Names you had for Mario characters/enemies before you knew their actual names

I used to call Toads mushroom heads, but other than that no, I always knew everyone names.

Enemy = Goomba
Turtle = Koopa Troopa
Spikes = Spiny
Bullet = Bullet Bill
Dead Turtle = Dry Bones
Cloud = Lakitu
Lakita = Lakitu Bros. (misread the name)
Browser = Bowser (I used to call him Browser since SM64 until MKDS)
Hammer Throwing Soldiers = Hammer Bro.
Plant with teeth= Piranha Plant
Dog = Chain Chomp
Fish = Cheep Cheep
Squid = Blooper
Shiny Turtle Shell = Buzzy Beetle
Flying Turtle = Paratroopa

Super Smash Yoshi said:
I thought Kamek was female at first.
The dress and the “Witchy” voice doesn't help anyone who sees Kamek or any Magi-koopa for the first time, I realized in Mario Party ds that Kamek was a he.

Peach: the princess

cataquacks were "oh lord it's these things again stop blowing up my giant watermelon you jerks aaaaaaaaahh"

yoshiking14x said:
Super Smash Yoshi said:
I thought Kamek was female at first.
The dress and the “Witchy” voice doesn't help anyone who sees Kamek or any Magi-koopa for the first time, I realized in Mario Party ds that Kamek was a he.

Peach: the princess
I realised he was male in Yoshi's Island DS, when Kamek was called "he".

ThreeThousand said:
cataquacks were "oh lord it's these things again stop blowing up my giant watermelon you jerks aaaaaaaaahh"
Oh yes! Cataquacks!
My brother and I called the blue ones "quaker-jackers" and the red ones "quacker-snappers".
Also, we thought the name "Gooper Blooper" applied to all Bloopers, and not just the big boss of Ricco Harbor. Oops.
The Toad species were all called "mushroom-heads", because we just figured that Toad was only named Toad, and not his species. Same with Yoshis, which we called "cute, big-nosed dinos".

ThreeThousand said:
Weird, they were never a problem because I had a blast spending the first 30 minutes or so killing them.

I once called Goombas bossy boots when I was 8. I don't know why either.

I've always known the names of stuff but does horrid pronunciation count? I use to call bob-ombs "Bomb olms". I also called Luigi, "Lugie" and Waluigi "walugie".

Edit: I called cataquacks "quack ducks" and Birdo "Big lips". Be be fair, those two were intentional and made up by a friend and me.

Dr. Mario said:
ThreeThousand said:
Weird, they were never a problem because I had a blast spending the first 30 minutes or so killing them.
Yes. Once my brother and I figured out how to kill them, they became so much more tolerable.

yoshiking14x said:
Both Boom Boom and Spike were called “Koopa Kids” because I thought they were Koopalings too.
I thought Spike was Larry.

Super Smash Yoshi said:
yoshiking14x said:
Both Boom Boom and Spike were called “Koopa Kids” because I thought they were Koopalings too.
I thought Spike was Larry.
And Boom Boom looks like a Roy without Sunglasses and some Wreck-It-Ralph fists.

My cousin called Blooper "Squiddy" when she played MK7 for the first time with us and the nickname stuck, even tho my bro and I knew the proper name.

My friends all call the Chain-Chomp in MK:DD "the dog", and I use similar RL names for the various animal enemies in the DKC series, since I often forget the proper names. Probably do the same with various Mario enemies too, but I can't remember any examples off the top of my head. Just Star Fox bosses, for some reason.

I call the Luma character that travels with Mario "Mayonnaise", since that's what colour he is and he has no name so why the hell not.

In a similar vein, my bro and I also use "the Uglies" as shorthand for Wario and Waluigi, particularly when they're teamed up in MK:DD - until Nintendo gives them a better team name, we're sticking with it.

Lumas were temporarily called “baby stars” and Rosalina as “Peach look alike” because she had some resemblance to her.

I called Goombas "poops" until I saw the video on one of the discs for Super Mario Galaxy 2, which called them Goombas

Back