This is coming out on Thursday in US, right? Does anyone care? :P

There's going to be mini Luigis! :luigi:

At last Mini Luigis are appearing

Uh that's a good thing right?

Missingno. said:
They are less cute Baby Luigis.

Just like how Mini Marios are less cute Baby Marios

Huh.

I'll probably pass. It looks fine but I'm content with my ds game.

I can't say I'm dying to buy the game or anything. I bet that's what a lot of users say about that game....

Lumastar said:
Wittgenstein said:
I may get this. But I highly doubt it'll be anywhere near as good as the original. That game has yet to be surpassed IMO.
Yes it has, at least in my book. Why does everyone praise the first game so much despite being a weaker sequel to Donkey Kong for Game Boy, yet everyone hates on its sequels?
Probably because it went from puzzle platformer to puzzle platformer with Lemmings.

Lumastar said:
Wittgenstein said:
I may get this. But I highly doubt it'll be anywhere near as good as the original. That game has yet to be surpassed IMO.
Yes it has, at least in my book. Why does everyone praise the first game so much despite being a weaker sequel to Donkey Kong for Game Boy, yet everyone hates on its sequels?
First of all, I never owned Donkey Kong GB, and from what little I played of it it felt like a weaker MvDK, despite coming first. Meanwhile Mario vs. Donkey Kong on GBA was one of the first video games I ever played, I have tons of memories of playing it in elementary school and to this day I've not played every level in it (One day I should go back and unlock all the bonus levels)

I was really hyped when I heard about a sequel on a TV commercial and while I still enjoyed the second game, it lacked the magic that I felt when running, jumping and climbing through the levels of the GBA game. Every game I played after that felt like a rehash of the DS game. That's basically why I wish we could see more of the gameplay offered by the GBA game. Sadly the touch-screen puzzle gameplay has become the face of MvDK so I don't really have much hope in that anymore.

Mario Party X said:
Lumastar said:
Wittgenstein said:
Probably because it went from puzzle platformer to puzzle platformer with Lemmings.
Are you saying that's a bad thing, or merely reflecting on the fact that people hate change?

I will admit that I originally thought that it was dumb when the minis could no longer be directly controlled, but I accepted it once I realized how much more challenging it made the game.

Wittgenstein said:
Lumastar said:
Wittgenstein said:
First of all, I never owned Donkey Kong GB, and from what little I played of it it felt like a weaker MvDK, despite coming first. Meanwhile Mario vs. Donkey Kong on GBA was one of the first video games I ever played, I have tons of memories of playing it in elementary school and to this day I've not played every level in it (One day I should go back and unlock all the bonus levels)

I was really hyped when I heard about a sequel on a TV commercial and while I still enjoyed the second game, it lacked the magic that I felt when running, jumping and climbing through the levels of the GBA game. Every game I played after that felt like a rehash of the DS game. That's basically why I wish we could see more of the gameplay offered by the GBA game. Sadly the touch-screen puzzle gameplay has become the face of MvDK so I don't really have much hope in that anymore.
You need to play all of Donkey Kong to enjoy and appreciate it.

Anyway, it seems that a good part of your enjoyment for the game comes from nostalgia (which is understandable). When was the last time you played the game? And as for the rehash thing, I feel like this is the first installment that might be a total "rehash". 2 added the Minis, Again! took away their control (which, like I said before, added to the challenge), Mayhem! added changing parts, and Move added the controversial 3D gameplay. Each game also added to the level editor (except for Move, which I consider the weakest in the series), with more levels in Again! (yes!), vertical and horizontal levels in Mayhem! (yes again).

And on the graphics, the original is no better.

Lumastar said:
Mario Party X said:
Lumastar said:
Wittgenstein said:
Are you saying that's a bad thing, or merely reflecting on the fact that people hate change?
The latter.

I'll probably get it.
It looks fun.
Fun = Good.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again... As of this point, the Mario vs. Donkey Kong series is dead to me, plain and simple. While I did disagree with the formula change for the most part, I actually enjoyed the second game to some degree. Then after that, they just continued to milk that game, churning out one rehash after another (even moreso than the New Super Mario Bros. series). It was from that point onward where I wanted nothing more to do with the series.

i have no interest in this game but can someone explain why the last mario vs donkey kong game was called mario AND donkey kong but now the current one is back to mario vs donkey kong

get the name of your games straight nintendo

Because in the last one Mario wasn't against DK

It would have made no difference if it was Mario and Donkey Kong instead, considering the story in this game.

I got this game like I said I would, and I will admit that it has problems. First, much of the content is reused. Sure, some things are changed (magnets can be turned on and off, blue ladders have been replaced by elevators, etc.), but it's mostly the same. At least the Pink Blocks are back.

Second, the Community, while a very great feature to include, is brought down by the huge abundance of free star levels. Like, I've seen 5 Gold Mini Marios so far, and 3 are owned by people who have made nothing other than free star levels.

Third, the editor lacks a few features from Mini-Land Mayhem. There are no long levels, no tall levels, less levels are allowed, and some features are cut.

Regardless, this game does a lot right. The successful gameplay from Mini-Land Mayhem returns after the unbalanced mess that was a huge portion of Minis on the Move's gameplay. I've seen some great levels in the Community, despite all the worthless ones. The campaign, despite its mediocre story, is quite sizable. The different part themes are a great inclusion despite working remotely the same. And despite the opinions of others, I like the simplistic visual style and music.

Overall, this is a good game. It's not the best in the series (especially when compared to the very similar Mini-Land Mayhem), but it's not a disaster by any means.

Back