Characters You Like but Everyone Else Hates

Gabumon said:
BoGTvK6.png
oh

King Harkinian said:
ThreeThousand said:
Gangrel, apparently.
So far, I think Gangrel was a better villain than Validar.

thats not saying much at all.

Both of them sucked as villains to be honest with you.

Pink Gold Peach, Birdo, Agitha, Fi, Navi, and the six spotpass characters from Fire Emblem: Awakening.

There's probably more, but I can't think of anybody else right now.

I like the Mario baby characters in general (except for Baby Rosalina, don't care about her)

Baby Mario's crying in Yoshi's Island IS NOT the worst thing you'll hear and it's WAY TOO OVERBLOWN like every single annoying thing in existence (like Hi I'm Daisy or Navi)

Auburn S said:
Pink Gold Peach, Birdo, Agitha, Fi, Navi, and the six spotpass characters from Fire Emblem: Awakening.

There's probably more, but I can't think of anybody else right now.

I think Priam and Walhart are pretty awesome.

OH MY GOD YOU KNOW WHAT WOULD'VE BEEN COOL

What if Mastermind (gangrel and walharts theme if you fight them)
played whenever you faced someone with them, sort of like a Beauty Is A Mad Mistress-esque kind of thing.

Birdette. In general, most people seem to hate her simply because she's transgendered, which is a revolting sentiment.

Crocodile Dippy said:
Birdette. In general, most people seem to hate her simply because she's transgendered, which is a revolting sentiment.
Yeah I know, it is absolutely outrageous and sickening. I think Vivian gets the same hate, because in Japan she is transgendered iirc (probably slightly wrong and should have Googled it first, but eh).

Vivian was written as a transwoman in the Japanese version (and several European versions), and most of the harsh insults she receives throughout the game is at the expense of her being assigned male at birth. This was supposed to be a big part of her character arch, as she learns to love herself for who she is by removing herself from the environment where she is only tolerated, and instead travels with Mario who treats her no different than anyone else - with kindness and acceptance for who she is. Her finally standing up to her abusive sisters was meant to be the big "fuck yeah" moment for her development as a character.

And a lot of that is still there in the English version, they just disgracefully removed all the references to her being trans, presumably because they were worried it would be provocative (as if Peach stripping naked to walk around invisible wasn't...). So instead, the (still good, mind you) character arch is simply "abused little sister strikes back", which is also good but not nearly as powerful as her original story.

It aggravates me on a personal level because it's so common for the identities of myself and other trans persons to be erased like this so as to "avoid controversy", as if our existence alone is an affront to the very fabric of society and children's innocence.

*Birdetta, sorry that was a typo. The American instruction manual for Super Mario Bros. 2 says (rather disparagingly, which is not appreciated): "Birdo thinks he is a girl and likes to be called Birdetta. He likes to wear a bow on his head and shoot eggs from his mouth." Therefore, it's courteous to refer to her by her preferred name.

I understand it might sound silly to be so politically correct over a fictional dinosaur, but for me at least, it's mostly the principle of the matter given Birdetta's frequent misnaming from Nintendo and the fanbase reflects the sort of misgendering real trans persons experience on a day to day basis.

I assumed that was scrapped, considering it hadnt been used since 1988.

I personally don't care for Birdo. Not because of the transgender issue (which goes against my headcanon of Birdo being Yoshi's homosexual male partner), but rather the Birdo species as a whole kinda creeps me out.

Yoshis eat Shy Guys and shoot eggs out their butt. But Birdos spit eggs out their mouths. What end do the Shy Guys go in?

*shudders*

Crocodile Dippy said:
Vivian was written as a transwoman in the Japanese version (and several European versions), and most of the harsh insults she receives throughout the game is at the expense of her being assigned male at birth. This was supposed to be a big part of her character arch, as she learns to love herself for who she is by removing herself from the environment where she is only tolerated, and instead travels with Mario who treats her no different than anyone else - with kindness and acceptance for who she is. Her finally standing up to her abusive sisters was meant to be the big "fuck yeah" moment for her development as a character.

And a lot of that is still there in the English version, they just disgracefully removed all the references to her being trans, presumably because they were worried it would be provocative (as if Peach stripping naked to walk around invisible wasn't...). So instead, the (still good, mind you) character arch is simply "abused little sister strikes back", which is also good but not nearly as powerful as her original story.

It aggravates me on a personal level because it's so common for the identities of myself and other trans persons to be erased like this so as to "avoid controversy", as if our existence alone is an affront to the very fabric of society and children's innocence.
Oh cool, so oI wasn't wrong.

But yes, it aggravates me in the same way. The whole localization thing is beyond stupid.

Crocodile Dippy said:
*Birdetta, sorry that was a typo. The American instruction manual for Super Mario Bros. 2 says (rather disparagingly, which is not appreciated): "Birdo thinks he is a girl and likes to be called Birdetta. He likes to wear a bow on his head and shoot eggs from his mouth." Therefore, it's courteous to refer to her by her preferred name.
I....actually did not know that.

? Block said:
I like the Mario baby characters in general (except for Baby Rosalina, don't care about her)

Baby Mario's crying in Yoshi's Island IS NOT the worst thing you'll hear and it's WAY TOO OVERBLOWN like every single annoying thing in existence (like Hi I'm Daisy or Navi)
This so much. Baby Mario characters are awesome (except for Baby Rosalina).

I never found the crying annoying, same with Navi or "Hi, I'm Daisy!". When I say I find things annoying, I'm usually joking unless I back it up with evidence.

Navi isn't annoying, but still...

Zae Eildus said:
King Harkinian said:
ThreeThousand said:
Gangrel, apparently.
So far, I think Gangrel was a better villain than Validar.

thats not saying much at all.

Both of them sucked as villains to be honest with you.
the real villain was WALHART, WHO IS A MANLY VILLAIN WHO DOES NOT DESERVE TO BE IN THE SAME SENTENCE AS THE OTHER TWO THUGS. HE IS SIMPLY TOO MANLY AND AWESOME AND INEXORABLE.

Magikrazy said:
the zelda owl

just be patient and try not to rush through the text guys
:O Somebody likes the Owl and it isn't me.

Magikrazy said:
I assumed that was scrapped, considering it hadnt been used since 1988.

I personally don't care for Birdo. Not because of the transgender issue (which goes against my headcanon of Birdo being Yoshi's homosexual male partner), but rather the Birdo species as a whole kinda creeps me out.

Yoshis eat Shy Guys and shoot eggs out their butt. But Birdos spit eggs out their mouths. What end do the Shy Guys go in?

*shudders*
Shy Guys don't go in. It's Yoshi's tongue that goes in.

Back