WarioWare Portal

and the award for the most pointless thing i've done in 2015 goes to this

Confused by the character known only as "Fligby", I figured the Japanese version of WarioWare: Touched might give us poor Mariowikian editors a hint at who the character is, so after a few laborious seconds of google searching I found this video and proceeded to write down every minor character's Japanese names and translate them to the best of my ability. Finally, the greatest application for all of the japanese i've learned in my schooling life has presented itself to me.

skipped the main characters and went straight to the minor ones because that's all we care about lmao

I've given notes on quite a few of the translations I'm uncertain about below this huge-ass table which contains their Japanese names, meanings (to the best of my ability) and localised names from the English credits. There were only one or two instances where I couldn't discern a tenten from a maru in that low-quality video and had to go back and fix the translation but I'm certain these are all correctly written down.

Japanese nameMeaningLocalised name
ジミーパパPapa JimmyPapa T.
ジミーママMama JimmyMama T.
ジェイミーJamieJamie T.
ジェイムスJamesJames T.
アートArtArt
デコDecoDeco
かみさまGod1Sewer Guru
もぐタンMole-tanMoles
ケーキやのてんいん みやこCake Shop Employee MiyakoBridget the Baker
まつしかセンセイMatsushika-sensei16Dr. Payne
むしばさんCavity-sanCavity
モナーズ1ごうMona's 1The Yum Yums(???)2
モナーズ2ごうMona's 2The Yum Yums(???)2
モナーズ3ごうMona's 3The Yum Yums(???)2
モナーズ4.1ごうMona's 4.14.1
モナーズ4.2ごうMona's 4.24.2
DJケンDJ KenKen the VJ
フルタマン???-manGarbage Boy15
モナピザてんちょう ジョーMona Pizza Manager JoePizza Joe
うたひめ バネッサDiva3 VanessaVanessa
バンド ダイナソーズBand DinosaursThe Dinosaurs
けいびいんボづとボバSecurity Guards ??? and Boba4The Security Dudes
でんせつのバンド・らTraditional (as in Folk) Band Ra5The Pork Loins
カナブンマルBeetle Maru6Scratchy the 'Fro Bug
えんか さわるタマのすけ???7Sammy Rai
こまいぬポンきちGuardian Dog Ponkichi8Shadow The Dog
はやぶさのハやトHayato the Falcon8Shuriken the Falcon
おさるのマサシMasashi the MonkeyNunchuck the Monkey
アイドルみやこ17Idol Miyako17Luna
コーラスゆかいなヤツらThe (something)9 Chorus GuysAshley's Creepy Crew
スラおSuraoFligby10
ピッグシップPig ShipOrbulon's Oinker
ウチューうさぎSpace RabbitsSpace Bunnies
かしゃ やすこ☆ライトSinger Yasuko☆Light11Sal Out
36ボルトマン36-Volt Man36-Volt Man
マンドラゴラよしおMandragola Yoshio12Nasty Garlic
ワリオウイルスWario VirusWario Virus
わるいウイルスBad Virus13Awful Virus
レポッター ロッキーReporter RockyRocky the Reporter
ライブのめし さちClub Owner Sachi14Sugar The Club Owner
スペシャルさんくす
きみ
Special Thanks
You
Special Thanks
You

1 OK so with かみ I couldn't find a translation I liked that matched or related to "sewer" so I defintely need a second opinion on this one. (I mean, Sewer Guru looks like a god or something but I don't think 'God-sama' or even 'God' works here at all, like, lmao) we use 'God' for the article already so...

2 This appears to be the only discrepancy with the English credits in that The Yum Yums are listed as Mona's pets, named 1, 2, and 3 (which are Mona's Elephant, Pig, Monkey in the English version, respectively). mystery solved, i reckon

3 I mean it's better than 'song princess' but would 'diva' actually be the right word here?

4 ボづとボバ - idk, the と makes me assume that ボづ & ボバ are their names, which aren't given in the English version interestingly enough, but I'm wondering if there's more to that? I'm not sure how to translate the first one if they are actually names.

5 Checked the opening for Mona's stage for clarification and as it turns out, The Pork Loins are just called "Ra" in the Japanese version olololol.

6 Not having any knowledge of Japanese words for certain bug species I've gone with my best attempt at guessing this one.

7 'えんか' being Japanese folk music, 'さわるタマ' being... touching '''''master'''''' idk??, 'すけ' being his name. Enka Sawaru-tama Suke to Japanese Folk Music Touching Master Suke is not a good or accurate translation by any means so I need a bit of help with this one EDIT: on second evaluation his name is likely Tamanosuke, which makes the whole thing a bit easier to phrase, but still halp

8 no idea about the 'guardian dog' bit, never seen that word before so I had to look it up. Note, the names for Shadow and Shuriken might not be accurate either, I hate it when Hiragana and Katakana are mixed up for no reason D:

9 I'm not sure which translation to use for ゆかいな (delightful, funny, merry, idk?). It's not helpful that they're called Ashley's "Creepy" crew in english. also the ヤツら bit confused me a bit so Chorus Guys might not be accurate either.

10 fucking Fligby, I have no idea what to do with its Japanese name other than just romanise it. I even tried trawling the interwebs for any clue as to what スラお might mean in the context of WarioWare but all I got was some Japanese guy on a forum speculating (with no other posts) that it's "the blue guy that comes out of the pot in Ashley's level". maybe I am right???

11 I presume やすこ☆ライト = やすこスターライト = Yasuko Starlight but keeping the translation as Yasuko☆Light should be fine. I see that Sal Out's page has another name already though so maybe we could add this one in as well?

12 yeah this one sucks. mind, I believe Mandragola is the correct katakana translation, but I couldn't find anything relating to the words 'nasty' or 'garlic' for 'Yoshio' so I left it like that. I'm even more skeptical of the translation as it's what Google Translate gave me (and that was a last resort). Help on this one would be appreciated. EDIT: Looking at the game's home menu in the same video it appears the Nasty Garlic is just called マンドラゴラ, so putting Mandragola in the 'other languages' box should be fine

13 I've been taught that わるい usually means bad or evil (and awful to an extent I guess) but I think 'awful' should be used because it'd match the localisation :V. Probably better just to use Bad Virus or something idk

14 Purely speculation/fan-dumb here but maybe the localisation team saw some kind of link between the words さち and さとう and decided to name him 'Sugar' instead of 'Happy' or something, idk I find that funny

15 Ah I missed this, luckily I caught it with preview. Basically, I have no idea what to translate フルタ to.

16 also missed this one lol. I know sensei is used to refer to doctors, teachers, and such but would we put the meaning as Dr. Matsushika or Matsushika-sensei? I haven't added translations to the wiki before, so this issue also applies to other names in this list (e.g. would we use Cavity-san, Mr. Cavity or just Cavity etc.) just checked MW:Japanese (i think I forgot that was a thing) and it says use the second one so yeah nvm. Dr. Payne's article needs to be changed.

Any help with these translations would be very much appreciated. My hope is that we can put all of these names (pending accuracy checks/additional guidance) into the articles we're creating about IMPORTANT warioware characterz

edit - i did forget the romanisations but i am too tired atm to go back and add them all

Time Turner said:
Dumb question: why did you list Mona's no.1, 2, and 3 as being the Yum-Yums instead of Mona's Elephant, Pig, and Monkey?

GBAToad said:
This appears to be the only discrepancy with the English credits in that The Yum Yums are listed as Mona's pets, named 1, 2, and 3 (which are Mona's Elephant, Pig, Monkey in the English version, respectively). mystery solved, i reckon
^
basically because they're in the same location as the Yum Yums in the English version of the credits (between Cavity and 4.1), which doesn't include Mona's Elephant, Pig, and Monkey. obviously i'm left to assume that the yum yums are those characters

I'll throw out that the Mona Pizza article lists "The Yum-Yums" as being a group who sings during the Mona Pizza song, but it lists no source, of course. The placement could be a coincidence, but I'll buy it.

I'm also going to throw out a sudden realization: Mona's hat is totally alive (exhibit one, exhibit two, exhibit three). I'd buy that this is actually Fligby (I don't think the order's very important when the singers from Mona's stage are scattered across the entire list).

You just realized that Mona's hat is alive?

I always thought it was some cartoony facial expression thing that gives humor to inanimate objects mirroring how the characters feel.

Time Turner said:
I'll throw out that the Mona Pizza article lists "The Yum-Yums" as being a group who sings during the Mona Pizza song, but it lists no source, of course. The placement could be a coincidence, but I'll buy it.
m8 it's possible they're one and the same

I'm also going to throw out a sudden realization: Mona's hat is totally alive (exhibit one, exhibit two, exhibit three). I'd buy that this is actually Fligby (I don't think the order's very important when the singers from Mona's stage are scattered across the entire list).
but they're really not, sal out is the singer for mike's stage so her placement between ashley's characters and 9/18 volt's characters makes sense. the only one i'd consider being out-of-place is scratchy.

not that i'm denying mona's hat is a character because it clearly is, i just can't buy something of Mona's being named "Fligby" and somehow being placed amongst characters from Ashley's stage in the credits

The characters I'm talking about are Sal Out, Luna, The Pork Loins, and Sammy Rai. The Pork Loins are listed after most of the other Mona characters despite appearing before them, Sammy Rai appears between Jimmy's stage and Kat and Ana's stage, Luna appears between Kat and Ana's stage and Ashley's stage, and Sal Out appears between Orbulon and Mike. Even if you want to say that they appear when their song appears (which doesn't apply to The Pork Loins and especially Sammy), it just seems like an odd decision to have the characters make physical appearances where they're named and then scatter them across the list.

GBAToad said:
i just can't buy something of Mona's being named "Fligby"
Mona's manager is named Joe. I don't think appropriateness is really a concern.

Time Turner said:
The Pork Loins are listed after most of the other Mona characters despite appearing before them,
this is irrelevant because they're still grouped with the other mona characters who aren't even sorted by order of appearances anyway so!

also note how the characters you think are misplaced are mona's characters, yes, but they're also music acts, and mona's hat doesn't do anything other than... emote i guess

Mona's manager is named Joe. I don't think appropriateness is really a concern.
Well when all of Mona's pets are called "Mona's (something)" in Japanese I think it is a concern that her hat is just called 'Surao'. Joe is his own character who isn't really owned by Mona per se, whereas a hat with facial expressions that doesn't say anything and just sits on her head would probably have a name with reference to it being Mona's.

it was some cartoony facial expression thing that gives humor to inanimate objects mirroring how the characters feel.
Personally I agree with this idea. The hat never does anything in any other WarioWare game and I doubt it'd have a unique name that wasn't Mona's Hat. It's far more likely that Fligby is the blue blob thing from Ashley's stage

but anyway this discussion is really silly because it's about the most minor of minor characters to ever exist in Warioware and i'm likely not going to convince you it's not Mona's hat with circumstantial claims about where things should be placed in the fucking credits of all things.

the only characters we're unsure about are The Yum Yums and Fligby but due to the (believable) assertion that The Yum Yums are Mona's pets, I think we'll be fine if we just leave Fligby alone tbh

i'd rather we focus on getting the translations for the characters i posted above right because at least they can be added to the articles.

Baby Luigi,you own a french version of the game so would it be possible to do the same thing and list all of their French names i guess?????

It's not a French version of the game, it's a PAL version of the game ;) It plays perfectly on my American 3DS so hurray for no region lock I guess. :P

I could look up French names to add in "Names in other languages" sections of these things. And end up screwing translations up.

q: why do we have two separate articles for Bridget and Luna when they look the same, their japanese names are the same (so they're pretty much the same person) and Luna's article basically encompasses Bridget's already?

Time Turner said:
The Luna article refers to both the blue-haired baker in Wario's stage and the blue-haired singer in Mona's stage as one single character (and in fact covers both of them on that article), while the Bridget the Baker article refers to those two as individuals, only saying that Luna "bears a striking resemblance" to Bridget. I mean, the baker and the singer have nearly-identical appearances, but the credits list both Bridget and Luna, which implies that they're separate characters. In any case, having one article repeat the same information as another really doesn't seem good.
m8

well gr8 then it's clearly an issue that needs to be fixed, sorry i missed that

it's evident that they're pretty much the same character from their japanese names (Miyako, and Idol Miyako17), so we either classify them as separate characters and remove all of the info about Bridget from Luna's page (which would be silly imo) or we logically merge them and mention that Luna is probably Bridget's stage name or something

i mean it seems the Luna article has already done that but with the wrong name??

The only thing I keep getting caught up on is the fact that the credits list both "Bridget" and "Luna". While I don't believe in defaulting to the Japanese version, the shared name in the JP version, coupled with the identical appearances, strongly suggest that they're intended to be the same character, but I'm not certain enough to give a definite answer. I'm almost tempted to leave it to a proposal, but it's not worth it for something like this, right?

yeah that gets me as well hmm

they're both pretty minor characters and i'm sure we can just be bold here and merge them together i mean it seems obvious they're the same, plus the Luna article already assumes they are the same anyway

if any complaints arise from that, then it can be taken to a proposal

Bah, let's be bold. Merge the two characters, with "Bridget the Baker" being the article that stays and "Luna" being mentioned in the article as Bridget's stage name.

so i decided to be bold and merged the two articles, and then i came across this image

iefocrK.gif

according to the description, that's luna, and that's official artwork, but that's all on the word of the original uploader

the source (http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20110917173923/wario-ware/images/f/f8/Goodeu2A06090468882-iaza.gif) is a direct link to the same image on wikia, so that's no help, but it's really tripping me up

lol no

a little searching brought me to this page, which is an article on an abandoned """warioware""" wiki that literally has nothing.

not to mention the art style of the image clashes with everything else in the game, i have no idea where the gif is from but it's certainly not from warioware.

Time Turner said:
problem solved (except for the problem of why is that associated with luna)
some fan's interpretation idk ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Time Turner said:
so i decided to be bold and merged the two articles, and then i came across this image

iefocrK.gif

according to the description, that's luna, and that's official artwork, but that's all on the word of the original uploader

the source (http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20110917173923/wario-ware/images/f/f8/Goodeu2A06090468882-iaza.gif) is a direct link to the same image on wikia, so that's no help, but it's really tripping me up
lol, I came across this, and I'm like, "lol that's not Luna at all" and removed it from linking to the Luna article.

Time Turner said:
comic13.png

That's totally Ashley's Creepy Crew (thanks Glowsquid!) and I'll be creating the article based around that.

I should have asked this earlier, but what exactly proves that the monsters in the comic and the unseen background singers are the same other than fan interpretation?

nothing

i don't think it's an unacceptable stretch to say that "ashley's unseen friends" and "ashley's unnamed friends" are likely the same group of characters, though.

Back