Does the game want you to attack your own teammates or something?!

Melee's "Bully" bonus is a great honor to have, I'm sorry. I get Stalker sometimes, but I strive to get Bully. I think that actually happened one time where it was 17 minutes, Giant Melee, and 2.0 ratio, and my sister and I were against Ganondorf and Donkey Kong. I killed only Ganondorf.

And those bonuses ultimately don't matter if it's three against one. It's kinda equalizing because the single guy is put at an extremely heavy disadvantage unless friendly fire is turned on.

MnSG said:
And you often wonder why Melee has the Bully bonus. It's even more ridiculous when you only have one opponent, and yet you're still penalized with the Predator, Stalker, and Bully bonuses. Does the game want you to attack your own teammates or something?!

I can see it work slightly in the solo players favor in a 2 vs 1 Bonus match situation, but not much else.

Also, there are three Mario Party minigames I've never been able to win:

Aces High from 3

Bob-Omb Breakers from 4

Treacherous Tightrope from 8.

Not even against the Easy computers?

Back