Stage Legality Discussion Thread

GalacticPetey said:
Which is really just a stereotype of the competitive community. It's not all about fox only, no items, final destination. The community wants platforms.

Battlefield is a much more neutral stage than FD. Maybe in the future he can make "alpha" versions of the stages.
Omega forms are a joke. They serve the purpose of letting people enjoy the stages they don't like in their normal forms, but they're still kind of a big joke.

I am in full support of Alpha versions of each stage.

GalacticPetey said:
I wonder why Sakurai is so reluctant to embrace the competitive scene.

Maybe because people are ignoring more than 3/4 the shit he puts into the game because of it? Omega mode was probably added so that the other 95% of the stages aren't ignored.

But on a more likely (though mine is still reasonable) reason is that if he makes fighters all at the same level without their own little quirks and charms to them, then he isn't really giving the characters he is putting in much variety or character to them.

Of course characters can have quirks and be good. Olimar is such a gimmicky character yet he's considered one of the best in Brawl.

It's not about character strength. Every fighting game has some characters that are better than others. Just the nature of the beast. What I meant was more the fact that Sakurai intentionally did things to discourage competitive play such as adding tripping (which has thankfully since been removed), getting rid of a lot of Melee tech and gameplay elements, etc.

It just seems like Sakurai is against people playing the game anyway that isn't his way.

GalacticPetey said:
Claus said:
Ichabod Crane said:
They shouldn't ban any stages

I agree. That's like saying certain characters should be banned.
Grand finals of tournaments with thousands of dollars on the line shouldn't come down to random stage hazards.
Maybe people should stop sucking

King Graham said:
GalacticPetey said:
Claus said:
Ichabod Crane said:

Grand finals of tournaments with thousands of dollars on the line shouldn't come down to random stage hazards.
Maybe people should stop sucking
FYI, no one likes to watch matches were people are camping the entire time, or the blast lines are so big, the matches start dragging. Tournaments happen also because the audience interest.

Claus said:
Ichabod Crane said:

Then you're ignorant of the competitive scene and your analogy is awful. I'll explain later, but I need to eat.

GalacticPetey said:
Which is really just a stereotype of the competitive community. It's not all about fox only, no items, final destination. The community wants platforms.

Battlefield is a much more neutral stage than FD. Maybe in the future he can make "alpha" versions of the stages.
Arguably, Pokemon Stadium from Melee is the most balanced stage due to its changing mechanics, despite that rock one, which is kind of campy, but it's still not as bad as, say, Temple or Corneria.

The audience loves seeing excitement. Just look at the sports. No one likes watching people camp. So yeah, they're pussies when it comes to watching boring things.

King Graham said:
So what you're telling me is that they're pussies?
yeah they should just have random things in tournaments and just deal with the stage hazards and items

and in bowling tournaments they should use bumpers

and in baseball the batters should have random stage hazards that damage the players and caves the players can just hide in so the other team doesnt win

Magikrazy said:
King Graham said:
So what you're telling me is that they're pussies?
yeah they should just have random things in tournaments and just deal with the stage hazards and items

and in bowling tournaments they should use bumpers

and in baseball the batters should have random stage hazards that damage the players and caves the players can just hide in so the other team doesnt win
Exactly my point
see this guy get's it

GalacticPetey said:

maybe because the majority who buy the game aren't competitive?

trying to appeal to both isn't going to solve problems....it's going to create more. see pokemon, a convoluted mess of competitive and more casual elements.

i agree the omega stages kinda suck though

i dont see what the problem here is though, im good with both, some stages suck but i want to hear the music while i fight so omega stage it is.

Besides this is a fighting game, its going to have a competitive scene regardless.

People need to really stop whining on both sides and agree that both sides have their own forms of a playstyle.

Honestly, I'd watch sports more if there were items scattered around the arena.

i wouldnt, sports would be boring regardless.

Zae Eildus said:
People need to really stop whining on both sides and agree that both sides have their own forms of a playstyle.

all playstyles are equal but some are more equal than others

? Block said:
GalacticPetey said:

trying to appeal to both isn't going to solve problems....it's going to create more. see pokemon, a convoluted mess of competitive and more casual elements.

Sakurai DID intentionally slap the competitive scene in the face when it came to making Brawl, though. He took the great foundation Melee had and basically dumped it. He did say he didn't want to do Melee 2.0, though, which is probably why the physics are so different, but in the end, no one really wins from the physics change. The more casual players wouldn't care, and the more dedicated players hate it.

Still, Smash Bros. for 3DS does feel like Brawl 2.0 for some reason.

? Block said:
Zae Eildus said:

NO ANIMAL SHALL DRINK IN EXCESS

King Graham said:
? Block said:
Zae Eildus said:

Yeah I have reread animal farm recently

Dr. Mario said:
? Block said:
GalacticPetey said:

Sakurai DID intentionally slap the competitive scene in the face when it came to making Brawl, though. He took the great foundation Melee had and basically dumped it. He did say he didn't want to do Melee 2.0, though, which is probably why the physics are so different, but in the end, no one really wins from the physics change. The more casual players wouldn't care, and the more dedicated players hate it.

Still, Smash Bros. for 3DS does feel like Brawl 2.0 for some reason.

too bad it didnt work for brawl as brawl still had a competitive scene. You can't have a fighting game without a competitive scene.

It's like living without being born.

Anyway not so sure about ssb4 being brawl 2.0 as its far more balanced, harder, faster, and just better in about everyway imaginable.

? Block said:
King Graham said:
? Block said:
Zae Eildus said:

Yeah I have reread animal farm recently
It's a good book

? Block said:
GalacticPetey said:

Melee was able to appeal to both.

GalacticPetey said:
? Block said:
GalacticPetey said:

I didn't think Melee was that good

King Graham said:
GalacticPetey said:
? Block said:
GalacticPetey said:

it was far better than the original but holy shit the roster was awful and is probably one of the most imbalanced fighting games ive seen in quite some time.

Dr. Mario said:
Claus said:
Ichabod Crane said:

Then you're ignorant of the competitive scene and your analogy is awful. I'll explain later, but I need to eat.

I'm not ignorant; I know the competitive scene. I just gave my opinion. If you don't like my opinion, well then oh well. You can't just walk in though saying that I'm ignorant and that my analogy is awful and then not say anything else.

Zae Eildus said:
King Graham said:

it was far better than the original but holy shit the roster was awful and is probably one of the most imbalanced fighting games ive seen in quite some time.

Thank you. I mean, Melee's roster was just sad.

Back