Nintendo Switch

1 2 Switch GOTY 2017

• Yes

Votes: 13 39.4%
  • Yes

Votes: 20 60.6%

• Total voters
The Pro Controller has a D-Pad, the buttons are just for the two-player take anywhere gimmick.

Well I better get a pro controller.

SuperDoom said:
As long as this thing is backwards compatible with the Wii U, I have no complaints.
It takes cartridges so I very highly doubt it. If it was backwards compatible they also wouldn't need to port MK8, Splatoon and Zelda. It also doesn't look like it has a touchscreen since the small screen can't be used at the same time as the TV.

SuperDoom said:
Hououin Kyouma said:
9bee04044c17409ab0101bea1d966434.jpg

hm.

I'm not really sure how to think about the lack of a dpad

else i guess they fixed some things people disliked about the wii u controllers as for example better button placement and asymmetrical sticks

looks better than expected though.
IZ BRUTIFUL

The D-pad has been replaced with an N64 C-stick. As long as this thing is backwards compatible with the Wii U, I have no complaints.
It's more like C-Buttons and in case you haven't noticed, the Switch is not backwards compatible with the Wii U or 3DS.

Maria Renard said:
SuperDoom said:
Hououin Kyouma said:
9bee04044c17409ab0101bea1d966434.jpg

hm.

I'm not really sure how to think about the lack of a dpad

else i guess they fixed some things people disliked about the wii u controllers as for example better button placement and asymmetrical sticks

looks better than expected though.
IZ BRUTIFUL

The D-pad has been replaced with an N64 C-stick. As long as this thing is backwards compatible with the Wii U, I have no complaints.
It's more like C-Buttons and in case you haven't noticed, the Switch is not backwards compatible with the Wii U or 3DS.
I'm keeping both, then.

i'd imagine that there's some way to read stuff from your wii u and download game data you have on it onto the switch
at least i hope so, not being backwards compatible at all would be shitty

Or they might just have downloadable NX ports of Wii U games provided free of charge that owned the Wii U originals. That would work really well. They should work on remastering the GCN and Wii Mario games like Sunshine and the Galaxy duology for the NX. It is nice to preserve those games for the newer generations to come much like how we have the ancient NES, SNES and N64 games on the Virtual Console with tons of other retro systems excluding the PlayStation 1 and 2 which can be found on the PS3 and PS4.

While backwards capabilities would be nice, it is not a game changer for me. Mostly because I own a Wii not a Wii U. I say the those who change from the Wii U to the Switch might try to get rid of the Wii U somehow for full price or something then buy the Switch. The switch from Wii to Switch will be very easy to do, especially since it has more to offer more than what the Wii U offered different from the Wii.

So the Switch is conformed to have Unreal Engine 4, a popular and powerful game engine that many games use. This possibly means that big games like the Final Fantasy 7 remake and Tekken 7 could come to Switch. Nothing confirmed from any third parties yet, but the possiblitiy for this to have some good third party support, as well as being portable makes me hopeful that Nintendo will be back at it again.

remember when the wii u had great third party support and then it all died when no one bothered buying it

Whaddya mean "great third party support"?

Ninelevendo said:
So the Switch is conformed to have Unreal Engine 4, a popular and powerful game engine that many games use. This possibly means that big games like the Final Fantasy 7 remake and Tekken 7 could come to Switch. Nothing confirmed from any third parties yet, but the possiblitiy for this to have some good third party support, as well as being portable makes me hopeful that Nintendo will be back at it again.
Hm, yeah, Epic Games Inc. is one of their partners.

I now imagine the Mario in Unreal 4 engine being reality. Heh. I can dream, no?

Wow, leave it to me to somehow completely miss the dedicated thread to this thing and post somewhere else entirely.

Anyway, as I said in the Nintendo news thread: I am cautiously upbeat about this new Switch thing.

Mari Ohara said:
i'd imagine that there's some way to read stuff from your wii u and download game data you have on it onto the switch
at least i hope so, not being backwards compatible at all would be shitty
i hope they port over the eShop catalogue entirely for both systems for psuedo-backwards compatibilty and allow you to do this as well. Having the digital versions of most Wii U and 3DS games available at launch would be a huge selling point for those who didnt jump into one or the other.

Furthermore, its rumoured Nintendo will be using an Android OS for the Switch's interface, and I hope that would also mean Nintendo is able to allow select titles to be available from the Android market. If they're really trying to make a dedicated gaming tablet then I'd imagine this would be a priority for them as well.

The only thing I'm worried about is the battery life. I can imagine the whole premise of the console (portability) being undermined entirely by a shitty battery life of like 2 hours. 4+ hours would be bearable, 6+ hours would be ideal but probably not realistic at all considering what this is. Rip the glorious battery life of the DSiXL

SuperDoom said:
Stop calling it the NX, it's called Nintendo Switch.
Yeah, I know but I am so used to calling it the NX.

man i'm so excited for the nintendo nx and its swappy thingies and whatever

the name is so much better than its prototype name, the nintendo switch

Re: Nintendo NX

SuperDoom said:
gosh darn im so sorry i just loved playing my dolphin games on my nintendo revolution as a kid

Rohan Kishibe said:
SuperDoom said:
gosh darn im so sorry i just loved playing my dolphin games on my nintendo revolution as a kid
I liked using my Windows NT 5.0/Windows Whistler programs on my Microsoft Windows Longhorn computer as a kid.

I liked playing my Revolution games on my Project Cafe.

Rohan Kishibe said:
Furthermore, its rumoured Nintendo will be using an Android OS for the Switch's interface

I keep reminding people that this was officially disconfirmed last year

[petpeeve]

The only thing that annoys me about the Switch at the moment is how there are no cohesive sizes and distances in the logo in any way.

Like I drew some rectangles and circles on it with matching colours matching sizes.
wtfSwitchLogo.png

Makes icon-display near impossible too.

[/petpeeve]

Nabber said:
remember when the wii u had great third party support and then it all died when no one bothered buying it
Yeah they made all their games for the 3ds where the money was and where the gimmicks were not.

I'm really hyped for this :3

Since it will almost certainly be Ninty's only platform to develop for, it'll have all their attention, which means putting all their first-party games on it <3 glorious.

So, according to reports, it has a touchscreen, the detachable controllers called Joy-Cons have Wii-Remote-like motion controls and IR pointing, so it's essentially merging Nintendo's handheld ans home console lines, the console itself is a bit more powerful, and also much more modern architecture-wise than Wii U.

https://twitter.com/NintendoAmerica/status/791455799302246400?lang=en

price/launch date/games/other specifics to be revealed january 12th

go wild with your anger

Back