Do you consider Luigi, Yoshi, and Rosalina overrated?

Answer in order.

• No, No, No

Votes: 15 33.3%
  • No, No, Yes

Votes: 10 22.2%
  • No, Yes, No

Votes: 6 13.3%
  • Yes, No, No

Votes: 3 6.7%
  • No, Yes, Yes

Votes: 1 2.2%
  • Yes, No, Yes

Votes: 2 4.4%
  • Yes, Yes, No

Votes: 3 6.7%
  • Yes, Yes, Yes

Votes: 5 11.1%

• Total voters
No. But its getting there, at least with Rosalina.

No to all 3 of them. Yoshi is NOT overrated at all, where'd you get that from? Rosalina nor Luigi are overrated either.

Rosalinda's popular because of Galaxy and coming into the Mario Kart series.
Luigi's popular because of the YoL and that Death stare stuff.

Yoshi, I don't know, he's eh.

YoshiGo99 said:
Luigi's popular because of the YoL and that Death stare stuff.
Luigi was popular long before then. It was most likely his exclusion from the original Super Mario 64 that did the trick.

Rosalina is overrated. She's going to take over the world!

The other two are okay. Luigi and Yoshi are already popular since the 90s.

Rosalina isn't overrated, they just don't know how to utilize her as a character properly.

As far as I understand, Rosalina's popularity came from what she added to Super Mario Galaxy. She shines as an actual defined character in an ocean of cardboard cut-outs. However, she keeps getting shoveled into games after games while having nothing of value to contribute to them. That is a mistake, because that is not what she was designed for. It makes her continued appearance feel like some tacked on gimmick instead of a wholesome, integrated part of the game. That's why when she's in a game, it feels dumb and forced.

In my opinion, Rosalina would be best off not appearing in any more Mario titles unless the premise or concept explicitely calls for her. She works best as a distant, enigmatic overseer of cosmic events, not a personality-less foot soldier concerning herself with the frequently recurring need to rescue Bowser's prisoner of the week.

That's the work of a plumber, not a pseudo-goddess.

Her inclusion in SSB is different since SSB is not just another generic Mario platformer, and with the unique moveset and qualities they gave her, they've definitely put some actual thought into her inclusion. I mean, they could have just as well made her a Peach clone, but they didn't. That's genuine effort and so she gets to make a unique contribution to the overall experience. It works.

It's not like in every other game where she's in, where the usual reason for her inclusion was apparently something like:

:yoshi: "Duhhhhh we have this cyan star lady person here that some people liked once, whaddawe do with her?"

:mario: "Put her in the new game but leave out everything that made her unique and likable in her first appearance"

:yoshi: "Dude, U R GEENEYUZ"

-Luigi, yes, though I see why people like him, and I still like his character.

-Yoshi, not sure, I've seen quite a bit of back-and-forth on him, honestly.

-Rosalina......depends. I like her, I don't mind her being more of a mainstay, and I can see why she's popular, being the character with a more defined backstory and all. I guess her being of a calm demeanor, and being (essentially) a god can be another thing. Though her being the reason to knock down others and their favs (Peach) to oversell her existence does irk me.

@Gabumon, does including her playable in spin-offs (Golf, Kart) count towards degrading her normal look. Because the only game that bothers me where she was playable outside of Galaxy was 3D World. I'm pretty sure the appeal of Mario Kart is fanservice.

Luigi- Saying "yes" and liking a character isn't mutually exclusive. It's just those anti-Mario Luigi zealots that get me on the defensive.

Yoshi- Hell yes. Always gets the top pick in nearly every dang Mario-related poll created. And then there are Yoshi zealots, who are just as bad. Yeah, zealots exist in every form. Yoshi and Luigi's are just more numerous.

Rosalina- Being vomited into every game doesn't necessarily mean she's overrated, but there has to be a reason Nintendo is doing this. But either way, although she's likeable, she gets too much love from Nintendo and her fans. Her Smash Bros. appearance was over the line.

If I'm honest, any respect I had for Yoshi got destroyed by the people in the "Hurt and Heal: Core Characters" thing.

Ninelevendo said:
If I'm honest, any respect I had for Yoshi got destroyed by the people in the "Hurt and Heal: Core Characters" thing.
how?

Cause I didn't realise how many people really liked Yoshi. He's not really that great in my opinion, but, anyway. How many people do like Yawshi anyway?

no to all, they all have their fair share of popularity but are definitely not overrated imo

Yoshi is, if anything, underrated. He hardly gets much, if any respect in the Mario platformers.

No, no, and no. None of them are overrated.

Back