How would you make a Mario film?

Magikrazy said:
Why would Kamek turn on Bowser?
Agree, Kamek could have killed Bowser when he was a baby, but he didn't because he respects him and fears him when the Koopa King is angry, he even got beaten up miserably by Baby Bowser.

Bowser can stay as antagonist.

2257 said:
ok

well i do think making a good mario movie is possible, even though in reality it won't ever happen. it seems to me that your argument is that mario is inherently about interactivity and would be something other than mario if you tried to change that. if that's an accurate summary, i disagree. the mario setting and characters are regularly adapted to new genres that have nothing in common with previous entries in the series, gameplay wise. that being the case i don't think you can argue that staying true to the gameplay of super mario bros is what makes something "really mario". if it did, nobody would think mario kart was mario. and before mario kart came out, couldn't you have easily made the argument that mario was inherently about platforming and if you tried to make it about racing it would be something other than mario? yet mario kart is now a very popular and respected part of the mario series. if mario kart can be true to the franchise, i don't see why a film couldn't
Just want to say that one can argue that Mario Kart worked because it's still a video game, so the argument that Mario is inherently about interactivity still stands.

But I'm just playing devil's advocate. I'm all for a Mario movie. If something like Super Mario Adventures (which I heard is pretty good) or maybe Super Mario-Kun can do nonvideo game Mario media correctly, then making an at-least decent Mario film would work.

But first, I'd like to see how that Ratchet and Clank movie turns out... it looks promising.

Ratchet and Clank at least has some amount of actual characters and a narrative that could translate to film. It has dialogue, plot development, cutscenes, etc which could all assist in an adaptation.

Baby Luigi said:
Fawful said:
Mario can make it fresh and interesting though. It's not something that (most) people are tired of seeing in Mario games.

Prophecy plots will NEVER make it fresh and interesting. That's how beaten to death it is. Unless it's a satire of the prophecy plot, it's legit to criticize those things because TOO many stories use these sorry-ass plots.

I really despise prophecies.

I'd like to see a prophecy story where two people could fit the description of who it refers to, but the story follows one character leading you to believe it's them but it's actually the other

Ie: that theory that the Neville is actually the one to defeat Voldemort rather than Harry

Mcmadness said:
Chiaki Nanami said:
historic Mario tropes an ironic, self-aware twist (à la Super Paper Mario)

That game was just about the least self aware Mario game in the entire franchise.
You either really don't understand self awareness or you are joking

Enlighten me then.

yoshiking14x said:
Magikrazy said:
Why would Kamek turn on Bowser?
Agree, Kamek could have killed Bowser when he was a baby, but he didn't because he respects him and fears him when the Koopa King is angry, he even got beaten up miserably by Baby Bowser.

Bowser can stay as antagonist.
I really don't know why I said that back then. I think I was in a rush and just posted the first thing that came to my head. I changed it to what it should have been in the first place.

I would make it like no other video game film. I would:

Follow the source from maybe 70-80% rather than 0-10

Completely cg animated like the games rather than live action mixed with fake cg

Give characters interesting personalities rather than be as interesting as wood

Have characters talk like normal human beings rather than talk like they're in a Wachowski Brothers movie

Make people actually think rather than just be entertained, entertainment is good, but so is thinking and every single video game adaptation didn't have any of the thinking, just the entertainment (Which they weren't entertaining to begin with)

Make Mario different from a lot of protagonists from video game films (And most animated films) and have him act like a real person (like Brad Pitt in Moneyball, Joaquin Phoenix in Her) so people would actually FEEL for him rather than making him so lifeless and dull like Mila Jovovich in Resident Evil, Jake Gyllenhaal in Prince of Persia, Aaron Paul in Need for Speed, and whoever that guy is who's playing Agent 47 in the upcoming Hitman movie.

Make it the first video game film that's actually poetic and smart like The Theory of Everything, Titanic, etc. Rather than just be mindless

Toy Chica said:
supermariofan said:
Make it the first video game film that's actually poetic and smart like The Theory of Everything, Titanic, etc. Rather than just be mindless
What kind of themes could you even use in a Mario based thing?
Lots. The second and third Paper Mario games have some pretty good ones.

It's Mario, don't try to make it pointlessly complicated.

Mario Party X said:
Just want to say that one can argue that Mario Kart worked because it's still a video game, so the argument that Mario is inherently about interactivity still stands.

i'm quite aware that mario kart is a video game, but nabber had already dismissed all non-interactive mario media of the past as "silly" and "laughable" so i had to try and find some other way to appeal to him

supermariofan said:

Completely cg animated like the games rather than live action mixed with fake cg

Have characters talk like normal human beings rather than talk like they're in a Wachowski Brothers movie

Make people actually think rather than just be entertained, entertainment is good, but so is thinking and every single video game adaptation didn't have any of the thinking, just the entertainment (Which they weren't entertaining to begin with)

Make Mario different from a lot of protagonists from video game films (And most animated films) and have him act like a real person (like Brad Pitt in Moneyball, Joaquin Phoenix in Her) so people would actually FEEL for him rather than making him so lifeless and dull like Mila Jovovich in Resident Evil, Jake Gyllenhaal in Prince of Persia, Aaron Paul in Need for Speed, and whoever that guy is who's playing Agent 47 in the upcoming Hitman movie.

Pretty sure that's not staying 70-80% true to the source material

Chiaki Nanami said:
supermariofan said:

Pretty sure that's not staying 70-80% true to the source material
Well I guess 50%

Just make Mario like Mario.

Like in Fortune Street or the Mario Sports Mix press conference or those Charles Martinet Instagram things, or those Charles Martinet things in general.

Clearly Mario needs to be like George Carlin

Mario Party Σ said:
Just make Mario like Mario.

Like in Fortune Street or the Mario Sports Mix press conference or those Charles Martinet Instagram things, or those Charles Martinet things in general.
Well it's a movie, they should make Mario interesting, give him some character rather than just...a plumber...who has to rescue a princess...aaaaaannnnnnnddddd that's all the info you need about him

Nothing about Mario's twin relationship with Luigi? That's already character enough.

His relationship with Luigi, and Peach if necessary.

Bowser in this movie should be a humorous but dangerous villain that threatens the safety of the kingdom. I'd put huge emphasis on his ego, his plan will be ridiculous and over the top and he'd be loud and abrasive.

Kamek would be his right hand man who would constantly fail to capture Peach who is travelling with the bros. Bowser jr wouldn't exist yet, a largely unnecessary character in this case.

Back