What happened to Petey Piranha?

GalacticPetey said:
I just wonder if Rosalina will be like Petey and will get left behind as a product of the Wii era as new characters from the Wii U era like Nabbit become the new spin-off mainstays.

The difference is that Rosalina is quite a popular character. I doubt Petey Piranha will ever reach her levels of popularity

Something of note is that unused data was found on Mario Kart Wii's disk suggesting that every Character from Double Dash was intended to return and Hammer Bro was going to be in but time constraints forced the removal of Petey, Paratroopa, and Hammer Bro.
Mario Kart 8 did not work like that. No characters were cut due to time constraints. Nintendo intentionally made the roster as it was in the final game. At least according to Mr. Bean and Chadderz (the hackers who datamined for that).

GalacticPetey said:
I just wonder if Rosalina will be like Petey and will get left behind as a product of the Wii era as new characters from the Wii U era like Nabbit become the new spin-off mainstays.
Nah, there are way too many Rosalina fans, also I think Petey will be back soon.

GalacticPetey said:
But Petey Piranha never got a playable appearance in some of Nintendo's "big" games, most notably, Super Smash Bros.

I think being playable in a Super Smash Bros. game is a huge honor for any character, IMO. It's hard to lose that title.

Kart Player 2008 said:
Something of note is that unused data was found on Mario Kart Wii's disk suggesting that every Character from Double Dash was intended to return and Hammer Bro was going to be in but time constraints forced the removal of Petey, Paratroopa, and Hammer Bro.
Mario Kart 8 did not work like that. No characters were cut due to time constraints. Nintendo intentionally made the roster as it was in the final game. At least according to Mr. Bean and Chadderz (the hackers who datamined for that).

Are you sure they haven't planned it out before actually adding it in? I'm 96% sure Bowser Jr., Diddy Kong, etc were brought up during development

Maᴙio said:
GalacticPetey said:
But Petey Piranha never got a playable appearance in some of Nintendo's "big" games, most notably, Super Smash Bros.

I think being playable in a Super Smash Bros. game is a huge honor for any character, IMO. It's hard to lose that title.
Petey at least appeared as a boss. That's more than characters like Daisy can say, who hasn't even become an assist trophy like Waluigi has.

Baby Luigi said:
Why hasn't Dino Piranha reappeared? He should appear with Petey Piranha at some point

Hell they should make a boss fight featuring both of them, with Dino Piranha as Petey's pet

Have it set in some world dominated by Piranha plants and it would be perfect.

Mcmadness said:
Baby Luigi said:
Why hasn't Dino Piranha reappeared? He should appear with Petey Piranha at some point

Hell they should make a boss fight featuring both of them, with Dino Piranha as Petey's pet

Nintendo needs to exercise more of their creative muscle

They really should make a game where you play as Bowser's army. Petey could be one of the generals, or maybe have his own kingdom of Piranha Plants.

Baby Luigi said:
Mcmadness said:
Baby Luigi said:

They could probably make entire games based around playing with old concepts.

Mcmadness said:
Baby Luigi said:
Mcmadness said:
Baby Luigi said:

They could probably make entire games based around playing with old concepts.
I know, maybe revival of Super Mario Land, Super Mario Bros. 2, the GBA Mario vs. Donkey Kong thing,... I'd like these games see some fresh air and get a gameplay overhaul so they'd be more interesting.

But this is going off-topic.

Petey Piranha is still there, he's just not playable anymore, it seems.

Although if there's a next Mario Kart game that's styled around Double Dash, there might be a good chance he returns.

GalacticPetey said:
Maᴙio said:
GalacticPetey said:

Petey at least appeared as a boss. That's more than characters like Daisy can say, who hasn't even become an assist trophy like Waluigi has.
But Daisy has 5 Mario Kart appearances to Waluigi's 4 to Rosalina's 3 to Petey's 1.

Kart Player 2008 said:
GalacticPetey said:
Maᴙio said:
GalacticPetey said:

But Daisy has 5 Mario Kart appearances to Waluigi's 4 to Rosalina's 3 to Petey's 1.

But Daisy has one extremely minor Mario platformer appearance compared to Petey's 2 prominent appearances

But Daisy has zero RPG appearances compared to Petey's 2 appearances

Kart Player 2008 said:
GalacticPetey said:
Maᴙio said:
GalacticPetey said:

I was just using Daisy as an example of a character appearing in some form in Smash. Mario Kart has nothing to do with Smash.

I think Petey should get into Smash 4 somehow, be it a boss or an assist trophy where he spits goop.

Nysic said:
I think Petey should get into Smash 4 somehow, be it a boss or an assist trophy where he spits goop.
He was a boss in Barlw, but my god, his appearance is butchered with that generic, awful voice. But a lot of Mario characters have awful voices in the game, so why should I be surprised?

what does that THING have to do with petey piranha?

...Are they both voiced by Takashi Nagasako?

Baby Luigi said:

I was thinking about unused Mario characters, I'am aware that DK still appears but only in spin-offs.

To bring back my focus to Petey I liked the connection with Dino Piranha that was previously posted.

yoshiking14x said:
Baby Luigi said:

I was thinking about unused Mario characters, I'am aware that DK still appears but only in spin-offs.

To bring back my focus to Petey I liked the connection with Dino Piranha that was previously posted.

And DK appears in his own series.

yoshiking14x said:
Baby Luigi said:

Dino Piranha probably descended from the same species Petey did.

GalacticPetey said:
yoshiking14x said:
Baby Luigi said:

Dino Piranha probably descended from the same species Petey did.
What happens if it was just alternate reality, you know, considering the spacey theme of that game?

Hey, how come there aren't debates about Petey's gender? In French versions, Petey is female.

Back