Proposals

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boo Diddly

Shine Sprite
This topic deals with Proposals. If a proposal is made, a proposal passes, a proposal fails, a proposal gets removed by an admin, a proposal gets extended, ect. Post it here.

Note: Multi-Choice Proposals like this are really confusing and I don't know what category to put them in with Archived Proposals, so those will not be included (But you can still post here about them).

If I missed any proposals, post that here. And don't post proposals that passed or failed over 7 days ago.

Current Talk Page Proposals
Split Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS / Wii U into Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS and Super Smash Bros. for Wii U Proposer: 3D Player 2004

Current Writing Guidelines Proposals
None yet

Current Changing Proposals
None yet

Current New Features Proposals
None yet

Current Removing Proposals
None yet

Current Misc. Proposals
None yet

Recently Passed Proposals (In the last 7 days)

None yet

Recently Failed Proposals (In the last 7 days)
Delete List of allies Proposer: Time Turner

Or folks can, y'know, put the proposals page on their watchlist and keep track of them that way. I've been doing that for seven years: it is a system that works. Especially now that we have the archive page (so no more "uhh, I think SoS made that proposal in early 2009 so it should be somewhere between archives 10 and 14 - I'll go manually check every one to find it..."). Plus the TPPs aren't supposed to be removed after they pass until they're enacted, so even though there's no archive directory or them besides the category, they don't usually become relevant again unless the pages in question are being messed with, in which case the TPPs are there on the talk pages, easily accessible.

Sorry, but this just seems really unnecessary, and is inviting discussions to happen on the side when really, the chatter should be contained within the actual Comments sections (until the proposal fails/passes and it was decided that the matter should be discussed further on the forum, but separate threads should be made for those cases anyway). It's very annoying having to go on conversation scavenger hunts all around the community just to get the full story on a single given issue, especially when the forum's often unreliable search feature has to be employed.

The point is that the topic is redundant because proposals are already effectively organized on the wiki. The featured articles topic exists because FAs don't have a similar system (and don't really need it because featured articles are never going to be cited as justification for or deterrents against performing certain actions on the wiki, unlike proposals).

Lord Boohemoth said:
Current Changing Proposals

Please don't use that color on a white background ever again

Mario4Ever said:
The point is that the topic is redundant because proposals are already effectively organized on the wiki. The featured articles topic exists because FAs don't have a similar system (and don't really need it because featured articles are never going to be cited as justification for or deterrents against performing certain actions on the wiki, unlike proposals).
Featured Articles thread also happens to be a collaborations thread, as it can invite people to improve on a Featured Article nomination or prevent an article from being unfeatured and vice versa. Super Smash Bros. Brawl, that's one of those that remained featured because its issues were brought to light.

Featured Articles, from my experience, isn't AS much accessed as proposals due to a sore lack of votes and comments on issues, especially if there are articles nominated to be featured and it takes literally weeks to get just five votes. I don't know how effective the Featured Articles thread is when it comes to garnering attention, but I think it at least functions.

The General Discussion thread AND the comments section of the proposals is a good place for more generic subjects the proposals cover compared to Featured Articles.

Personal preference reigns over practicality.

It doesn't matter either way, because this thread is NOT becoming a thing. I have half a mind to just throw it in the archive heap right now before we all waste even more of our time talking about it further...

But before we go, any additional reasons Featured Article thread works and this doesn't?

One of the complaint thrown around when the proposal to create this board was active was that having a forum for wiki stuff would take away agency from editors who can't/don't care to make a forum account. Stupid, uninformed votes made only because someone linked to a proposal on chat or something is enough of a problem as is, and a forum thread would make that so much worse.

I'm already uncomfortable with the FA thread as is, as it's frequently used to talk shit about nominations, but atleast, it has the redeeming factor of allowing to organise improvement drives for FA-nominated articles in a manner much more pratical than the FA comment section. This thread, however, has no added pratical benefits as Walkazo said.

Dr. Mario said:
But before we go, any additional reasons Featured Article thread works and this doesn't?
I don't touch the FA thread myself: really don't care for it or about FAs in general, really (can't spread myself too thinly across the wiki).

But relating to Glowsquid's post, FA improvement is usually collaborative, whereas it's the lone proposer's responsibility to enact their own proposal (unless they need admin assistance with deleting or MWiki/Help/etc. namespaces or whatever), and other users should only participate if they get permission from the proposer. So there's no need for most passed proposals to be advertised like FAs (much less failed proposals), and the exceptions, where collaboration is needed, can just be given individual threads (if the proposer so chooses) that then get archived one the project's finished.

Glowsquid said:
I'm already uncomfortable with the FA thread as is, as it's frequently used to talk *bleep* about nominations, but atleast, it has the redeeming factor of allowing to organise improvement drives for FA-nominated articles in a manner much more pratical than the FA comment section. This thread, however, has no added pratical benefits as Walkazo said.
Eh, I wouldn't want to delete such a thread if it's used like that; I might have to tell people to stop complaining and actually contribute while pointing out the flaws. I do that too, I got to get out of it. Any more ideas for improvement? </another thread>

Another reason I can see, is like Walkazo mentioned right at the top is the Watchlist. People can check their Watchlist to see when a new proposal or vote or whatnot it cast, yet for the FAs, you don't know when one will be created and it'd be kinda dumb to go around putting a nonexistent nomination page on every article on the off chance that someone decides to nominate it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back