Splatoon

Nabber said:
motion controls are awful and so is the splat charger but luckily you don't have to use either

I wouldn't say the Charger is awful, just not suited to that game mode.

Paul Heyman said:
next, and LAST global testfire session begins in 30 minutes

you best be ready to squid

It feels like it was just yesterday when this started

Still I'm a bit worried about the lack of voice chat. This ended up feeling a lot less team based than I hopes, since I essentially just went my own way trying to spray as much as I could.

I did the testfire on the first one and I couldn't stop laughing by how much fun it was. I was always the one that killed the most people...as well as died the most. I didn't like the charger, and the roller was too op, but I think it was because the maps they chose. I also think it's because I still need to get adjusted to the controls and moving the GamePad around to get used to the shooting weapons, which is most likely why the roller is very powerful right now. I was able to claim a high point after knocking someone down, so I felt like I had a major accomplishment.

Also:

tumblr_no62okagDH1qckz66o1_540.jpg

Nabber said:
Still I'm a bit worried about the lack of voice chat. This ended up feeling a lot less team based than I hopes, since I essentially just went my own way trying to spray as much as I could.

It might change with the addition of new weapons/maps/modes, but given the short time limit, the ability to see the status of the entire map at a glance in real-time, and the option to move to any teammate's position at any time (not just when respawning), I don't think voice chat would have had any practical use.

Thankfully, I played Splatoon Global Testfire during the first round, as I wasn't able to do it during the second and third rounds due to having to be out of the house during that time.

When I got to the game, I chose to use the roller because as soon as I saw the game, I knew I wanted to use the roller since it seems like the easiest to use. I was surprised to see that many people used the rollers too, and at one point I even had a team full of rollers! Of course, I learned in one way that climbing walls is difficult because I wanted to do that, and after spending some time I managed to climb the walls. I noticed that one of my partners wanted to do the same, which looks funny. From the matches that I played, I won 3 rounds and lost 1 of them (though in that one I got the highest score amongst my teammates).

I also liked Squid Jump since it has some depth, such as needing to release the jump at the right time or just enough to get to the next platform.

From my experience, this is a game I don't mind spending money on since it's so much fun! I didn't expect it to be this fun, so colour me interested in getting this game.

Thanks for reading.

Mario4Ever said:
It might change with the addition of new weapons/maps/modes, but given the short time limit, the ability to see the status of the entire map at a glance in real-time, and the option to move to any teammate's position at any time (not just when respawning), I don't think voice chat would have had any practical use.
Especially with how fast paced the game is being able to communicate things like hidden enemies' locations and coordinating teaming up on enemy units or just "you paint over there I'll paint over here" would be invaluable. I don't think the game needs it but if you were to pit a team of players who were communicating against one who wasn't you would immediately see the practical use of it. I think atleast in pubs though I would rather do without it altogether rather than be sitting in my living room with my family listening to me trying to lead a team of 8 year old w+m1 paint roller players.

> LoL doesn't have voice chat. Okay.
> Splatoon doesn't have voice chat, it's a sin by Nintendo (at least to ign).

It's a very straightforward game where you are doing your best to cover the ground and walls with your color paint. You see an enemy, you splat them with your paint. Blank floor, cover it! Enemy paint, paint over it! It's such a fast pace battle that there really isn't even time to talk much during it. The most I could make were laughs, grunts, and "oh come on!" when I got splattered.

Having to have people shout things out at me while I'm already trying to work the motion controls AND move both joysticks AND dodge the enemy attacks AND maneuver in squid form to make sure I have enough Paint AND check the map to see how far we are ahead/behind is going to be more bothersome than worthwhile (and don't say just learn how to multi-task, because I have no trouble with that, but it's definitely annoying when people are pointing out and trying to tell you things when you're already focused on one thing). I mean, sure there are kids that will whine and complain and shout at you like with other voice chats, but I'm more annoyed at the thought of dealing with arguing with teammates over a 3-5 minute battle where there's not much coordination needed. It's not like a misfire kills you, or how dare they save you by taking out the enemy that you were going to take out or share the same ink that doesn't disappear if they use it to refill their ammo.

Basically as everyone else said, it's not needed. I mean, sure if it was just for free matches and they were friends that were organized and worked together well it would be beneficial, but I highly doubt that is what the vast majority of people would use it for. Heck, even if they made it an option, I doubt that many would have it on since they would probably be tired of it feel fast.

Just watched, and really loved the Direct on it. Cannot wait for this game to release.

so apparently, if you play the testfire, you get 10% off of the digital version of the game

that's actually kinda compelling, but i have a gift card anyway, so i think i'll still go with the physical version. we'll see

edit: that offer might only be for europe, actually, not sure

This is too early for me! For me, this event takes place from 6am to 7am. I'll see if I can make it.

Thanks for reading.

Lapis Lazuli said:
> LoL doesn't have voice chat. Okay.
> Splatoon doesn't have voice chat, it's a sin by Nintendo (at least to ign).

LoL is a pc game, every sane person uses Teamspeak or Skype (ew) to communicate. I think that's kinda their point.

I don't play games with voice chat, and I'm not a COD (online multiplayer) fan either.

I just want to buy this game, maybe two days or a week after its launch date.

Back