Look at it! Look at it! LOOK AT IT!

Mister Wu said:
Mcmadness said:
smb1_ad_compare_2.jpg
6906878747_7483e39902_o_d.png

Nice those eagles in a shell, by the way.

O-oh. Oh my god. Is. Is Bowser okay??

ルイージ said:
Mister Wu said:
Mcmadness said:

Nice those eagles in a shell, by the way.

O-oh. Oh my god. Is. Is Bowser okay??
This is the first redesign of Bowser, then this came:
BowserSMBart.png

And then this:
Main_cast_scene_SMB3.jpg

Please note that the color of the eyebrows and of the hair is pretty much unchanged, while the color of the skin and of the eyes was changed. It is fascinating to see how Bowser's design changed so much in the early years.

It's also fascinating to see Bowser in a really weird outfit that you don't really see anywhere else, right?

Striker Mario said:
It's also fascinating to see Bowser in a really weird outfit that you don't really see anywhere else, right?
I'm starting to think that you are sending to me subliminal messages so that I show weird stuff on this forum:

The second one is perfectly on-topic, by the way....

Striker Mario said:

With black eyebrows even.

Fun fact when I saw that picture as a kid thats what I thought he'd look like at the end of the game. I was somewhat disappointed he didn't.

Mcmadness said:
Striker Mario said:

With black eyebrows even.

Fun fact when I saw that picture as a kid thats what I thought he'd look like at the end of the game. I was somewhat disappointed he didn't.
It doesn't help that the artwork for the Dark Land already has a new revision of Bowser's design:
Dark_Land.jpg

No cape, red hair, red eyebrows. Well, at least the blue eyes are still there...

It seems like the cape thing was some sort of prototype, but the artwork was already drawn, so Nintendo was "screw it".

Thats alright. In hindsight I like how he looks just fine.

Well, the cape never had its chance...

Capes are dumb.

Capes have their place. But Bowser don't need one.

Well,
015.jpg

I'm quite surpsrised that another artwork of SMB3 caped Bowser actually existed! This one even showed the whole Koopa and the eye-like front ring of the neck's cuff! The more I see it, the more I would like to give this Bowser design a chance!

Swiftie_Luma said:
Bowser's design took a loong way to become what it is right now , from what i see...
Since some of the pictures are quite "interesting", and allow us to return on topic, here's a brief visual history of Bowser's design:
Bowser_and_Peach_original_SMB.png

BowserSMBart.png

Main_cast_scene_SMB3.jpg

Bowsersmb3.png

BowserSMW1.png

Bowsersm64.png

Bowser_-_Super_Mario_Galaxy.png

Bowser_artwork02.png

I still somewhat think that the second image (from the SMB players' guide) is quite wrong...

I admit the cape does look kinda cool.

Though I don't much care for the yellow hair and black eyebrows.

Mcmadness said:
I admit the cape does look kinda cool.
CapeBowserSMB3.png

I definitely agree! It's interesting also because along with it there's this peculiar buckle on the neck's cuff. The designers probably wanted him to look more like a king in Super Mario Bros. 3, but then this idea was definitely abandoned shortly after the game's release (or maybe even before it, when it became clear that a cape would have been quite difficult to add with the limitations of the NES hardware...).

I think that Super Mario Galaxy's intro with this outfit would have been amazing!

Mcmadness said:
Though I don't much care for the yellow hair and black eyebrows.
Well, unless you badly want Bowser to be like Mario, with black moustache and eyebrows but brown hair, I don't see a particular reason to want both black eyebrows and yellow hair together...
Ironically, the more I see Bowser's early SMB3 design the more I find similarities with Mario's design: blue eyes, black eyebrows but fair hair... almost like a counterpart!

the more i LOOK AT IT , the more i think that Bowser was more Ludwig's father rather than Bowser Jr's...

The resemblance with those colors and a blue cape is a bit close.

Swiftie_Luma said:
the more i LOOK AT IT , the more i think that Bowser was more Ludwig's father rather than Bowser Jr's...

The resemblance with those colors and a blue cape is a bit close.
I don't think that's surprising, I think Bowser Jr.'s design was inspired by Baby Bowser's, while the Koopalings could only be inspired by Bowser's design.
I'd say that Ludwig was designed to be similar to Bowser because he was the second in command and Bowser's first son and, as a consequence, the enemy to be fought before Bowser. He had to be an enemy that reminded Bowser and also was somewhat more menacing than the other siblings.
Still, there are many differences between Bowser and Ludwig: for example the color of the eyes, the large blue hair, the lack of horns, the single protruding tooth.
I'd also add that in the image Bowser has an expression of self-confidence that reminds Ludwig.

Whoa. I never noticed the cape on Bowser in the Super Mario Bros. 3 artwork before.

Just posted this on the twitter feed, from Yoshi's new island

Cb80jP6UYAECX24.png:large

Well that's just a shitty render, all things considered, with its normals with the eyes are not even fixed. With the right settings, you can make any farts look at least passable.

qcShufJ.png

and there's these models, also from the same game

800px-BabyMarioBabyLuigiYNI.png

Looks high-res only because of the render settings I used.

I admit, these aren't my best model renders and their low-res textures are still fairly jarring, but tweaking around lights and stuff makes a huge difference.

I often forget baby Luigi is in most yoshi games.

That's because he's not in most Yoshi games. All sprites and models you see are unused models, despite what MarioWiki and other lying blithering idiots at Nintendo told you. They're there unused so data-miners can inform me and then piss me off how he's not used, and then Nintendo can continue laughing at me while I go into fetal position and suck my thumb.

Back