Nintendo Won’t Be Restocking Some Amiibo Figures

Claus said:
Dr. Mario's Drunken Holiday Elixir said:
Oh gawd, I can imagine some people buying the store's stock of Amiibo only to sell them online for ridiculous prices.

Ughhh, Nintendo, why are you letting these people do this!?

You should see how much the defected Amiibo's have sold for (Samus with two guns, Peach without legs (iirc, that one sold for $3000?)).
There's a handless Luigi one that's on auction. It started pretty low, around 10 pounds, but I think it rose to something like 350+ pounds, which is just above $650. Holy schmoly, a lot of schmucks willing to throw away money on children's toys. To be fair, I guess seeing something defective inside an unopened container is interesting, but not enough for these outrageous prices.

Anyway, defected Amiibos isn't quite the same topic as disgustingly low supply for Amiibos.

I for one, would love a headless Mario amiibo.

i thought this was somewhat relevant to this topic

http://www.gonintendo.com/s/243961-miyamoto-on-amiibo-in-card-form-zelda-u-s-open-world-starfox-mario-movie-rumor-next-gen-mario-wii-u-successor

Miyamoto: We're not making promises for certain figures, but the way "amiibo" is designed is that certain games can have "amiibo" specifically for that game. Other games can take advantage of past "amiibo" that developers want to make their game compatible with. In the future, we have the option, if certain "amiibo" figures are no longer available in stores, to release an "amiibo" in card form with the same functionality.

so... i'd assume if they went through with this, the cards would be far more widespread since they probably dont cost as much to make as a figure does... i guess this would be a way for people who cant get/dont want the figures to still be able to get the functionality at a cheaper price, although it'd certainly turn away people who wanted them for collectable purposes
i guess it would be a good idea for when they eventually discontinue some of them, but i hope the figures will still stick around for at least a while after all the smash bros amiibo have been released

What's wrong with producing more figures? How much more money do cards save? And do people buy Amiibo for the figurine or to use them? And why don't they use online retailers? Kids want the figurine, collectors want the figurine, Nintendo fanatics want the figurine. Is it really THAT expensive to increase supply for the Amiibo rather than keeping the stock artificially low?

I highly doubt the cards will sell a lot. The biggest appeal to the Amiibo is a solid figurine of a character. The collection aspect really isn't there anymore when it's a cheap card with someone's face printed on it.

Nintendo should be ashamed of all this bullshit. I'm sorry for the rant, but Nintendo shouldn't have to steep this low to let scalpers run amuck.

Lumastar said:
Toon Link- while he serves the purpose of being an alternate figure to unlock the Link costume with in Mario Kart 8, that is likely his best saving grace
He can also unlock the spinner in Hyrule Warriors.

Lumastar said:
Auburn S said:
Lumastar said:
Toon Link- while he serves the purpose of being an alternate figure to unlock the Link costume with in Mario Kart 8, that is likely his best saving grace
He can also unlock the spinner in Hyrule Warriors.
That still doesn't change the fact that normal Link does the same thing.
True. Having two amiibos that unlock the exact same thing seems rather stupid. However, it has its perks.

wowow lgm like they havent even confirmed it yet and youre already acting like its the worst thing ever
all he said was that they're considering it, he didnt say 'yea lol instead of restocking on marths and villagers we're gonna make cards instead lololol' all he said was 'we're considering it for if an amiibo is no longer available to buy' nothing even about when or how they'd do it, just mentioning an idea they've been considering. for all we know they might only do it in like two years, or not at all
if they really do go through with it, i would assume that they'd announce (not launch, that would come later) it at e3 2015 at the earliest, along with whatever other amiibo plans they have, so it'd probably only release in a year's time, which would be plenty of time for them to release/restock more figures

I likened the card thing to something like "oh, you didn't get a toy, have fun with a crude drawing of one", which is why I kind of bristled. Nintendo isn't dealing with the core problem, and that's the lack of supply meeting the demand, and it seems that they're intentionally keeping it low. But eh, maybe I was jumping to conclusions. But it's weird that they even considered it a possibility. Just... why? When the demand goes down? I... just don't understand how they got to the card part.

Dr. Mario's Drunken Holiday Elixir said:
I likened the card thing to something like "oh, you didn't get a toy, have fun with a crude drawing of one", which is why I kind of bristled. Nintendo isn't dealing with the core problem, and that's the lack of supply meeting the demand, and it seems that they're intentionally keeping it low. But eh, maybe I was jumping to conclusions. But it's weird that they even considered it a possibility. Just... why? When the demand goes down? I... just don't understand how they got to the card part.
Who says that 1. the drawing will be crude and 2. the drawing will even be if a figure?

Hm, don't take my response literally. I really love figurines, so amiibos are really appealing. I'm taking my own biases into account, but it's still difficult for me to think that people buy amiibo for the functionality AND the statue, not just the functionality. Admittedly, the amiibo really isn't much when it comes to functionality... so far.

I guess the cards will be there if people really want unlocks in their Mario Kart, but if amiibos become more useful for the games, I might see their actions as somewhat understandable. But right now, amiibos just unlock minor costumes and happen to be a CPU that can develop. Not really impressive in my eyes.

Lumastar said:
Based on what I've heard, Pit and Little Mac are going to be the rare ones this time around.

Good thing I got a Little Mac for Christmas then. I also managed to get a Marth for Christmas too.

@this thread.

Some good news, anyone?

My suspicions that the scarcity of particular amiibos is due to Nintendo's being very new to this kind of market and are therefore cautious on the supply on the "less popular characters", seem supported by this.

Mario Party X said:
@this thread.

Some good news, anyone?

My suspicions that the scarcity of particular amiibos is due to Nintendo's being very new to this kind of market and are therefore cautious on the supply on the "less popular characters", seem supported by this.
Thank God.

I read a great article on the growth of amiibos, but I can't find it again. It mentioned how Nintendo was unprepared with amiibo and that they would work this year.

Mario Party X said:
@this thread.

Some good news, anyone?

ew reddit

Great if they're considering reprinting, I guess. I really want a Wii Fit Trainer amiibo ;A;

I'd be so happy if they end up selling them through Nintendo's site.

Also he mentioned something about Wave 4 characters being leaked already? I haven't seen anything like that yet (unless it's the Duck Hunt/G&W stuff)

Slightly off topic but does anyone know about what's going on with the Wii u adapters for the gamecube controllers?

GBAToad said:
Mario Party X said:
@this thread.

Some good news, anyone?

ew reddit

Great if they're considering reprinting, I guess. I really want a Wii Fit Trainer amiibo ;A;

I'd be so happy if they end up selling them through Nintendo's site.

Also he mentioned something about Wave 4 characters being leaked already? I haven't seen anything like that yet (unless it's the Duck Hunt/G&W stuff)
I know, Reddit isn't where I'd like to hang out, but they occasionally have some crap that's worth it. Like Mindless Junk.

You guess? It's apparent that they dislike the amiibo scalping situation and they're doing what I'd want them to do. They'll earn my respect if they work on combating the scalpers by restocking their supply.

Magikrazy said:
Slightly off topic but does anyone know about what's going on with the Wii u adapters for the gamecube controllers?
Pretty much the same thing. They also talked about Wii U adapters. According to the link I posted, Nintendo was also surprised at the popularity of those adapters. I believe they said there are going to be more in the future.

Finally, one thing, but have any of you heard about this one d-bag that preordered 100 Rosalina amiibos because he hates Rosalina and despises her fans a lot? He goes by DailyDose and Mariotehplumber. I don't feel like linking the article because it feels like clickbait, but this entire article is from Destructoid, so yeah.

As with any collector craze, amiibo are being hit hard by the resell market -- a group of people that buy as many as possible only to flip them for a substantial profit. Most see it purely as business, but one man's driven by a personal vendetta with regard to one of the figurines.

In an interview with Nintendo Nuggets, a collector of vintage Nintendo items who goes by both "Daily Dose" and "Mariotehplumber" revealed that he's pre-ordered more than a hundred Rosalina & Luma amiibo -- all because he really, really dislikes the character. "I do not appreciate Rosalina appearing in almost every recent Mario game to date. The fact Nintendo promotes her so much and people praise her is just disgusting," he said.

Daily Dose continued "I hate her fans, too. I know for a fact her amiibo will be among one of the most popular, which is why I took the time to wait and pre-order over 100 of her. I do not want her fans to be happy... It just crushes me Nintendo from the good days went to this shit for character designs."

While it seems excessive, it's just a fraction of the amount of money Daily Dose claims to have committed to amiibo. He says that he has already spent more than $4,000, and that he has an additional $35,000 to invest on the figurines. Of those funds, he states that he intends to spend heavily on Lucina, Palutena, Robin, and Zero Suit Samus -- all out of a similar hatred and disdain that he has for Rosalina.

Some might find it unbelievable that one man could acquire this many rare amiibo, but Daily Dose says that he orders them using addresses of friends and family. There isn't any substantial evidence that he owns all of these apart from several pictures of piles of amiibo graced by a middle finger (something that, honestly, sounds likely from a man of this mindset). So, if you're looking for a Rosalina amiibo with no luck, just remember that someone who can't stand her is part of the reason why.

" I Hate this character, so I'll personally buy everything and anything they make with her. That'll show Nintendo." he said, giving them all his money.

This is more money than the estimated amount of money I might get from financial aid. :/

SuperMarioSM3DLand.png
Mario, stomp this guy's head really hard.

Megamario15 said:
I know my main (this plumber :mario:) is fine. However, maybe you guys can scrape together enough money to buy them before they're gone.
Of course. He's the friggin' face of Nintendo.

You can resist buying from scalpers. I know they may posses the mains you love, but if you buy from them, you're screwing the rest of us over. And maybe yourself in the future when the amiibos restock.

Back