Look at it! Look at it! LOOK AT IT!

Yeah in that picture, if you didn't know better, looks like Mario is the one kidnapping Peach, with that facial expression of his and her facial expression

The eyes on that thing bother me so much. Wouldn't it be just easier to slap a texture on there? But again, Yoshi's Story was responsible for masterpieces like

Yoshis_Story_Spiny_Fish.png

Or the lovely ''gems'' of Super Paper Mario

71_BittacudaCard.PNG

Or some Mario Party 6 host rejects

126px-Cragnon_2.png

I hate the character design of this game.

The art style of Super Paper Mario could have worked if the game was designed around it. If like, the main characters also fit the design, as well as the world. The inconsistency is the main downfall of its art style, as well as it's Mario when it shouldn't be.

I really wonder if Super Paper Mario is the mixing of an extended version of Bowser's sections from TTYD with a scrapped project, as there are clearly two different art styles within the game.

This is a Spike in Super Mario 3D World. It is an example of how a Spike should look:
360px-Spike_Artwork_-_Super_Mario_3D_World.png

But this is a Spike in Yoshi's Story:
Gabon.gif

Baby Luigi said:
The art style of Super Paper Mario could have worked if the game was designed around it. If like, the main characters also fit the design, as well as the world. The inconsistency is the main downfall of its art style, as well as it's Mario when it shouldn't be.

As I've said many times. It's a completely different game with token Mario elements in it.

If it was super pixl tippi or something less uninspired it wouldn't be so jarring.

Course then nobody would give a shit because without Mario's name it's a forgetful mediocre rpg.

i have a weird soft spot for Yoshi Story 64.

Everything was just so cute i want to cry. Even Baby Bowser at the end was barking like a dog when his speech bubble came in

''Caugh Caugh Caugh cow cow cow Caugh!''

i can't with this :P

Mcmadness said:
Baby Luigi said:

As I've said many times. It's a completely different game with token Mario elements in it.

If it was super pixl tippi or something less uninspired it wouldn't be so jarring.

Course then nobody would give a *bleep* because without Mario's name it's a forgetful mediocre rpg.

A lot of games share this problem: being games that get ruined because it contradicts their brand recognition

Metroid Prime: Federation Force
Animal Crossing: amiibo Festival
Star Fox Adventures

and so on.

I can actually see metroid in federation force, my only gripe is the chibi artstyle. amiibo festival is just an animal crossing crappy board game.

Star Fox adventures however is a prime example of wrong series, wrong game.

Baby Luigi said:
and there's these models, also from the same game

800px-BabyMarioBabyLuigiYNI.png

Looks high-res only because of the render settings I used.

I admit, these aren't my best model renders and their low-res textures are still fairly jarring, but tweaking around lights and stuff makes a huge difference.
The guy at Supper Mario Broth wasn't as clement
tumblr_o8bf322F1F1rrftcdo1_1280.jpg

We're lucky that Yoshi's New Island is always here to keep this thread alive...

That Baby Mario looks like his textures are made of paint and being washed off by rain

I believe that was the inspiration for one of his alt colours in smash.

Mcmadness said:
I believe that was the inspiration for one of his alt colours in smash.

If it's the one I'm thinking of that was apparently based on that one fake Bowser at the end of The Lost Levels.

Toa 95 said:
If it's the one I'm thinking of that was apparently based on that one fake Bowser at the end of The Lost Levels.
I too think it is. Currently the Super Mario Wiki has many problems with the classification of images belonging to Super Mario Bros. and Super Mario Bros.: The Lost Levels, for obvious reasons of similarity of both games one to the other.
The funniest thing is that now the Encyclopedia Super Mario Bros. doesn't even state that Blue Bowser is a fake Bowser, it just says he is a mystery and that his identity is unknown...

Mister Wu said:
Toa 95 said:
I too think it is. Currently the Super Mario Wiki has many problems with the classification of images belonging to Super Mario Bros. and Super Mario Bros.: The Lost Levels, for obvious reasons of similarity of both games one to the other.
The funniest thing is that now the Encyclopedia Super Mario Bros. doesn't even state that Blue Bowser is a fake Bowser, it just says he is a mystery and that his identity is unknown...

I was saying that an alternate costume in Super Smash Bros. is based on a fake Bowser, not saying that Bowser's original artwork is supposed to be that.

Toa 95 said:
I was saying that an alternate costume in Super Smash Bros. is based on a fake Bowser, not saying that Bowser's original artwork is supposed to be that.
My bad, then (by the way, what is the source of this artwork? There are various different versions of it, with different colors).

Back