Mario pictures

Let's continue my (useless) insight into the development of Yoshi's design!

Although Yoshi's modern design can be seen in many early N64 games, including Mario Kart 64, it's not too far-fetched to say that Yoshi's modern design debuted in Yoshi's Story, his modern voice for sure did, and effectively that game featured basically all of the features of his modern design, in particular the shell and spike placement:
YoshisYS.jpg

While watching the addition to the Yoshi gallery today, though, I noticed something.

Formally, Yoshi's Island featured the "classic" Yoshi's design with just the modern hands to better show the egg throwing:
SMW2RareArt4.png

But the sprite? Let's have a look:
SMW2yoshi.gif

(I suggest to zoom in if you can't see it well, increasing the size of a pasted sprite is a bit of a bad habit as it leads to upscaling artifacts even for those who don't need to zoom)

A closer look reveals that those sprites already featured the modern shell, not only that but let's compare this to modern sprites of Yoshi (used in Paper Mario: Color Splash and Super Mario Run):
PMCS_Yoshi_Animated.gif

SMR_Yoshi_Preview.png

Basically, the sprite of Paper Mario: Color Splash is almost an upscale of the Yoshi's Island sprite. The main difference are an addition of a lowermost spike in Yoshi's Island and the white area not covering the whole cheek, this latter trait can also be seen in the Super Mario Run sprite that at this point only misses the additional spike (and features legs, with the lack of legs being the only "annoying" trait of these otherwise very good early sprites).

So yeah, while Yoshi's Story can still be considered the game that introduced modern Yoshi, it looks like many of its features were already being introduced in the sprites of Yoshi's Island, despite the artwork not using a much different Yoshi's design from that of classic Yoshi.

The shell is particularly intriguing, as it was the trait that gradually made Yoshi more like the turtle Tezuka wanted him to be from the start. Tezuka was one of the directors of Yoshi's Island, so it looks like things are starting to come to their place.

Last edited:
Thanks for the tip! It actually makes the story even more interesting, as SNES Yoshi's Cookie is where this sprite design effectively first appeared, but in the bigger sprites the design was definitively the SMW one. So where do the small ones come from? Considering how apparently they served as basis for Yoshi's Island that then served as basis for MK64 and Yoshi's Story, it would be surprising if they were third-party designs rather than internal sprites from Nintendo.

Dr. Baby Wario literally kitbashes the Baby Mario Bros. textures from Super Sluggers: not even the doctor Baby Mario Bros. use their Super Sluggers textures except for the mouth and the bottom of their shoes. I work with that Baby Luigi model so many times that I'll recognize his textures whenever I see them

Dr. Baby Wario textures (fun fact, just look at how this texture sheet is cropped, you can see bits from the original Baby Mario Bros. texture sheet lmao)
DrBabyWario_dif.png

Dr. Baby Mario & Dr. Baby Luigi (for comparison)
Dr.baby_mario_dif.png
Dr.baby_Luigi_dif.png

Baby Luigi (Super Sluggers)
BabyLuigi.png

BTW, Dr. Baby Luigi is likely just an edit of Dr. Baby Mario (or the other way around possibly), his UV shell layout is almost identical to Baby Mario's save for the prop difference. Even Mario Kart 8 Baby Luigi has a different UV shell layout than Baby Mario.

the light purple and darker purple on baby warios textures made me think of chowder i cant believe they put chowder in the game

edit: MORE epic artworks from supper mario broth posts
6508ca3f2421c926754879f03a38e769c0f8dcd0.jpg

Last edited:
I do have that book, but haven't scanned yet. I have to choose what parts I should upload, plus the lack of Baby Luigi puts a dent in the merit of the book as a whole...

plus the lack of Baby Luigi puts a dent in the merit of the book as a whole...

I like seeing all of these cute images from Yoshi's Island and me thinking

Baby Luigi is still being kept hostage against his will in some sort of dungeon separated from his family while this is going on

Why is Peach dating a 10 year old?

So did Mario have puberty later than most guys or something? This is supposed to be prom I think. Explains his voice, but still....

Back