How would you make a Mario film?

Doesn't help that its a prophecy story. Something I usually dislike.

I like prophecy stories only if the story outright makes fun of them (eg Lego Movie)

Everybody's the special!

It's kinda funny how Fawful's suggesting that we don't use a "rehashed to death story" and yet his suggestion about prophecies and shit is probably one of the most rehashed things out there.

Baby Luigi said:
It's kinda funny how Fawful's suggesting that we don't use a "rehashed to death story" and yet his suggestion about prophecies and *bleep* is probably one of the most rehashed things out there.

Indeed. The Zelda series pretty much runs on it.

Fawful said:
Mario can make it fresh and interesting though. It's not something that (most) people are tired of seeing in Mario games.

Prophecy plots will NEVER make it fresh and interesting. That's how beaten to death it is. Unless it's a satire of the prophecy plot, it's legit to criticize those things because TOO many stories use these sorry-ass plots.

I really despise prophecies.

2257 said:
anyway, when i was a child i had a comic book called "super mario adventure", or something like that, which was sufficiently entertaining and faithful to the games for my 9-year-old perspective. so i don't follow the logic of anyone who says the mario games can't or shouldn't be adapted into a story-based medium

but i wouldn't want any personal involvement. i am not an artist
well, yeah, you can make pretty much anything and entertain some sort of audience. the transformers movies obviously are entertaining enough for make billions of dollars, and certainly the existing mario movie has some decent entertainment value if you don't take it too seriously. but at least from a critical perspective, i don't think a good mario movie is possible.

Fawful said:
Well that's your opinion. Doesn't make it fact.

It's an opinion but it's a well-grounded opinion.

Prophecies being abused in stories is a well-known fact for anyone who has good knowledge of the JRPG genre. They're probably one of the most cliched things in history and they make life for the "chosen one" horrible since they're usually met with a bunch of unrealistic expectations and ---- and it usually stresses the ---- out of those characters.

minority report made pretty good use of prophecies but in general it's not a very good plot device

Baby Luigi said:
It's an opinion but it's a well-grounded opinion.

Prophecies being abused in stories is a well-known fact for anyone who has good knowledge of the JRPG genre. They're probably one of the most cliched things in history and they make life for the "chosen one" horrible since they're usually met with a bunch of unrealistic expectations and ---- and it usually stresses the ---- out of those characters.

That's part of why I think it should be a variation of the basic Mario scenario because thats just what it is. A scenario. The majority of what happens within that scenario can be all sorts of different things.

i'd be looking towards five, maybe six movies

first movie would be the classic super mario bros./super mario 64 games, with bowser as the main antagonist

the second would be based around superstar saga, with cackletta and fawful as the main antagonists, and bowser reluctantly joins up with the mario bros.

the third movie would be based around partners in time, but avoiding most of the plot within the story, and primarily basing it around the shroob's invasion of the mushroom kingdom

the fourth movie based around bowser's inside story, only without going inside bowser for the majority of the story. fawful and midbus are the main villains.

the optional fifth movie would be based around super mario rpg, with smithy being the main antagonist.

the true fifth movie/sixth movie would be based around super mario galaxy, with mario, luigi and bowser having to head to space to stop wart (triumphant return) from destroying the universe. tatanga and mouser as major antagonists are things i would incorporate in this one.

the reason i would be leaning towards not making a super mario rpg type movie is because i could see it only lending inspiration to these films instead of actually working as a movie on its own

and i think we can all agree that dream team is definitely out of the question here

i'm going to say something that i probably shouldn't say, out of fear that you'll rage at me, but here it is: i'd make these films live action.

i'd also bring in other heroes as either main characters/ minor characters, primarily looking along the lines of toadbert, yoshi, kooper, e. gadd, and by the second movie (through reforming), general guy and kamek. no kooplings, i aiiiiiin't havin' that shit.

Let's not have adaptations of specific games in the series.

Fawful said:
Hoxton said:
cackletta and fawful as the main heroes
What.

And what's wrong with Dream Team?
whoops i meant villains

and we could have done without dream team, they tried too hard to make it different, when they should have tried to make it more like what they originally had

it's fair enough that they tried to adapt it for the 3DS, but the whole 3d mario and luigi shit they had was just...awful, it made it look like nsmb, which they should not have done

plus the story was terrible, and the twist at the end made it worse

it's better imo if we forget that game existed

Mcmadness said:
Let's not have adaptations of specific games in the series.
they won't be adaptions, they'd be based upon those games, so they'd carry elements over from those games to add to the characters and plots

it's fair enough that they tried to adapt it for the 3DS, but the whole 3d mario and luigi shit they had was just...awful, it made it look like nsmb, which they should not have done
You're the first person I've seen criticize this aspect of the game, which is ironic because when this first came out, I assumed everyone would be up in arms over it.

Yeah, I don't see a specific game adaptation being very good. Movies and video games are different mediums and I think there would be a lot more difficulty adapting a video game story for film than there would be adapting a book for film. And there are already many problems people have with book adaptations. I can only imagine them getting worse with games.

Hoxton said:
they won't be adaptions, they'd be based upon those games, so they'd carry elements over from those games to add to the characters and plots

That's what an adaptation is.

Mcmadness said:
Hoxton said:

That's what an adaptation is.
no an adaption is basically making the whole story of the game into a movie itself

the story would be different with a few elements carried over from the games

it is based upon the game's story, it is not actually the game's story

Oh, I see what you mean now.

Either way. Not crazy on it.

Pretty sure the animated transformers movie is generally considered to be a good film.

it's good the same way the voice acting in star fox 64 is good.

Well, yes that is true but its not completely unfair to hope for something good. I mean the movie based off the board game CLUE is awesome!

2257 said:
ok, you didn't need to reply to me. the horizontal bar was there in my post so you wouldn't think you needed to

if you were saying this to me out of your own free will rather than because you felt compelled to by the rules of conversation and my lack of clarity regarding who i was talking to and when, then my response is "ok. but i think if you want mario movies to be 'good from a critical perspective', you're totally misunderstanding what mario is. mario is exactly the same kind of soulless trash made to rake in the cash that transformers was, so expecting a mario movie to be or even try to be 'good' is not logical"
i was responding to you not for the sake of keeping up a conversation but because i was replying to the idea expressed in your post specifically

of course the purpose of the mario movie is to rake in cash which is why i said in my earlier post that the purpose of most hollywood "adaptations" is just to make money. but i made an assumption that this thread would be trying to discuss how to make a good mario movie, since it's awfully easy to make a cashgrab movie

Back