Votes: 4 18.2%
  • George W. Bush

Votes: 3 13.6%
  • Barack Obama

Votes: 10 45.5%
  • Donald Trump

Votes: 2 9.1%

• Total voters
I voted for James K. Polk, Millard Fillmore, James Buchanan, Abraham Lincoln, Ulysses S. Grant, Teddy Roosevelt, William Howard Taft, Harry S. Truman, John F. Kennedy, Richard Nixon, Ronald Regan, Bill Clinton, George W. Bush, Barack Obama, Donald Trump and my personal favourite MARTIN VAN BUREN

I'll admit half of these are ironic favourites. BUT YOU GOTTA LOVE THE BUREN!

quick question: do all americans have to know their presidents off by heart? i'm curious because i've met a fair few americans who have been quite shocked that i didn't know most of the prime ministers of the UK, so it seems like something that might be taught to you guys and it sticks or summat i dunno

legit i can only name like eight or whatever: Theresa May, David Cameron, Gordon Brown, Tony Blair, John Major, Margaret Thatcher, *great big gap* Winston Churchill, *even greater gap* both the William Pitts (assuming the name William Pitt the younger does refer to there being two William Pitts in charge), and probably around the same time as them, Oliver Cromwell (pretty sure he wasn't actually a prime minister but some sort of mental MP who took over the government

The Entire Galactic Empire said:
quick question: do all americans have to know their presidents off by heart? i'm curious because i've met a fair few americans who have been quite shocked that i didn't know most of the prime ministers of the UK, so it seems like something that might be taught to you guys and it sticks or summat i dunno
It seems like it must be something that used to be taught in school, as I know specifically my grandparents can do it. I never had to learn all of them, though.

sometimes i'll hear about a person who was president once and be like 99% certain they weren't ever president, but it turns out im just a moron

I don't have one

I'm sure most Americans couldn't name every president by heart anyway, don't feel too bad

even if you were forced to remember the names of every president, memories are faulty. chances are, you'll forget some, or even most, of them.

Some courses do require you to memorize presidents but for the most part, since of course you'll forget most of the memorization process, I have to reresearch what they did because I honestly forgot what presidents such as William Taft did.

Gunderson said:
I've no qualms saying what a *bleep* Trump is. When your candidate goes into "Mexicans are rapists" and "Punch him in the face; I'll pay for your legal fees" and "grab her by the pussy" territory, I do absolutely think anyone supports him's a bad person. You just are, especially if you didn't agree with his bigotry but voted for him anyway. I find it extremely difficult to be friends with someone who sees this bloke and concludes "Yes, this is who we want in charge of America's executive".
What crossed the line for me was after the Charlottesville attack, which made a counter-protestor die. Not only he took a long time to denounce the literal Neo-Nazis, he tried to deflect to the counter protestors with his "there is violence on both sides" retort which made the alt-right crowd happy. Is Trump a Neo-Nazi? No. But he's aware that the Neo-Nazis are among his base voters and he's fine with them, completely fine. As long as they vote for him, he's fine.

And there's the whole Alabama race with Roy Moore and the Jones guy and even when it's blatantly obvious Roy Moore is a pedohpile (not to mention, Moore is an unqualified idiot who hates our constitution because it won't allow him to force his religious beliefs on people and he tried defying the courts), Trump and the Republicans, most of them stood by Moore because party loyalty matters more than not putting a criminal in charge.

Magikrazy said:
I'm sure most Americans couldn't name every president by heart anyway, don't feel too bad
I certainly can't, but I don't think I'm missing much if I don't remember the Gilded Age presidents like Chester A. Arthur, Rutherford B. Hayes, James A. Garfield, Cleveland, and Benjamin Harrison.

And even less Americans can name who their senator and secretary of state.

I'm going to ramble and rant again at this point.

We're in a world of people where a very basic poll of some general scientific statements shows disappointing results. A quarter of Americans thinks/believes the sun goes around the Earth and only barely half in the U.S. can answer correctly that electrons are smaller than atoms. The results in other countries aren't encouraging either, for your information. On a side note, the latter link, I'd disagree with 7. the one where it says that "universe began with a huge explosion"; that's not quite true. Big Bang refers to a period of rapid expansion AFTER a particular point in time, but it's not an explanation for how the universe was created. Anyhow, while the results may not comprehensively describe scientific literacy, particularly the difference between "belief" and "knowledge", it's pretty disappointing. Even with the new report in 2018, it hasn't changed much.

But I'm rambling at this point. I really like talking about science and critical thinking. To take away, I think Donald Trump is a symptom of how truly stupid the "commoner" can be, and I'm not all that smart either, as I also struggle to name my state attorney general and my knowledge of what's going on in politics in other countries is really barren.

We all have different opinions on politics, but there's one thing we can all agree on: this guy was the best president ever.

PbHmKUR.jpg

He'd make a better president than Trump, just from these qualities alone, particularly the last one where "Mario is Tolerant".

off the top of my head

washington
adams
jefferson
madison
monroe
quincy adams
jackson
van buren...?
_
_
polk...?