Unpopular opinions about the Super Smash Bros series.

Unless you meant his old one from Brawl and Smash 4

UpSmash.jpg

Man I dread when the next Smash bros game comes out, if you thought the whole Melee obsession back in the late 2000's-early 2010's was bad imagine what it's gonna be like with the more unsavory SSBU fans

The Smash fanbase has always been terrible, I don't see any change since the Melee days.

The Smash fanbase has always been terrible, I don't see any change since the Melee days.

It's always been terrible yes but that's not what we're saying the sorta 'Melee is God anyone who disagrees is factually wrong Excetra, excetra' generally got more tame as the years went on but that sort of fan vitriol is surely gonna be reawoken with a SSBU skin when in the next game when they're gonna have to cut so many characters and with whatever other changes they'll make.

I'd like to believe no one expects smash 6 to be anywhere near what ultimate has given us, there's just no way they'll be able to do this again, and it's probably unlikely that they can just pull a "hey come join the series again everyone" like they did after smash 4.

Like, I guess my unpopular opinion will be that smash 6 is going to have to change the core gameplay in someway (possibly with dumb gimmicks or something) to make the series fresh for next time, otherwise the disappointment of so much lost content will be like smash 4's but in triplicate. On the plus side, if they don't have to spend all their time doing an admittedly good job of balancing 80 fighters, maybe we can get a really cool adventure mode again.

I'd like to believe no one expects smash 6 to be anywhere near what ultimate has given us, there's just no way they'll be able to do this again, and it's probably unlikely that they can just pull a "hey come join the series again everyone" like they did after smash 4.
If you think Smash fans are that rational you don't know smash fans
Like, I guess my unpopular opinion will be that smash 6 is going to have to change the core gameplay in someway (possibly with dumb gimmicks or something) to make the series fresh for next time, otherwise the disappointment of so much lost content will be like smash 4's but in triplicate. On the plus side, if they don't have to spend all their time doing an admittedly good job of balancing 80 fighters, maybe we can get a really cool adventure mode again.

TBH I don't think it'll be like Smash 4 I feel it'll be more like Brawl in a sense, these things usually come in threes (stay with me)

You have the game that's great when it comes out but is VASTLY lacking in single player and is sorta primitive. the next game is generally just an improved version of this and is released soon after so once it's out the former game is generally forgotten (Smash 64 and Smash 4)

The most well received game seen as near perfect by the community, it's competitive community thrives, it introduces quite a few fan favorite characters as well as quite a few clones, it has better single player than the last but it's not perfect, it's not got a story mode but an adventure mode that while having some great moments it quickly devolves to just slightly specialized matches, it's core gameplay is considered the best, cuts no-one (Melee, Ultimate)

And currently all we know about the next game is that Sakurai said there would be cuts and given how many fighters there's looking to be in Ultimate there probably gonna take out quite a few of the clones and probably have to cut of a couple more popular character and it's gonna be a loooooooong while until we get the next game. Given how they can't just sell the same game again but with less characters they'll probably beef up the single player to make that it's unique selling point, sorta like Brawl? Probably not, I'm likely overthinking things

If you think Smash fans are that rational you don't know smash fans

No, you're right, I don't really deal with the genuinely gross part of the fandom, so I tend to assume everyone is just being ironic when they spam about Waluigi and Goku and that people know what's actually likely for the series. I want to say it's a small minority that are the outspokenly toxic fans, but that minority is probably bigger than I realize.

TBH I don't think it'll be like Smash 4 I feel it'll be more like Brawl in a sense, these things usually come in threes (stay with me)

You have the game that's great when it comes out but is VASTLY lacking in single player and is sorta primitive. the next game is generally just an improved version of this and is released soon after so once it's out the former game is generally forgotten (Smash 64 and Smash 4)

The most well received game seen as near perfect by the community, it's competitive community thrives, it introduces quite a few fan favorite characters as well as quite a few clones, it has better single player than the last but it's not perfect, it's not got a story mode but an adventure mode that while having some great moments it quickly devolves to just slightly specialized matches, it's core gameplay is considered the best, cuts no-one (Melee, Ultimate)

And currently all we know about the next game is that Sakurai said there would be cuts and given how many fighters there's looking to be in Ultimate there probably gonna take out quite a few of the clones and probably have to cut of a couple more popular character and it's gonna be a loooooooong while until we get the next game. Given how they can't just sell the same game again but with less characters they'll probably beef up the single player to make that it's unique selling point, sorta like Brawl? Probably not, I'm likely overthinking things

That's an interesting way to see it, I always thought of it in a different way that kind of comes to the same conclusions. Either we both overthink this, or maybe neither of us do:

64 comes out- it's a quick and easy idea that was almost just some niche Japan exclusive
Melee comes out soon after- expands hugely upon what 64 could've been had they known it'd do great, and gives all kinds of great singleplayer content

Brawl comes out- manages to retain basically the whole spectrum of content Melee had (sans Mewtwo), but with much better Adventure mode. The gameplay feels the most unusual in the series personally, and I think this one kind of stands on it's own just because it is the most isolate game in terms of release dates.

Smash 4- Here the content spectrum starts get lost, classic mode is watered down, adventure mode is a board game, certain characters had to be cut. It's kind of a fresh start for the series. (Can't say anything about the 3DS version but I guess you could argue adventure mode became Smash Run)
Ultimate comes out "soon" after- builds right on top of 4 and fills in most missing pieces, classic mode is back, adventure mode is kind of back, no character cuts.

The next game is most definitely going to be a long wait like Brawl was, which means it's most likely going to feel like a black sheep again, but maybe they can retain the gamemode and singleplayer content from last game while expanding upon Adventure mode more like Brawl did. The big difference here is going to be that the significant character losses are going to be much more than just Mewtwo this time... unless they find a dozen newcomers that are interesting enough that you forget again.

With regards to the competitive community thriving in the second of the trios, I'm pretty sure Brawl and Smash 4 had very sizable communities, but it's just Melee was always what you heard about and thought of foremost. I can't say anything personally about Brawl's, but I'd be surprised if Smash 4's competitive scene was much different in size compared to Ultimate's with respect to release dates.

That's an interesting way to see it, I always thought of it in a different way that kind of comes to the same conclusions. Either we both overthink this, or maybe neither of us do:

The next game is most definitely going to be a long wait like Brawl was, which means it's most likely going to feel like a black sheep again, but maybe they can retain the gamemode and singleplayer content from last game while expanding upon Adventure mode more like Brawl did.

I hope so too, Subspace 2 would be rad. Granted they improve on what came before (And bring back the Subspace trio) , I love that game mode but man does it have some blemishes.

Footstooling is a mechanic that needs to have an option to turn off.

Why? Because I play in the mode where it stops being useful and starts being obnoxious. In a free-for-all you may have noticed that footstooling stops ALL momentum from a guy you launched. This has happened WAY too many times when the CPU has, like, an auto-footstool button that prevented me from securing a KO because I launched someone at 195%; I've been saved by footstools myself many times and it's never a good feeling. I've also got early deaths way too many times because CPUs were trying to recover like I do, and I'd rather get properly edge guarded than have some lackey surprise stomp me. Footstooling also stops being useful in free-for-all as it requires too much setup and is highly prone to getting interrupted; if you try footstooling, it puts you in a vulnerable position and you WILL either get interrupted or attacked. You might say, well, free-for-all is just a "bad" way to play Smash since you can't combo; well, no, it's just that the approach to fighting people is way different from the conventional 3-stock 1v1/2v2 setup; you can still combo but you have to be mindful when and where you can and which ones are safe and efficient. Footstool detracts from the gameplay as it's better suited to 1v1 and no one really complains and talks about footstool comboes (which are useless when many people are fighting).

I've manually turned off footstooling myself by opening common.prc and setting parameters appropriately and I noticed an almost immediate quality of life improvement from my games.

edge guarding is intended, otherwise spikes would be useless

also there is no intended way of playing Smash, otherwise there wouldn't be so many options on how to play it

then learn how to deal with edge guarding, it's a basic part of playing Smash and learning how to use it and deal with it enhances you skill as a player

You were meant to play Smash with items on, Hazards on, and Edge-Guarding off.
Footstools aren't the only means of edge-guarding if that's what's implied from the post.

You can't turn off "edge guarding"; edge guarding is a general term referring to a set of techniques intended to prevent recoveries from hitting the ledge. It can be simple as Kirby b-airing Ganondorf, or it can be a meteor knuckle, it can be a strong f-air from Ganondorf, it can be Falco halting Luigi's second jump prematurely, or it can be something more elaborate like Mario using FLUDD and then caping.

Edge guarding as a concept is fine. What I don't like is that I get launched, two more CPUs get launched or try edge guarding me or footstool me while I'm trying to recover, and then since CPUs have auto-footstool, it's sometimes better to just botch a recovery to try interrupting attempted footstools than get footstooled. It kills fun for me. But that's a side effect, my main beef with it is how it stops anyone getting launched dead in their tracks.

edge guarding is intended, otherwise spikes would be useless

also there is no intended way of playing Smash, otherwise there wouldn't be so many options on how to play it
Spikes ARE a form of edge-guarding though?

Last edited:
Wall teching needs to be completely disabled at higher percents. It's what prolongs caves of lives to even more unbearable levels and it just plain sucks that you land a really good blow and the opponent just techs and you land another one and the opponent techs AGAIN and then maybe your opponent kills you afterward.

Dark Matter should have been Kirby's boss battle instead of Marx. I get that Marx is popular by virtue of being in a far more popular Kirby game, but I felt that Dark Matter's multiple forms made it a better boss battle. Plus, it acknowledges Kirby's "road less taken" branch that is ignored quite often.

Thank you for reading.

What would be the most hype-generating thing for me nowadays would be not a new character, but something along the lines of a "Travel Anywhere" DLC where stages from all the series are in the game (with a caveat that some stages cannot be used for Stage Morph like that Wii U DK stage).

Also announcement of the return of this glorious magnificent item
Falcon_parasol.jpg

as well as the rest of the missing items like Cloaking Device, Barrel Cannon, Cracker Launcher, Red Shell, Fan (which was hilarious busted in Barlw), Flipper, and the Spring (????).

I don't like the direction Smash Ultimate did for its character select screen, and it's so much easier to navigate if it was organized by series more like this

5d420da7cd817.webp

I actually kind of like Enviromental Noises, and I have it turned on for Garden of Hope. I think it's nice to fight to some ambient background noise every once in a while. This is also the reason I have the original Electroplankton music from Brawl turned on for Hanenbow.

Back