Super Smash Bros. Reflections - Week 4 (Last Week) - Smash 4 Speculation Week

SonicMario

Star Spirit
With less then a month away from the Japanese release of the 3DS version of Smash 4, and less then 2 months for us. I thought it'd be now a good time to start having our reflections on the past games. This is going to be similar to Magikrazy's thread where we made reflections on each of the Mario Kart games daily. Only this time, this will be Weekly. Because all the Smash Bros. games are just too big for just one day. Here's the current schedule of each week:

From today/the day this thread was posted (August 18th) to August 24th, it's Super Smash Bros. 64 week.

From August 25th to August 31st, it's Super Smash Bros. Melee week

From September 1st to September 7th, it's Super Smash Bros. Brawl week

And from September 8th and beyond, it will be reflection on what has revealed for Smash 4 thus far. As sometime before, exactly at, or after September 13th… We'll know the Full Roster of Smash 4. This is also why I'm not starting this in September and having each of the four weeks planned just run through all of September until we're at the North America release of the game like how Magikrazy's Mario Kart thread was done. Because the full roster of Smash 4 being known would overshadow what would be Brawl week. And most people will either be A. Discussing/Debating (Cause I assure you SOMEONE's going to complain no matter what, even on our relatively small forum compared to the rest of the internet.) what they think about the full character roster of Smash 4 or B. Off the internet because they want to remain unspoiled at least until they have the game.

If you'd like, but it's only optional. Go ahead and play the game that is currently being featured on the same week. I might even do something like that myself. But for now, let's start with the good ol' Original game on the Nintendo 64.

Now first of all, I don't think it's appropriate to start a reflection of the first Smash Bros. game without showing the famous commercial that aired in the Americas. Which I think can be credited itself with bringing quite a bit of people into the Smash Series alone:

The hilarity of seeing the characters in Mascot type costumes at first getting along happily until they start beating the hell out of each other was hilarious and perfectly showed what the appeal of Smash Bros. was. Your favorite Nintendo characters, beating the stuffing out of each other in a fun and cartoony fashion. I don't think anyone could of made a more perfect advertisement if they tried, the soundtrack dissonance of having characters fight each other while an old, happy-go-lucky song plays was just perfect. And I even added a BRSTM to one of the custom stages that I have built-into with my Project M build. Whenever I hear that song, I think of Smash Bros. I doubt that's what the Turtles long ago wanted you to think about when you listened to that song. But nonetheless, So Happy Together became more sarcastic to those who associate the song with Smash Bros.

But enough of the commercial, with the game itself. Super Smash Bros. 64 was actually one of the first games I ever owned. I got it for Christmas at pretty much the same day I got my N64, which is also the first game console I ever owned. So right then and there, Smash Bros. holds a special place in heart because it was part of what made me the gamer I am today. I feel like I grew up with the Smash Bros. series. Though while it was so far back I don't exactly remember everything I did in the first days with the game, I do remember playing the game with my Dad who would always play as Link. I even watched him go through Classic Mode (Or well back then it was just simply 1P Mode basically) a few times and fight Master Hand. Those memories along when I used to play Mario Kart 64 with my dad as well will always remain some of my best gaming memories (Part of why I just can't bring myself to hate Mario Kart 64 no matter how many people criticize the game that it's aged terribly. You don't know how special any game can be when you've played a game with your parent(/s) at 5/6 years old. If you want to point fingers at me and say "Nostalgia Glasses" fine, but they're Nostalgia glasses worth wearing because of how special those memories can really be.)

Anyway, what else besides the normal gameplay and what would become called as Classic Mode there were two things that people still clamor to return in future games. Board the Platforms and Race to the Finish. Ok, so the latter did kinda return in Melee though it was quite different. And usually on your first playthrough you run into that door that's the absolute closest to you because you're not aware that there's more instantly. It wasn't like the four floors in Smash 64 where there was a clear Point A and Point B. Board the Platforms wasn't overall too important because unlike with Target Test, you don't unlock anything substantial for really completing it even if you beat it with every character. But for many regardless, it was still fun. And quite challenging at some points, I remember Ness and Samus's being particularly difficult. While I doubt it will make any kind of big return in Smash 4. It just goes to show you how much people remember of the original Smash game that even a simple mode that didn't really do too much but be like an additional target test has been occasionally wanted to return again in every future game.

But I think there's something far more important from Smash 64 regarding returning in future installments that has indeed left untouched and has so far always been a constant in the series: The Original 12 themselves. If you spent any amount of time in Smash Speculation. You should be familiar with the Original 12 argument. It's practically been made gospel to the majority of the Smash Community, that the Original 12 are practically assured to return in any Smash game regardless of the character's franchise having no new games or they feel irrelevant at the current moment. We're already at 10 out of the 12 characters confirmed for Smash 4 already. It feels like there is no ifs, buts, or maybes in regards to the characters of the original game. It's when, will, and of course. Personally I love how the Original 12 feels like it's set in stone, it gives a sense of tradition to the Smash series that even some of the most established fighters don't always follow. I think we're at the point where if even just one of the Original 12 regardless who they are is ever removed from Smash game. That's the equivalent of the developer of the game, or even Nintendo itself committing an unforgivable sin that people will never forgive even if it leads to backtracking with DLC. There may be a point where Smash rosters can't get too much bigger because of how long it takes to properly balance each and every fighter without having to spend an extra two years with a roster above 60 characters or so. But if it ever does come to that, there should be a clear level of priority regarding potential returning veterans. And for the sake of tradition, the Original 12 should be left untouched.

Let's say a Smash 5 is coming out another 7 years from now and we're about 5 years in. I think as much as i would disappoint some people who really liked a lot of the Newcomers, they should be the ones who are on the Chopping block before any of the characters that have been in more then one Smash game. I'd even say I'd rather have Jigglypuff back in Smash 5 then most of the currently known newcomers for Smash 4. I don't care how much anyone says they think Jigglypuff should have never been playable in Smash Bros or how she's so irrelevant now and should be replaced with so-called "better" and "cooler" Pokemon. I'm sorry, but Jigglypuff is part of the tradition. Unless you beat Classic Mode in Smash 64 quickly enough on your very first playthough (Which in which case would of gotten you Captain Falcon.), Jigglypuff was the first character you ever unlocked. She was the first character that you saw with "Warning! New Challenger Approaching!". Even if in both Smash 64 and Brawl, Jigglypuff is more like the character that you humiliate your friends with by beating them with her and gloat "You just got beat by Jigglypuff! That's just how good I am at this game compared to you!" that still becomes kinda part of the tradition. Even in Melee where it actually turns out that competitively Jigglypuff is one of the best characters in the game, the ability to make your foes underestimate you because you're using the cute pink puffball and then seeing their faces when you're beating them to the ground with who they'd thought they'd be walking all over you. There's something about that, it just makes Jigglypuff fit in because so many people not in the know tend to underestimate Jigglypuff from the get go when even in the games that she is one of the weaker characters, there have been people who have demonstrated great skill and aerial mobility that can wow newer players. And similarly, Jigglypuff also shocks people by continually reappearing in every Smash game to date. Much like how people underestimate Jigglypuff prior to a fight before being beat down by someone skilled with her, she continues to shock her detractors who underestimate her connection to the Original 12 as if she's the weak link and that there's instead an Original 11 and not a 12 just because of what Jigglypuff is to some. I think as of her reappearance in Brawl, any reappearance's even from those who dislike her should boil down to "*sigh* I knew it all along even if I don't like it… I can handle Jigglypuff another 7 years I guess…" only for the cycle to repeat. And to be honest, even if the Jigglypuff haters did get their way. It would piss off more people then many realize. Some haters of Jigglypuff don't understand the anger that can come from people who experience "They don't know what they had, until it's gone". There are people who have played Jigglypuff since the first game and continuously look forward to seeing Jigglypuff show up in every other game of the series. A moveset that's been apart of Smash Bros. for close to two decades that some people really like enough to play the most with. And if you take that away permanently, you're angering the people who most of them played Jigglypuff in Smash more then half of their lives playing with their main. People get upset with any cuts regardless, fans of Mewtwo from Melee know this quite a bit. But that's all from just one game, imagine the anger of about three different generations of Smash Bros. players (Those that began with SSB64, Melee, and Brawl respectively) that chose Jigglypuff as their favorite character to play as in comparison to just one character which while he was cool, I doubt Mewtwo's disappearance from Brawl could have ever cut nearly as deep into as many people's hearts as if Ness had indeed been replaced by Lucas in Brawl, and yes even if Jigglypuff were to not be playable anymore.

By now, it's just a smarter decision to keep Jigglypuff and the rest of Original 12 for as long as the Smash series is still going. Which is likely for as long as Nintendo is making games. The roster of the original game by now are all pillars of Smash Bros. that should not be tampered with. They all have their place, even if some got in through lucky circumstance. Even if they didn't get in through the same means as Mario, Link, Kirby, or Donkey Kong. They make their own merit from within the Smash Bros. games themselves, that's just how special the Smash Bros. games can be. Appearing more then once endears the character to both old and new fans alike. And thus perpetually gives the character the merit needed to remain a permanent fixture in the series. The way I think it goes is: appear once in Smash Bros., you're interesting enough. Appear twice, you become a beloved part of the series. Appear three times and beyond, you become a pillar of the series, That's just what the Original 12 has done, and the Melee characters that returned in Brawl that are also coming back in Smash 4 have also achieved. Even if Dr. Mario (as a separate character, mind you), my least favorite inclusion in the entire series, had returned in Brawl, and he was once again confirmed for Smash 4. I would be mad, but at that point Dr. Mario would be a staple of the franchise regardless how much I dislike the inclusion and there would be a decent amount of players who want him back. And I would understand that, what's more is that no matter who's in each Smash game. Even with inclusions like Dr. Mario, I pledge myself to complete Classic, Adventure (In the case of Melee anyway), and All-Star with every playable character in the game. So even if I dislike a inclusion, I always promise myself I'll play them enough to receive all the trophies for that character just because I care that much for the Smash series where I'd tolerate playing as any character that the Smash series throws at me for a decent amount of time. The urge to experience everything a Smash Bros. game has to offer is just too great to let my gripes with an inclusion get in the way of that. I don't feel like I've truly fully played a Smash Bros. game until I've defeated Master Hand with every playable character in a Smash game. That's just the way I've been conditioned to approach the Smash Bros. series. A conditioning that began with the first game, when I was watching my own father do it with Link. Smash 64 is the smallest in content in terms of playable characters, things to do, and is inferior on almost every level to the future games. But that doesn't mean it can't hold a special place, as it was the very humble beginnings of a franchise that has become the game series I can never resist to be excited any time that a new Nintendo console comes out with news that a new Smash Bros. is coming to that very console. I would not be the passionate Nintendo fan I am today without the Smash Bros. series. And I can't wait to continue with this 3-4 week retrospective, as we countdown to not just one, but two versions of Smash each guaranteed to have their own set of memories that will be released by the end of the year.

Re: Super Smash Bros. Reflections - Week 1 - Super Smash Bros. 64 Week

Sorry I'm too tired to read all that. I'll do it tomorrow.

Anyway, I bought smash 64 off eBay when I sold my training wheels bicycle. I really enjoyed it but I honestly didn't get the same experience some of you might have because my controllers joystick was faulty and it was the slower PAL version. I enjoyed it though. I would go back to it but it's just too slow for me now. One day I hope I can get my hands on a NTSC n64 and replace my PAL games with the NTSC versions so I can play them how they were supposed to be.

I play Mario usually, with the inverted clothes palette.

This is the one Smash game I haven't played.

The one that started it all, so it deserves respect and attention.

While this game is the 1st one, you have to admit that it is very outdated and that it can't compete with the great games of today. It was a great game when it came out but Melee being strictly better than it, made it not good anymore.

Kart Player 2008 said:
It was a great game when it came out but Melee being strictly better than it, made it not good anymore.

wat

a game can still be good even if the sequels are much better ya know :P

Great idea, sm. Wish I thought of it. :P

Ah, the first one! The one that started it all.

That being said, this is the only one I've never physically owned.

Still, the commercial for this was the earliest commercial I remember. It was the one that introduced me to Nintendo (although my grandma has a Legend of Zelda plate and bowl she says were mine once when I was a baby, so that might not be true).

I do have to say, while the game is of course still small in content even in comparison to Melee. The soundtrack I felt had some really catchy tunes, and something about the retro sound of it made it even better. The music for Dreamland, Yoshi's Story, and Sector Z I felt were particularly catchy.

Gotta give a special note though to the Character Select screen. Which seems to reappear in Smash 4, but as the results screen (The music that plays after you've won a match and after your character's victory theme)

SSB64:

Smash 4:

I think this game is severely underrated and needs much more love.

It's also like the very first video game I played

Calling this game "Super Smash Bros. 64" irritates me though.

Sorry if it's irritating to you Baby Luigi, it's just really the only way I can think of to differentiate the game from being the original on the Nintendo 64 and from Super Smash Bros. referring to the series in general.

That's understandable; I have to do that sometimes myself. Don't take my irritation personally.

I remember first catching wind of Super Smash Bros. when my parents took me to a Barnes and Noble to look for comics after my local comic shop closed down. I can't remember if I bought anything but I do remember seeing some images of Mario fighting Kirby in some now-defunct gaming magazine and just thinking to myself "Yeah, I need this in my life".

I got it at FunCoLand a month or so later with my good report card money. I started it up not knowing what to expect and something awesome happened: I saw Samus for the first time ever. Smash 64 introduced me to the Metroid series and I went a few weeks later to pick up Super Metroid and have been a fan ever since.

Also as an aside, I remember being freaked out by the music that played on the final results screen:

I played this game after I got Melee so part of it was lost on me. The controls are bit weird, and in my honest opinion, it hasn't aged all that well. Still has several fantastic stages like the Sector Z, Saffron City, Yoshi's Story, Dream Land, and DK stage whose name I don't remember. Doesn't mean I don't pop it into the ol' N64 and play it every now and then, though.

Played this one a lot when I was younger, not really that much anymore. And the stages are pretty meh, imo. Still a good game and I think it for starting my interest in the Smash series.

For me, I played Melee, Brawl, then 64, so this is gonna be kind of awkward for me... :p

I played 64 before I picked up Ness in Brawl (I was more into Lucas at the time), so I went with Kirby. Man, it was pretty difficult adjusting from Brawl to 64 though; I kept thinking you could do stuff like side-stepping, get up from the ledge by rolling and other things that I was so used to from Brawl. "Charging" Smashes in this game didn't really feel "charged" either.

But I absolutely love 64's Ness. Not as much as Brawl's Ness (mainly cause I can't get used to Ness' Double Jump Cancel and I'm not the best at controlling PK Thunder in this game), but he's still pretty damn awesome. I'd just spam the hell out of his Down Air and I LOVED his Yo-Yos in 64. Both his throws also have very strong KO potential, as opposed to just his Back Throw in Brawl. It's a bit tricky controlling his PK Thunder here, but I (somehow) manage.

I also really loved Kirby in 64 as well (clearly superior than his Melee and Brawl variant). My god I am glad his Neutral Air isn't that terrible one in Melee and Brawl... That lag is terrible (I believe Melee/Brawl's Neutral Air is his Up Air this game though?). I just love the way Kirby combos and his recovery too.

Same here I can't believe kirby was so amazing in 64 but nerfed terribly in melee.

HIS AERIAL GAME AND HIS EDGEGUARD IS GREAT AND UP B is wicked good and he's one of the few that can counter pikachu.

Sooo 64>>>4>>>Brawl>>>>>>>>>Melee

in terms of kirby that is.

Re: Super Smash Bros. Reflections - Week 2 - Super Smash Bros. Melee Week

Week 2 of the Smash Bros. reflection! This time we're getting to Super Smash Bros. Melee. If Super Smash Bros. 64 was the humble beginnings. It was Melee that really put Smash Bros. on the map in general. It is still the Gamecube's best-selling game. And at least in terms of tournaments, is still played quite a bit even to this day. I have to say though, I don't have as too many memories of Melee in particular that I remember all that vividly. Yeah there was the typical surprise in the unlocking of characters like with Mr. Game and Watch and more. But unlike Smash 64, I don't have any of the special memories of watching my dad play Classic Mode nor was I of course aware of any Pre-Game speculation of who would be in the game like I was for both Brawl and Smash 4. What I'm probably going to be talking about here, is how while I do really think Melee is a great game. It's at least 2nd best in terms of content and my overall enjoyment of the official released games. And I love all the Smash Bros. games quite a bit, so don't get me wrong. It just concerns me however on how there is such a huge rift within the Smash Bros. fanbase whenever you even subtly start a conversation that could lead into an argument on which is the better game between Melee and Brawl. And those who love Melee the most usually have the more insulting remarks about Brawl, as if Brawl was a terrible game while Melee was this masterpiece that will never be matched again. Some of these Melee elitists even disregarding Smash 4 by thinking it will be "Brawl 2.0", heck even Project M despite being made to make Brawl play pretty much a lot like Melee has even been ignored for basically the reason of "It's not Melee!". While I get how the much slower gameplay of Brawl is a legit complaint if you loved how Melee played. There's no need to really shit on the game. Most of this coming from the more very opinionated members of the competitive Smash community. A community that focused a lot of it's tournament on advanced techniques like Wavedashing, L-Canceling, and more. There's a big part of me that doesn't exactly understand this however I must admit. I heard that L-Canceling at one point was a legit thing referenced officially for Smash 64. But as for things like Wavedashing, there's not really any proof if it was a legit advanced technique put in the game or if it was a glitch that was just hard to perform but could make fighters move faster then they would normally. In stuff like Project M they're not because they're legitimately programmed in. But I don't think it was ever made clear if Wavedashing was intended. It's not like there's any instruction in either the booklet or any official Nintendo information that covers things like Wavedashing. It kinda makes you wonder just how it was even discovered in the first place, cause with how difficult it is to perform. Who was experimenting with their controllers to the point where they discovered the advantageous move and ended up telling enough people to completely change the tournament scenes surrounding the game? I suppose because I've never been in or ever interested in going into a tournament (To be honest, having to learn all these advanced techs that take too much time to master are probably the reason why). Maybe that makes me a "scrub" or a "noob" or a "casualfag" but it stands out to me a little that the tournaments for the game can take the series a little too serious sometimes and it has led to people misinterpreting what the Smash series has generally been about to the point where if a Smash game announces a new stage that isn't to the standards of Tournaments or a new item especially if it sounds like it could turn the tide of a match, people complain.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not against the game being played competitively, I love when the series has different ways to play. I just get annoyed when I hear anyone says there is only one true way to play Smash Bros. and if a game seems to cater to something that some people don't want it to. Whether it's leaning towards the competitive scene or the more casual side of the game, they act like the game is a failure because the game isn't what they wanted it to be. This has happened with both competitive people towards Brawl, as well as casuals with Project M and probably Melee as well as a result of the long history Melee has had in tourneys. I also understand and am sure not everyone of each "group" of Smash fan feels that way on either side. It's just sometimes hard to ignore the vocal minority, and I've seen more of the vocal minority that bashes Brawl and praises Melee and/or Project M to no end as well more so then I hear about the vice versa. The last time I heard something of the vice versa, was how I heard someone made a petition to remove "For Glory" from Smash 4's Online. Which no matter how you stand on the issue, is completely stupid.

But enough about competitive play, I understand that there's some who prefer Melee over Brawl even ignoring the competitive aspects. Which I can understand, people have their opinions and I can understand how an old game can feel like they had something over a new game. Nostalgia is a powerful thing, and sometimes even if a new game has a lot more to do. It can sometimes not capture the same type of charm that older games have had. I should know, while I understand Mario Kart 64 was a game that is pretty much objectively worse then most of the Mario Kart games in terms of gameplay. I still feel a certain charm from the game that most of the other games can't really capture. And in some ways I do see why Melee can be seen as objectively the "sharpest" part of the series that even Sakurai has said of the game. It's the fastest of the official games, and overall feels solid most of the time. And it was the first Smash to use the Gamecube controller, which I don't think it needs to be explained further. But the fact that Nintendo made an official Gamecube Adapter for the Wii U is proof enough that Nintendo knows that the consensus that the Gamcube controller is one of the most preferred controllers for Smash Bros when they could of easily tried to force most players to use the more expensive Classic Controller Pro (Seriously one of those controllers will be more expensive then TWO Gamecube Adapters, even if you don't like that they let the Gamecube Controllers be used once again. You can't blame someone for wanting to save money AND use controllers they're more familiar with). So at least from a control aspect, Melee has a huge influence on the rest of the series. And besides the controllers, Melee was the first game with the collectible trophies which turned the Smash Bros. series into not just a mascot fighting game. But an encyclopedia of Nintendo knowledge that both covered well-known characters and the obscure to give us a more larger picture of Nintendo then we ever knew before. Many characters would of faded into obscurity without the trophy collection in Melee. And to this day things like the Trophy collection are one of the things that all-types of NIntendo fans look forward to because longtime-fans get a sense of pride when they know the characters that are being shown in he gallery, and new fans get to learn more about Nintendo and it's many franchises whether they're mainstream or obscure. While Melee seems to have gotten the reputation it has for it's gameplay, it did have the seeds planted for the huge amount of content that future games would have. Brawl (And I'm sure Smash 4 as well) makes Melee's content look small, but nonetheless Melee had an excellent amount of content through the trophies, and it's soundtrack. The combination of all these things really do paint a great picture of what this game accomplished for the series. And despite some of the gripes I have with the game whether it's because of the fans that always bash Brawl but praise this game or how it has the worst overall pool of new characters and/or how they included those new characters that Smash 4 has already passed even though we don't even know the full roster yet. It will remain 2nd best of the first three games for me.

But how about we get to mentioning the roster for a bit. On general Roster Merit, I judge by the pool of Newcomers brought in. Returning characters from previous games should generally be a given if the character deserved a spot in. And even if there was a deserving character that didn't return, there is usually something that makes up for it. Which I'll actually mention next week when I talk about Brawl's roster. And as I said, Melee has the worst of the 4 set of rosters. And I doubt that's going to change, because right now there'd have to be at least 3 newcomers in Smash 4 that are some of the worst inclusions ever to be worse then Melee's. Let me get to the good of Melee's roster first. Peach, Bowser, Zelda, and Mewtwo were all excellent additions to the big 3 of Nintendo. Falco even though he was clone-ish of Fox was a nice addition as well, and we even got a new franchise that was Japanese only until the exposure convinced Nintendo to bring the franchise overseas with Marth and Fire Emblem. Though by far the best addition in the game to me was actually Mr. Game and Watch in my honest opinion just because of how clever it was to include him as the last character you unlocked in the game. Mr. Game and Watch may really be the first true "WTF" character of Smash. But even though he came out of nowhere, it's not like he didn't have his merit as he represents Nintendo gaming prior to even Mario him being 2-Dimensional as well as his Quirky Moveset also made him really stand out among all the characters. Getting to the rest though, Ice Climbers I classify as an ok addition. While I like the Ice Climbers I can never shake this feeling that Ice Climbers was a retro representative done wrong despite their original moveset, because of how they do kinda scream they're only in because Sakurai liked them and/or wanted a duo character. Their game was nothing all that special. Mr. Game & Watch and ROB were better done retro reps because while they were surprises, they represented something that was kind of major in Nintendo's history but Ice Climbers don't to my knowledge. That said, I don't mind them and I look forward to seeing if they return in Smash 4. However from here, the rest of the pool of Melee just doesn't reach the standards that we should expect from the Smash series. While Ganondorf being the villain of the Smash series makes him deserve his spot on his own. The fact he was relegated to a slower, but stronger Captain Falcon boggles the mind to entirely ruin a lot of the merit of being the big, bad guy of one of the Big 3 Nintendo franchises. And while I probably don't need to get too much to the rest since I've already ranted on most of them in the Roster Merit thread. Roy, Pichu, and Dr. Mario especially. Those all are inclusions that really poison the pool of Newcomers enough that I don't think it's even possible at this point for Smash 4 to surpass Melee in Bad choices as of right now. Roy was WAY too early, Pichu was a waste, and Dr. Mario just goes against the idea of Merit in Smash when that is one of the most important things about a Roster in Smash. But I better stop now before I start ranting about the same things I already went over in the aforementioned Merit thread. All-in-all, Melee's weird roster choices do affect me a bit on the game. Because Smash Bros. is a game about Nintendo All-Stars, and when characters get in that clearly haven't proven their worth or has shown to be worthy of being called an All-Star it sticks out. Both SSB64 and Brawl had near perfect Newcomer pools with really only one character that may be a little questionable at times. But Melee had at least three inclusions that were clearly not worthy. As I said in the Merit thread, if the Smash Games were judged entirely on the overall merit of the new characters. Melee would be the worst of the series, it's the excellent gameplay and all the things Melee introduced in the Smash series that make up for some really questionable roster decisions.

Overall, I still love Melee. It just hs some things going against it for me because while there were memorable things, Melee felt like it was "just there" in comparison to what SSB64 and Brawl was for me. I said SSB64 was one of my first games I ever owned. And I'll get to how Brawl has influenced my life when we get to the next week. I do feel like I have real reasons for saying Melee is not the best of the series, but I don't mean any insult by that. There's just both personal and just general feelings that I hope I can convey well enough of why I think Brawl surpassed Melee for me regardless of how nitpicked Brawl is. Cause no game is perfect, I even said some of my gripes with Melee from the roster and the fans who over rely on the competitive aspects with techniques that were likely not too intentional. However some of the things for Smash 4 like faster gameplay, and the Final Destination of most stages I am sure were influenced by that side of Smash. And I'm actually happy that Sakurai and/or Nintendo has been trying to cater to all kinds of Smash fans. And it's just one of the many reasons why Smash 4 might quickly become my favorite Smash game and also my favorite game of all-time as a result. Cause it feels like it will combine some of the best of both worlds between Melee and Brawl. So from that end I am kind of thankful of the mostly Melee audience to providing another side to all this that could make Smash 4 really interesting. While I'll probably always be annoyed with any Melee Vs. Brawl debates, and there's no doubt going to be some Melee Vs. Smash 4, Brawl Vs. Smash 4, and even Project M Vs. Smash 4 that will be just as if not more groan-worthy. I suppose the arguments do provide legit criticisms for Nintendo to address in future Smash games, as while they'll never really make everybody happy. They sure seem like they're trying their hardest to do so.

Ah yes, the best Smash game.

Marth and Dr. Mario are my favorite characters to play.

BTW I won't be able to change the week to say Week 3 - Super Smash Bros. Brawl week immediately next monday as I won't be online that day. Either I'll have to do it tuesday, or if a mod would be kind enough to change the title on September 1st

Re: Super Smash Bros. Reflections - Week 3 - Super Smash Bros. Brawl Week

Well, we're in the last week at least in terms of reflecting on already released games. We still technically have one last week with our reflections on the Smash 4 speculation prior to knowing (for sure I mean, I know there's debate whether or not the leak showed all the characters available in the game until possibly DLC adds more) the Full Roster of Smash 4 around the time of the Japanese release date to go but in terms of going back talking about games already last week. This could count as the Final week. So time to get into Super Smash Bros. Brawl, I have a really huge attachment to the game. There are many personal reasons that I want to go over first before I actually reflect on the game itself. It was the speculation prior to Brawl's release that brought me to internet communities in the first place. In other words, I would not be typing on this forum right now or anything else I've got to do on the internet. Smashboards introduced me to internet forums and I had both great, good, and bad times when I was pretty much a noob to the internet in general. Each new friend I meet and/or fun time I have chatting with said friends just increases my appreciation for my days at Smashboards. Overall, I look back at the speculation phase of Brawl as some really good times as it basically showed me there was more to Smash then ever before. I was only in kindergarten when I got the first Smash Bros., and I was 9 or 10 years old when Melee came out . And when you normally don't get the deeper meanings of things in games cause you're thinking "I can make Mario fight Pikachu, Link, and Kirby!". But Brawl speculation was going on when I was just starting High School where I can understand more about games, and I learned how Smash Bros. was a series that included the most iconic characters and how there was a specific criteria for a character to be in Smash. The Smash Bros. DOJO! updates were also generally a really great idea even if for some it felt like they knew everything about the game by the time the game released. While technically the Pic of the Day is very much like the Dojo, the Dojo for Brawl was almost always assured to both show something and explain it. And we never knew if it was going to be a character, a new item, a game mechanic, music, etc.

While just like the Pic of the Days there were disappointing updates like I remember how mad people were when they stayed up all night only for the update to just be about Bananas. But the reason was that most updates were actually quite interesting, sometimes newcomer reveals would completely come out of nowhere on the Dojo. With Smash 4, we pretty much almost always knew a newcomer was coming cause all of them have been revealed in special events like E3 or in a Nintendo Direct. But in Brawl's Dojo, it could just spontaneously happen and even the one time where there was an expected reveal of some kind was E3 2006 where even then we got quite a bit of new characters announced with Wario, Pit, Meta Knight, Zero Suite Samus, and by far the most surprising announcement: Solid Snake. But otherwise Pokemon Trainer, Ike, Lucas, Olimar, and even Sonic the Hedgehog were announced on completely random days and it made it more interesting then having characters revealed for anniversaries because it was literally like a character could be announced at any moment at times. I remember being the noob I was days before Pokemon Trainer's reveal and trying to be the smartass by saying "How is Pokemon trainer going to fight?" and then just days later I looked like an idiot when Pokemon Trainer was revealed. Which I wasn't mad about it, I learned a good lesson from it actually. Just because a character seems initially hard to see how they would fight, it doesn't mean there's no absolute way to include them. And using different evolutionary forms of the three Generation 1 Starters was clever to me.

But of course my favorite reveal was of course none other then Sonic the Hedgehog's. Because there's not a lot of people who can say they got their dream inclusion in Smash Bros. I got into the Sonic series around the same time I got Melee, when I got both Sonic Adventure 2 Battle & Sonic Mega Collection on the Gamecube. I have been a huge Sonic fan since, and when I heard Solid Snake who was not a Nintendo owned character, was announced for Brawl. My heart raced and my highest hopes for Sonic getting in the game immediately rose to it's height. And on October 10th, 2007, I got my wish. And I still look back at that day as one of the happiest of my life still. And I remember the internet going crazy about this news. Sonic the Hedgehog, the main character of a franchise I've come to love pretty much just as much as Mario was going to be in the series that I grew up with since I started playing video games. What's more the trailer even used just the right music, in fact just like with the Smash 64 commercial, let me link the video to the Sonic Joins the Brawl video

The fact it used Live & Learn made it even better. Because Sonic Adventure 2: Battle was and still is my favorite Sonic game. And it even fit well when you consider that Brawl celebrates the Gamecube era. (While I still was happy with Sonic's short return video for Smash 4, I do feel they should have used Reach for the Stars or even Endless Possibilities. Cause why use a song that was already in Brawl and was another Gamecube title? I still was very happy to know Sonic was returning in Smash 4 but it was quite underwhelming compared to Sonic's initial reveal for Brawl). I don't think there's any character reveal that will ever make me more happy then the day Sonic was revealed. It was just a dream come true. A game can feel really special when it pretty much grants one of your greatest wishes. Sonic getting in a Super Smash Bros. game before Solid Snake's reveal always felt like a Pipe dream, and in fact even with Solid Snake. Sonic almost didn't get in, it was due to how requested he was that he got included in the game. The game even got delayed somewhat longer just to include him. If that isn't proof enough on how particularly special Sonic's inclusion was. I don't know what is. Between so many characters that are considered popularly requested like Ridley, King K. Rool, Little Mac, and more. It's Sonic the Hedgehog who's demand was so high that Nintendo had to delay the game just to negotiate with Sega and get him in the game. That takes some serious work to convince a company to include a last minute inclusion. And I think it was worth it, Sonic really completes the Brawl cast of Newcomers. Which I should also get to explaining why Brawl's roster is still the best out of the 4 games.

It's just that was so many new inclusions in Brawl. A grand total of 15 Newcomers (Or 18 if you count Pokemon Trainer as 3 Characters as well as Zero Suit Samus). Each of them were well deserving in some way. From E3 2006 alone they started with a bang by including Wario and Meta Knight which were great additions to their franchises. Pit also provided a nice revival of a retro series, and of course as I said before Solid Snake was the franchise's most shocking reveal being the first 3rd Party in the series. That's just amplified by the fact I don't think anyone would of expected Snake would be the choice for the first 3rd Party. That day the internet exploded in a different way then Sonic's reveal and it truly left an impression in the Smash Bros. series. Snake's inclusion paved the way for Sonic's inclusion later on, as well as Megaman & Pac-Man's in Smash 4. While there are some people who don't like how he was in at all since he's not really known for being that relevant to Nintendo. And he may very well not be returning in Smash 4, I do feel that if he is indeed not in (LIke he won't even show up as DLC as well) that he will be assuredly the most missed just because of his impact on the Smash Bros. series. Regardless of how he "doesn't fit" and while I can shake it off fine if he's not in cause I'd understand why, it just will be a shame to not only lose a character that had a perfectly good moveset and personality to add to Smash. But also lose a character that really has stood out in terms of impact on the franchise. It's unique inclusions like Snake that makes Brawl's roster truly stand out even compared against the Original 12. After E3, we would also end up getting Diddy Kong, Pokemon Trainer, Ike, Lucas, Sonic, King Dedede, and Olimar. All of which were excellent inclusions that rounded out the franchises they franchises more or included a new franchise that was truly worthy of an inclusion. Lucas' inclusion worried me about Ness of which I talked about before in the Merit section. Though the sadness of having possibly lost a character that was part of the franchise in the beginning but then ended up being in the game anyway also provided another special feeling that only Brawl really brought. I think how much I missed Ness was why I started using him more and he ended up becoming one of my mains, and I am very gracious to see Ness will indeed return once more. Though speaking of the final roster. There were at least four newcomers in Brawl that we didn't know about until around the Japanese release of Brawl: Toon Link, ROB, Lucario, and Wolf. Most of them are pretty ok inclusions as well, Toon Link is one I kinda question but really it's just the same complaints I have with Young Link. And at least Toon Link is preferrable since it is actually a different Link instead of well… the same Link but younger. That said, Toon Link may as well be Young Link. It's the only inclusion in Brawl that I don't really get, but at this point Sakurai just likes having a younger Link. Both Young Link and Toon Link are just "Eh" inclusions and is pretty much the only reason why I say Brawl's roster is near-perfect instead of well… perfect. But anyway, there's a reason why quite a lot of people wanted no cuts in Smash 4 speculation regardless of how small the chances of that was, Brawl's Roster overtime has become one of the most perfect rosters out of any video game that includes characters from Multiple franchises. The fact it brought back the Original 12, most of the good inclusions from Melee, as well as cut the 3 worst inclusions of the series that were in Melee made things even better. While there was the fact Mewtwo couldn't make it due to time constraints, and as of yet. It's only the Pokemon franchise that has suffered cuts even if they had their own movesets (Mewtwo between Melee and Brawl, Ivysaur & Squirtle between Brawl and Smash 4. Though I do suspect we'll probably get at least one character that had a 100% unique moveset in Brawl (Likely Snake, and seemingly Ice Climbers too) that won't return to Smash 4 other then the Pokemon Trainer's Pokemon. Which we'll find out for sure next week). And I'd actually rather have most of the new inclusions we got in Brawl then Mewtwo. Having Mewtwo would of made it better, but not having him just doesn't make it feel worse to me. I've said before I didn't shed much of a tear for Mewtwo not being playable when I felt a hole was in my heart when I thought Ness was gone. I don't know why to be honest with you, but I suppose the difference of being in two Smash Bros. games instead of just one was just that significant of how much I care about a character in Smash. Brawl's Roster just ended up being amazing and having a roster this great is actually a significant reason to why Brawl is my favorite. I don't even think Smash 4's going to surpass the Newcomer pool that Brawl had. Smash 4 has a few that easily rank up or even higher then a lot of Brawl's inclusions but it also has questionable inclusions that are more closer to some of the questionable inclusions Melee's roster had. But on a Gameplay & Content perspective though it could still end up being my favorite of the Smash Games.

Which I should probably get to finally covering gameplay in concern to Brawl. I just want to say even though I did say my gripes with people who bash Brawl's gameplay. I can kinda understand with where they're coming from. The gameplay is much slower and more floaty, some of the new items were more unfair, and admittedly there were more gimmicky stages in Brawl in comparison to the previous games. I can admit that it's a little jarring if you're used to Melee's more fast-pace. But I still found the game enjoyable, I probably put more hours into playing Brawl then either Melee or 64. With Brawl and Project M combined I've done more then 10,000 Vs. matches with just Sonic alone. And don't forget all the rest of the stuff you can do in the game like all the 1 Player modes and the Story Mode in Subspace Emissary.

I do also have a bit of a confession to make that I haven't played normal Brawl in a while ever since I got Project M. But that has nothing to do with me preferring Melee's more competitive friendly pace. The main reasons I got it, was because I knew Sonic was made a lot better. While I played as Sonic almost all the time anyway despite how he wasn't really anywhere near the best characters of the game. To have a Sonic with more KO power and even the ability to spike was just too much for me to pass up. But besides Sonic being a much better character in Project M, I also got it for the modding capabilities. I can give the characters cool Alternate Costumes, one of which I had was Classic Sonic which works pretty much perfectly. I've voice modded Sonic to have his Adventure series voice instead of Jason Griffith. And I have all the N64 Stages, including SSB64 Battlefield and Final Destination as selectable stages thanks to the Stage Expansion mod I got. I didn't get Project M as a better gameplay option in Brawl, I got it to EXPAND Brawl. To me Project M is nothing more then a fanmade expansion pack. And what's more, I don't like it when people treat Project M as if it's a completely different game. Um, I'm sorry but to play Project M, what's the name of the game of the Disc you put in the game in your Wii and/or Wii U? That's right. It's still Brawl. You can't call something a entirely different game just because the Gameplay is changed to be closer to an earlier game in the series. Project M only reminds me of when I had a whole bunch of mods for Star Wars Battlefront, where you can add new maps and make all the classes better. There was even mods that changed the speed of gameplay by having things more realistic like having just one laser shot able to kill even if it was just from a pistol. It changes the Gameplay quite a bit when you do that, but that does that make it an entirely different game? Of course not. You can customize your Project M to make the characters brighter or make all the characters from Melee in the game have their Melee voices as well as return the Melee announcer. But the matter of fact is that Project M cannot exist without Brawl's existence in the first place. The dev team for Project M could not have made a lot of their resources from the ground up, they mainly just tweaked the gameplay. And any attempts to try to disguise Project M as "Not Brawl" is only going to make people look more insecure with themselves that they can't face the truth that they're just playing a Brawl mod and they're just trying to pretend that Project M is still Melee or a "true" sequel to Melee. What should describe it is not as a separate game that should be compared to the official games, but rather just an improvement of Brawl where all the characters have something about them that makes them more viable fighters then some of the characters were normally in Brawl as well as the option to place in new Alternate Costumes, Stages, Music, and even change the voices of the characters. For me it's "I get to add some more cool stuff to my favorite game of all-time (For now at least)?! AWESOME!" not "The gameplay is SO much better then Brawl". I would of still gotten Project M if all it changed was make the characters better and the ability to customize the costumes, music, and stages and the game still played like Brawl. Of course Project M is better then Brawl, it's Brawl all on itself but with the ability to mod the game without resorting to hacks. I just don't count it as a separate game generally cause a new Smash Game is more then just the gameplay itself to me. As long as a Smash game generally sticks to "Damage your foe to high percentages and then try to knock them off the edge of the stage" which all Smash Bros. games have sticked to in it's Main Gameplay, then the Gameplay's good enough already because Smash Bros. always makes it smooth even if the games don't have the same speed. The two most well-known rip-offs of Smash don't do it as well (Playstation All-Stars requires you to charge up a Super to get a KO, that would be like you can only KO if you got the Final Smash. And Cartoon Network: Punchtime Explosion was just not given the care that Smash Bros. normally gets (I've only tried the 3DS one though, I don't know if the Console one was any better)).

Enough about Project M though. And I think I'm going to start wrapping it up now. Cause my reflections is probably getting long enough (I'm sorry my things are kinda long, but I hope it just tells you how passionate I am about the Smash Bros. series that I bother to go off on a tangent on particular things of the series). All I want to say is I stand by that I tend to find each Smash game better then the last, and that has remained still from Melee to Brawl. And I'm willing to guess that Smash 4 might even surpass Brawl even if it looks like it might not have as good of a Newcomer pool this time around, and may cut at least one character from Brawl that really left an impact. But it's because Smash 4 has a certain new addition to the series that really takes Smash Bros. to a place that could make the game astronomically much better to replay then all the previous Smash games combined which I wish to talk about in the final week of reflections. Where we'll only be days away from knowing the Final roster for sure as well. Which when we do, we'll be talking about the overall merit of the Newcomer pool, celebrating the return of most of the veterans, and maybe even checking up a bit on anything that we learn about our favorite characters already confirmed from what Japanese fans discover in the two weeks prior the North American release. I'll see you then.

The tripping. THE TRIPPING

I don't see why Brawl has so much hate, it's still a good game on its own, especially when it comes to fun.

Melee was basically one of my first games and first smash, so yeah and stuff.

Brawl is an awful, highly skewed game where Mario sucks ballz.

If it weren't for the mods, I wouldn't be playing it anymore.

For a long time Brawl was the only Smash I had played and I loved it, the visuals, the music, the variety of characters and the cutscenes where the characters actually interact.

Then I bought Melee and when it comes down to the core gameplay I feel Melee is far superior, but everything else I feel Brawl improved upon, which is why I'm still trying making a PAL conversion of Project M.

Though I'll never forget the first time I saw the Sonic Joins the Brawl trailer, it was such a weird but awesome feeling seeing two of gaming's biggest icons and rivals actually being in the same game that isn't a leisurely party game.

fantastic game

I think Brawl is the reason my interest in Smash was killed

Back