Worst Mario Kart Items?

What top three Mario Kart items do you want to invite to your party and then beat the hell out of th

• Banana

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Triple Bananas

• Blooper

Votes: 11 29.7%
  • Bob-omb

• Boo

Votes: 1 2.7%
  • Boomerang Flower

Votes: 2 5.4%
  • Bowser Shell

• Bullet Bill/Chain Chomp

• Coin

Votes: 16 43.2%
  • Crazy 8/Lucky Seven

• Yoshi Egg/Birdo Egg

• Fake Item Box

Votes: 7 18.9%
  • Feather

• Fireball

• Fire Flower

• Giant Banana

• Golden Mushroom

• Green Shell

• Triple Green Shells

• Heart

• Mega Mushroom

• Mushroom

• Triple Mushrooms

• Potted Piranha Plant

• POW Block

• Red Shell

• Triple Red Shells

• Spiny Shell

Votes: 12 32.4%
  • Star

• Super Horn

• Super Leaf

• Thunderbolt

• Thunder Cloud

Votes: 11 29.7%
  • A Mario Kart Arcade GP item

• Total voters
Least Worst to Most Worst

3. Blooper
This item is absolutely useless and just sprays ink at you, nuff said.

2. Thunder Cloud
Thank god this was not in Mario Kart 7, this item is crap. When you get the item it makes you use it automatically under any circumstances. And unless you bump into another player/CPU, YOU GET ZAPPED BY LIGHTNING YOURSELF.

Aand the worst item is...
1. Spiny Shell
1. It hits anybody in 1st place, this why I go back when someone has a Spiny Shell in online multiplayer.
2. It is useless when you get one because it only helps the Player/CPU in 2nd Place, not 6th Place.
3. In Mario Kart 7 they made the Spiny Shell WORSE, they removed the wings and now they can attack Non-1st place players! Uugh.

1. Coin

Oh god, there's a red shell coming at me on the final lap... Oh good, an item box! *gets coin* FFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

2. Thunder Cloud

Why does this item exist? The only reason it's not #1 is because you get a speed boost and you can pass it off.

3. Blooper (PRE-MK8)

This item does nothing. On handheld games you can just look at the bottom screen, and on consoles it barely covers the screen. However, they buffed it in MK8 to actually make it useful by reducing traction.

Dishonorable Mentions
Super Leaf
Spiny Shell
Lightning
POW Block

DragonFreak said:
Lario said:
I honestly like the Fake Item Box. It may be another Banana, but I still like to place it where it's likely to hit someone.
But you can't drag it behind you and that's why I don't like it.

Yes you can...?

Unikitty said:
1. Spiny Shell
2. It is useless when you get one because it only helps the Player/CPU in 2nd Place, not 6th Place.
3. In Mario Kart 7 they made the Spiny Shell WORSE, they removed the wings and now they can attack Non-1st place players! Uugh.
Don't those two KINDA contradict?

GalacticPetey said:
You can. It can't shield you from anything though.
Unless you're playing Mario Kart 64.

I once versed a hacker online, they began using items before the race started. They hit me with Thunder Cloud, then made another one, so the one I had disappeared. When the race started, I had a permanent boost throughout the entire race. They chased me and threw shells or whatever, but Blue Shells did nothing and I'd be max speed the next second anyway. Therefore I can't hate the thunder cloud.

Unikitty said:
1. Spiny Shell
1. It hits anybody in 1st place, this why I go back when someone has a Spiny Shell in online multiplayer.
Just looking for some clarification, but why do you think the third point makes it worse? It gets rid of Point 2, as it now helps the thrower ever more by bowling over players in front of them, not just first.

Maᴙio said:
Cirdec said:
Baby Man said:
Runner-Ups
Yoshi Egg (partially because it's Yoshi's special item)

How is the Yoshi Egg a bad item? It is a buffed red shell which appears often.
I'll answer for my sister for several reasons:

• Limited range
  • Buggier AI than the Red Shell
  • The way the Egg tosses items when it bursts has potential to help the opponent. I've been hit by Eggs, or I've even deflected Eggs, and it spits out a Star that I then take. Items that directly help your enemies aren't bad, they're terrible.

• If it doesn't hit the opponent, you get the possible good items spawned.
  • Red shells already have meh AI so it doesn't change much and if it misses, see first point.
  • You will likely be able to get only the middle item if you get touched, so you don't have much chance to get a mushroom or a star. The laucher have better chance to get the good items.

Cirdec said:
Maᴙio said:
Cirdec said:
Baby Man said:
Runner-Ups
Yoshi Egg (partially because it's Yoshi's special item)

How is the Yoshi Egg a bad item? It is a buffed red shell which appears often.
I'll answer for my sister for several reasons:

• Limited range
  • Buggier AI than the Red Shell
  • The way the Egg tosses items when it bursts has potential to help the opponent. I've been hit by Eggs, or I've even deflected Eggs, and it spits out a Star that I then take. Items that directly help your enemies aren't bad, they're terrible.

• If it doesn't hit the opponent, you get the possible good items spawned.
  • Red shells already have meh AI so it doesn't change much and if it misses, see first point.
  • You will likely be able to get only the middle item if you get touched, so you don't have much chance to get a mushroom or a star. The laucher have better chance to get the good items.
  • If the opponent has a heart, you don't benefit at all.
  • Opponents can easily turn to get benefits.
    • Missing the opponent is more likely to hurt you.
    • Still has worse AI than Red Shell, which, as you brought out, is already bad.
    • Still gets stopped by regular Bananas.

Besides, the egg can spawn a bob-omb which can totally eff you up.

The Egg CAN benefit you, but it's just not a reliable item to use, especially if it helps your enemies OR hurts you. All items can backfire, badly, but the Egg has much more potential to backfire due to its spawning bob-ombs and helping the opponent with Mushrooms. It's good to take advantage of the timer the egg is on while you're first, throwing the egg and finding its items later, but it's still a risk.

Ninelevendo said:
Since when do you get specials in first?

You can get some specials in first such as the big banana, Bowser shell and the Yoshi egg. Maybe the fireballs as well but I am not sure.

Cirdec said:
Ninelevendo said:

You can get some specials in first such as the big banana, Bowser shell and the Yoshi egg. Maybe the fireballs as well but I am not sure.
Nah, no fireballs unless you're really lucky, same goes for Bowser shell. I' the one who combos Luigi and Bowser Jr.

Ninelevendo said:
Cirdec said:
Ninelevendo said:

Nah, no fireballs unless you're really lucky, same goes for Bowser shell. I' the one who combos Luigi and Bowser Jr.

...Fireballs are TOTALLY obtainable in first, and not even that rare either

Ninelevendo said:
You can get Egg, Fireballs, Bowser Shell, Bob-omb, Giant Banana, and Triple Shells in first.

Somebody doesn't have a great memory of Double Dash.

Maᴙio said:
Ninelevendo said:
You can get Egg, Fireballs, Bowser Shell, Bob-omb, Giant Banana, and Triple Shells in first.

Somebody doesn't have a great memory of Double Dash.

It's been A WHILE since I last played Double Dash

I seriously never get specials in first. Probably because I do actually have a BJ driver, BL item thrower (Chain Chomp is never a first place item) in a Bullet Blaster. And it has been a while since I last played it, despite being younger most of you guys.

Here are what I consider the worst items.
10th: Green Shell.
Green Shell - Mario Kart Wii.png

The Green Shell isn't a bad item, but it's quite hard to aim with this thing, and you're better off using it for defensive purposes. It's more effective than the Banana, though.

9th: Banana.
Banana - Mario Kart Wii.png

Again, not bad, it's just not ideal for offensive purposes and is better used defensively. Also, it's the least effective item, though its effect varies depending on the game,

8th: Super Leaf.
Brown Super Leaf - Mario Kart Wii.png

This item not only looks stupid on the karts, but isn't really that useful. It has a tiny attack range, and you have to swing your tail at the right time in order to block items.

7th: Spiny Shell.
Blue Spiny Shell - Mario Kart Wii.png

While it's frustrating to be hit by this item, the reason it's on my list is because it isn't really that helpful to the user. You will receive this item when you're in the back of the pack, and while Mario Kart 7 makes it a little bit better by allowing you to hit other players, it still isn't going to help you close the gap.

6th: Fake Item Box.
Fake Item Box - Mario Kart Wii.png

The Fake Item Box is just a worse version of the Banana, as it doesn't block items behind you. While you can hide it with regular Item Boxes, in general, it's just too easy to spot a fake box, as it's usually colored red. No wonder it has been removed from recent installments.

5th: Blooper.
Blooper - Mario Kart Wii.png

How has the Blooper stuck around for so long? It squirts ink on all racers ahead of the user, but it's a minor inconvenience, since the player can see where they're going. It has been slightly improved in Mario Kart 8, but not enough to make it a good item.

4th: Coin.
Coin - Mario Kart Wii.png

Easily the most useless item in Mario Kart. There are Coins everywhere on the track, so why would you need one from an Item Box? It also gives you a minuscule speed boost that you won't even notice. For the next game, Coins should be removed from Item Boxes. The next three items on the list are somehow worse than the Coin, but thankfully, they are only in Mario Kart Wii.

3rd: Mega Mushroom.
Mega Mushroom - Mario Kart Wii.png

I feel like Nintendo has run out of ideas when coming up with new items for Mario Kart Wii, as proven by the Mega Mushroom. This thing is just a watered down Star, and I feel like it's a huge insult to that spectacular item. It grows you in size and allows you to flatten opponents. It's really annoying when you're near a Mega Mushroom driver, because once you see that icon, you will be flattened to a near standstill, and your race will basically be over. I'm glad this thing is only in Mario Kart Wii.

2nd: POW Block.
POW Block - Mario Kart Wii.png

The POW Block is the textbook definition of nightmare fuel, and it's an absolute menace to society. This watered down Lightning clone appears above the kart and sends an earthquake to all racers ahead of the user. The POW Block appears WAY TOO OFTEN, as it can appear up to five times per race, sometimes even more! It's generally unavoidable, and the worst part is that you'll lose your items unless you're in the air. Good thing Mario Kart Wii has a lot of airtime, because otherwise, this would be the worst Mario Kart item ever. Once you see the POW Block icon above your kart, you will get nightmares that you will be unable to recover from, and your race will basically be over. Thank God this nightmarish menace is only in Mario Kart Wii.

1st: Thunder Cloud.
Thunder Cloud - Mario Kart Wii.png

Here it is, the only Mario Kart item that actively harms you more than it helps. The Thunder Cloud gives you a decent boost in speed, but then you shrink if you don't pass it off to another racer. To make matters worse, you can get this in middle positions in a 12 player race (3rd to 7th), so the Thunder Cloud will just add to the pain. The POW Block may be terrifying, but at least I can get relief from actually using it. The Thunder Cloud is punishment that I am forced into. Thankfully, it's only in Mario Kart Wii, and let's hope this item and the other two Wii exclusive items never return.

Last edited:
As far as Double Dash special items go, I still hate the Egg. Its range isn't anywhere good like a red shell. It can throw out Mushrooms and the very occasional star, but it also explodes into green shells and bananas (and Bob-Ombs) which gives you more obstacles to avoid. And it's surprisingly shorter ranged than you think for a homing item. Red Shells are generally better than Eggs but I guess you can toss eggs while you're first and go for star I guess.

Gee I can certainly tell the age difference between 2014 me and 2021 me on the other hand.

Last edited:
As far as Double Dash special items go, I still hate the Egg. Its range isn't anywhere good like a red shell. It can throw out Mushrooms and the very occasional star, but it also explodes into green shells and bananas (and Bob-Ombs) which gives you more obstacles to avoid. And it's surprisingly shorter ranged than you think for a homing item. Red Shells are generally better than Eggs but I guess you can toss eggs while you're first and go for star I guess.

Gee I can certainly tell the age difference between 2014 me and 2021 me on the other hand.

Agreed, the Yoshi/Birdo Egg isn't really that good. I'm glad it hasn't returned for future installments (not counting Tour).

The coin is still a stupid item, but reading my posts in 2014 feels like a time capsule lol.

Back