Anyone share my views on the Paper Mario series?

Watt644

Goomba
The original is one of my favourite games of all time. I loved everything. The writing, the music, the characters, the feel of the world. The story was simple but charming. It was amazing. I used to play it so much, and I must have played through it at least 10 times.

PM TTYD was great, too, and I felt the battle system was more in depth and the writing was funnier. I disliked the backtracking in some places, but I was still very good. The music was great as well.

SPM didn't appeal to me at all. Let me put it like this: The music wasn't as good as the previous games, the battling was half hearted and barebones, and alot of the the characters and writing reminded me of terrible fan fiction (some of it was good, though).

The gameplay also didn't do it for me. The areas felt bland and poorly designed, and having to switch to Mario to flip was a pain, as well as having a timer for how long you could stay in 3D.

This makes me wonder: what the heck happened? How did they go from the charming genius of the first two games to this unenjoyable mess?

Sticker Star was okay. The battle system was broken, the story and characters were non existent, and some of the puzzles were confusing the first time. Overall, it felt nothing like a Paper Mario game, and should be forgotten like SPM.

Will we ever get a PM game that holds up to the genius of the first two?

After that disaster that was Sticker Star, Paper Mario needs some serious beefing up to get people's interest again.

I also think the first Paper Mario was the best Paper Mario game, out of the two I played of course. I think the crowd gimmick in Thousand Year Door was too much of...a gimmick.

I think Sticker Star is like Castlevania 64 of the Paper Mario Series and Metroid Other M for the Paper Mario series. SPM feels like Castlevania SOTN,Zelda II, Simon's Quest and Paper Mario TTYD wrapped up in one big game

Baby Luigi said:
After that disaster that was Sticker Star, Paper Mario needs some serious beefing up to get people's interest again.

To be honest, I'd like if they cease with the gravedigging and let the series rest. It has been dragged through the dirt enough.

Maybe Retro can get their hands on it and re-vitalize it like with Metroid and Donkey Kong. I have a feeling they're occupied with another Metroid at the moment though.

Anyways Sticker Star is Paper Mario's Other M and Castlevania 64 or Lament of Innocence.

Watt644 said:
We already did, it's called SPM. Sorry, but I strongly disagree with you on that game; I think it holds up perfectly fine. Yeah, it plays different but not bad. And "terrible fan fiction?" Give me a break. Don't lump a great game in with all those Mario/Sonic/My Little Pony crossover nightmares *shudder*

Sticker Star, on the other hand, is pretty bad. They took out everything I loved about the Paper Mario series and replaced it with... broken gameplay, generic worlds, forgettable enemies, and little to no story, the element that made SPM so great to me. It seems the series got better and better with the storyline, then just plummeted to the ground, which is quite sad. I regarded each Paper Mario as the "next chapter of the Paper Mario story," but Sticker Star doesn't even use chapters anymore. Ugh, please make the next one like the first three. Back to the old formula. Thank you.

Too Bad. Waluigi Time. said:
Watt644 said:
We already did, it's called SPM. Sorry, but I strongly disagree with you on that game; I think it holds up perfectly fine. Yeah, it plays different but not bad. And "terrible fan fiction?" Give me a break. Don't lump a great game in with all those Mario/Sonic/My Little Pony crossover nightmares *shudder*

Sticker Star, on the other hand, is pretty bad. They took out everything I loved about the Paper Mario series and replaced it with... broken gameplay, generic worlds, forgettable enemies, and little to no story, the element that made SPM so great to me. It seems the series got better and better with the storyline, then just plummeted to the ground, which is quite sad. I regarded each Paper Mario as the "next chapter of the Paper Mario story," but Sticker Star doesn't even use chapters anymore. Ugh, please make the next one like the first three. Back to the old formula. Thank you.

I guess I'm being a bit too hard on SPM, even though I still feel quite strongly about my dislike of it. Oh well.

I think SPM is like Paper Mario's Castlevania
3ed9a03189231021ee15cf7f2e24b5b9.jpg
Symphony of the Night on Sony PS1 and Sega Saturn (Japan Only),the 2D Mario games,Simon's Quest
1061859291-00.jpg
and Paper Mario TTYD in one big game.

paper mario was classic
ttyd was a classic on top of a classic which made it 2x classy so its double good
spm was classic with a new twist
sticker star took a shit on the meaning of classic

Too Bad. Waluigi Time. said:
Watt644 said:
And "terrible fan fiction?" Give me a break. Don't lump a great game in with all those Mario/Sonic/My Little Pony crossover nightmares *shudder*

I do have to agree with Watt64. Between the very un-Marioey cast, the cliché tragic wuv subplot and the ridiculous backstory (TRIBE OF DARKNESS), SPM really does feel like a fanfiction at time. The best case for this stance are Carson's laughable flavour backstory fragments.

We can only pray for Paper Mario U....

I'd buy the shit out of that game as long as it wasn't a Sticker Star sequel

I think Sticker Star is as disappointing as an equivalent to Paper Mario's Sonic 06,Shadow the Hedgehog and Castlevania 64

YES PWWND, WE GET IT, YOU CAN COMPARE STICKER STAR TO DISAPPOINTING GAMES FROM OTHER SERIES. PLEASE STOP NOW.

Pwwnd123 said:
I think Sticker Star is as disappointing as an equivalent to Paper Mario's Sonic 06,Shadow the Hedgehog and Castlevania 64
Interesting, and what do think of Super Paper Mario?

Magikrazy said:
Pwwnd123 said:
Interesting, and what do think of Super Paper Mario?

I like it.

Me too.

I've noticed the Paper Mario series follows the same pattern as Star Wars.

The first one is great, but doesn't hold a candle to the next few.
The second and third ones are the high points of the series.
The fourth was overhyped, and I was looking forward to them. However, both were disappointments (although Phantom Menace had some redeeming qualities).

The next PM will be the worst one.

Please, Attack of the Clones was an improvement over Phantom Menace, if only marginally so.

I must say PM was too good, brilliant for it's year. It introduced me to the RPG (really, it was my first RPG ever), the turn-based battle was awesome. However, I felt like the battle was a bit boring, some Action Commands were bad. Otherwise It was very very good. The PMTTYD returned the life to the old one, first it just appeared to be a game with enhanced graphic *cough*koopavillage*cough*petalburg*cough* but It was really "a sequal" after all. The Stylish Moves added more fun and challenges to the battle. Some Action Commands were changed. Then comes SPM, I don't consider this a Paper Mario game, it just a game with the name "Paper Mario" in it. It is really an abnormal platformer. It includes many some jokes (although some are very bad). Anyway I didn't play PMSS. But what I can say is that It looks good, the areas are fun to explore, some stickers and ideas are fun. The battle sucks, that's for sure.

Anyway, PMTTYD is the best of the series. And I do not actually wish for a PMU, unless it brings the life back to the original ones.

Magikrazy said:
Me too.

I've noticed the Paper Mario series follows the same pattern as Star Wars.

The first one is great, but doesn't hold a candle to the next few.
The second and third ones are the high points of the series.
The fourth was overhyped, and I was looking forward to them. However, both were disappointments (although Phantom Menace had some redeeming qualities).

The next PM will be the worst one.

I've noted those observations quite some time before

Back