Which set of Characters would you rather have had in Melee?

6 Clones or 1 Unique

• Total voters
I am so confused.

How about another option: Keep Ganondorf and Falco only. And have Dedede in place of the other 4. For a solid 22 character roster

You are effectively in this thread saying what you would have done if you could have made one of Sakurais decisions for him. He was faced with this exact decision that he had to make in 2001.

Unique Dedede, actually. The only clone choice that I liked was Falco, and even then I would have picked Dedede over him (and Falco is my Melee main!). While Ganondorf should definitely, definitely be in Smash, he really doesn't make sense as a clone. The other four are just no.

(for the record if SM's post would've have been an option I totally would have gone for that)

3D Player 2004 said:
You are effectively in this thread saying what you would have done if you could have made one of Sakurais decisions for him. He was faced with this exact decision that he had to make in 2001.
How do you know?

Magikrazy said:
3D Player 2004 said:
How do you know?
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/633202-super-smash-bros-for-wii-u/69738724/791368051
"Notably, Sakurai actually claimed that in the time it took to finish the 6 clone characters, he likely could've finished work on Dedede, but looking back on the development period, he was glad that the roster was beefed up a bit."

Northern Verve said:
How about another option: Keep Ganondorf and Falco only. And have Dedede in place of the other 4. For a solid 22 character roster

Per, those are the only two (more so the former) I actually care about.

I actually LIKE some of the clone characters like Roy, Ganondorf and Falco. I don't really like King Dedede but he's okay. I voted the clones.

While I like King Dedede, I prefer the 6 clones because that meant more characters and we still ended up getting King Dedede later.

PeskyPlumbers64 said:
I'll take the unique and the clones as alt costumes.
Yeah because Captain Falcon turning into Ganondorf and still being called Captain Falcon makes total sense. Or what if Marth turned into Roy, but was still called Marth?

Pichu and Young Link can't be made into costumes because their models are different and alt costumes can;t effect character's hurtboxes, hitboxes, etc.

Yeah, making those characters costumes is a dumb idea. The only one that it would make sense to do that with is Dr. Mario.

I don't get what some people's peeves are about clone characters

Falco, Pichu, Young Link, Roy, Ganondorf, and Dr. Mario, technically, are all unique characters.

Baby Man said:
I don't have specific pet peeves about clones as much as I feel Melee was too early in the series to start resorting to clones and I don't like the clone choices.

3D Player 2004 said:
Baby Man said:
I don't have specific pet peeves about clones as much as I feel Melee was too early in the series to start resorting to clones and I don't like the clone choices.
Consider the context, though. The developers took, maybe 6 months, to finish Melee and have it released for the holidays. You know what accompanies such a quick production time? Working long shifts, over time, hardly any vacations. It's understandable that they would put some clone characters in that game.

Back