Same sex marriage

2257 said:
Mario Party Σ said:
Can't deny that the term "homophobe" carries its own weight, though. I think it's just better to point out the flaws in his argument rather than using the label.

if it's insulting to describe something as what it is

there's something wrong with the thing being described

not the description
Although I haven't seen a single legit argument from the side that opposes gay marriage, there are people who aren't as malicious and oppose gay marriage as decreed by their religion. I'm saying that, in this case, labeling them as a homophobe/bigot before pointing out the flaws in the argument still constitutes as ad homineum and it might encourage them to go on the defensive while the "on the fence" side sees us as attackers.

Of course, if the person doesn't actually consider the major flaws in his argument, then I'd call him a homophobe. Also, of course, if the person is more blatant and aggressive about it, call the person for the bigot/homophobe/dingwad he or she is.

And, of course, there are always people who try to pose as reasonable people (concern trolls, JAQing off, "I'm not prejudiced, but...", and others), but I'm giving Master Koopakid the benefit of doubt and assuming good intentions.

Derpl Zork said:
Well either way it doesn't matter what anyone thinks or whatever religious excuse you can come up with to mask your bigotry because it's been made legal and there's no changing it :birdo: :blooper: :bowser: It's just "marriage" now.
Yes, now, let's see what more countries will follow suit. Hopefully, it shouldn't be long.

Nozomi Toujou said:
i keep hearing that some states are considering outright banning marriage because of this like ummm what
"I can't be happy, so no one should be happy".

Nozomi Toujou said:
i keep hearing that some states are considering outright banning marriage because of this like ummm what

lel

Its funny because of how short-lived the celebration was before states started banning marriage altogether in effort to stop gay marriage.

And by funny i mean silly and childish.

But on the positive note:

Technically its now says in the law of every state for two people to marry, regardless of anything itself. That itself is an achievement (one that we already should have but i digress), and i'm personally celebrating. Even if this is just one step, might as well party, right?

Relevant:
Liquid+gay+i+was+off+the+internet+for+2+days_519fd4_5594700.jpg

Unrelated by at the same time related, did you know that the government here in Sweden during the 1970ies used to think homosexuality was a disease, and then everyone reacted to that by taking sick leave from their jobs because 'they were feeling homosexual'? This made the government change their thoughts on the subject.

RandomYoshi said:
Unrelated by at the same time related, did you know that the government here in Sweden during the 1970ies used to think homosexuality was a disease, and then everyone reacted to that by taking sick leave from their jobs because 'they were feeling homosexual'? This made the government change their thoughts on the subject.

Ah, yes. Someone told me about that a while back, and its one of my favorite stories, is it really true?

I wouldn't be too surprised since homosexuality used to exist as a diagnostic label for mental diseases.

Kimberly Hart said:
RandomYoshi said:

Ah, yes. Someone told me about that a while back, and its one of my favorite stories, is it really true?
Dude, Sweden was super duper conservative up until the 1970ies. There were laws in check to assure nobody without the proper genes or grades could even reproduce.

RandomYoshi said:
Kimberly Hart said:
RandomYoshi said:

Dude, Sweden was super duper conservative up until the 1970ies. There were laws in check to assure nobody without the proper genes or grades could even reproduce.
Damn! Thats crazy, i had no clue about that. >.>

I'm highly skeptical now. Was kind of doubtful to begin with, but don't say things without providing an actual source.

but i DID find this

http://www.newsweek.com/avoid-supreme-court-gay-marriage-decision-alabama-temporarily-bans-gay-348366

EDIT: http://www.clarionledger.com/story/politicalledger/2015/06/26/bryant-gay-marriage/29327433/

found it
wow i thought it was fake myself after i couldn't find a source but then i just removed "us states" from google

Nozomi Toujou said:
wow what

i think i said something along the lines of "they should do that" a while back, because requiring the state to authorize your marriage is silly in and of itself. let me see if i can find it

wow according to that article they want to pass a law to prevent discrimination against people who oppose gay marriage

a law to prevent discrimination against people who discriminate. amazing

Nozomi Toujou said:
Javelin said:
i think i said something along the lines of "they should do that" a while back
are you the leader of a state
no

anyways back then i was saying that they should get rid of state involvement in marriage because it's entirely a social construct. no one should require government authorization to get married, no matter who they are

also, about those articles

the first one is that alabama has stopped issuing licenses until the court's decision is actually put into effect, which wont be for another three weeks or so. that's akin to them being as stubborn as they can up to the last moment, then they'll have to follow the law and issue them again. the second one is more interesting
"One of the options that other states have looked at is removing the state marriage license requirement," Gipson said. "We will be researching what options there are. I personally can see pros and cons to that. I don't know if it would be better to have no marriage certificate sponsored by the state or not. But it's an option out there to be considered."
i'd personally like to see if they would actually get the government out of marriage, but i doubt it. once government gets control of something it rarely ever gives it up

Nabber said:
wow according to that article they want to pass a law to prevent discrimination against people who oppose gay marriage

a law to prevent discrimination against people who discriminate. amazing
Anti-bully laws infringe the rights of the bully to bully

Stay classy, homophobes.

Javelin said:
Nozomi Toujou said:
wow what

i think i said something along the lines of "they should do that" a while back, because requiring the state to authorize your marriage is silly in and of itself. let me see if i can find it
this here

i don't even see why we need the law to marry you

its just a title, i could grab somebody and call them my wife, and nobody would question me about it cause they don't know whether i'm married or not, unless they ask to see my marriage certificate, which nobody ever does anyway

i mean what are the long term consequences anyway? why do you have to be ordained? why do you have to take it up with the law first? it makes fuck all sense anyway

plus they'll probably end up in divorce anyway

so what exactly is the point in the law getting involved?

it's just more work for everybody

Everything's rainbow.

It's like social media and skittles had a baby

but congrats to gays in america anyway

Ultron said:
Javelin said:
Nozomi Toujou said:
wow what

this here

i don't even see why we need the law to marry you

its just a title, i could grab somebody and call them my wife, and nobody would question me about it cause they don't know whether i'm married or not, unless they ask to see my marriage certificate, which nobody ever does anyway

i mean what are the long term consequences anyway? why do you have to be ordained? why do you have to take it up with the law first? it makes fuck all sense anyway

plus they'll probably end up in divorce anyway

so what exactly is the point in the law getting involved?

it's just more work for everybody

There's actually a substantial amount of laws and rights and shit that goes into a marriage, and that's ENTIRELY the purpose gays wanted the right to marry. If it really was just a frivolous meaningless title then not a single person would give a single shit about it, but it means everything to couples.

Here's some fun links for you to peruse

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rights_and_responsibilities_of_marriages_in_the_United_States
http://www.hrc.org/resources/entry/an-overview-of-federal-rights-and-protections-granted-to-married-couples
http://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/marriage-rights-benefits-30190.html
http://www.freedomtomarry.org/pages/from-why-marriage-matters-appendix-b-by-evan-wolfson

Back